Coxs River Carp-a-Thon

I went bushwalking this long weekend with a mate and took my light spinning rod along with a few spinners and SPs. Only saw a few small trout, all but 1 of the 20+ streams, creeks, brooks we came across were bone dry. Coxs River was low but jam-packed with fat carp. They were a lot of fun and we even fried one up. Never really fished carp before, I couldn't believe how aggressive they were with the spinners. Followed them in long lines like a parade and didn't stop trying to suck in the lure until they were hooked.

69C8BB26-F3C6-4713-B878-C61889E910EF.jpeg

• Like 2

That's interesting...

I have done some carp fishing but never caught one on a lure even as a by catch of spinning for say redfin or trout.

I am guessing that with the greater numbers with food at a premium they turn to more aggressive feeding.

Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Jim

2 hours ago, fragmeister said:

That's interesting...

I have done some carp fishing but never caught one on a lure even as a by catch of spinning for say redfin or trout.

I am guessing that with the greater numbers with food at a premium they turn to more aggressive feeding.

Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Jim

I think that you're right Jim. Too many Carp and not much food. bn

15 hours ago, ARC H said:

how did it taste??

The taste wasn't bad. I think most people consider them trash fish but I didn't think it was offensive. Maybe it had something to do with them coming out of a pretty clear river? I have never filleted one before and there’s a row of bones I missed which was rather annoying.

The flesh was a nice colour and had a firm texture, had enough fat in it to be nice and moist even though I was dry frying it. Had a more fishy taste than some but I wouldn't call it fishy if that makes sense. I had a little bit of hot sauce with me and it really made it. Talked to another bushwalker who said he eats it all the time, just gives it a bit of spice and its great.

I certainly didn't feel it was a hardship to eat it. Reminded me a bit of catfish actually. In the States catfish is quite popular and they also spice it a lot. Would I order carp over whiting or flathead? Probably not, but I’d give it a 6/10 overall. 

Edited by MainframeJames

7 hours ago, MainframeJames said:

The taste wasn't bad. I think most people consider them trash fish but I didn't think it was offensive. Maybe it had something to do with them coming out of a pretty clear river? I have never filleted one before and there’s a row of bones I missed which was rather annoying.

The flesh was a nice colour and had a firm texture, had enough fat in it to be nice and moist even though I was dry frying it. Had a more fishy taste than some but I wouldn't call it fishy if that makes sense. I had a little bit of hot sauce with me and it really made it. Talked to another bushwalker who said he eats it all the time, just gives it a bit of spice and its great.

I certainly didn't feel it was a hardship to eat it. Reminded me a bit of catfish actually. In the States catfish is quite popular and they also spice it a lot. Would I order carp over whiting or flathead? Probably not, but I’d give it a 6/10 overall. 

Interesting comments MJ. I'd agree with you that the environment where you caught them probably made them palatable. They certainly have a distinct muddy flavour when caught in most places. They are a main food source in lots of countries, we're fortunate enough to have plenty of better options, I reckon. bn

On 03/04/2018 at 12:02 AM, MainframeJames said:

I went bushwalking this long weekend with a mate and took my light spinning rod along with a few spinners and SPs. Only saw a few small trout, all but 1 of the 20+ streams, creeks, brooks we came across were bone dry. Coxs River was low but jam-packed with fat carp. They were a lot of fun and we even fried one up. Never really fished carp before, I couldn't believe how aggressive they were with the spinners. Followed them in long lines like a parade and didn't stop trying to suck in the lure until they were hooked.

69C8BB26-F3C6-4713-B878-C61889E910EF.jpeg

Hello everyone! I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. I’ve fished saltwater since I was a little tacker and started fishing for Carp a few months ago out of curiosity and I’ve had a lot of fun catching them on an UL outfit and 4lb line but I’ve only used bread.and didn’t think they’d take spinners or anything artificial other than a ‘Bread’ fly. 

Anyhow, I caught some last week. I landed six all up and broke off on two others when line contacted stuff underwater.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
  • Like 2

Thanks heaps everyone!

Please doesn’t think ill of me but I truly can’t say where I caught them. Not because I don’t want to share but I gave my word that I’d keep my mouth shut and I just can’t go back on that. I sincerely hope you’ll understand.

In hindsight I probably shouldn’t have posted in the first place but I’m new and don’t know my way around. I was searching Carp saw the original post and thought I’d chime in.

I’d like to hang around and hopefully make some friends too.

Best Regards

Alex. 

Edited by Nuts
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Nuts said:

Thanks heaps everyone!

Please doesn’t think ill of me but I truly can’t say where I caught them. Not because I don’t want to share but I gave my word that I’d keep my mouth shut and I just can’t go back on that. I sincerely hope you’ll understand.

In hindsight I probably shouldn’t have posted in the first place but I’m new and don’t know my way around. I was searching Carp saw the original post and thought I’d chime in.

Best Regards

Alex. 

That's fair enough. Nobody's asking you to give up state secrets, we're just curious. :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MainframeJames said:

That's fair enough. Nobody's asking you to give up state secrets, we're just curious. :)

Hi James,

I’ll gladly share any of my own spots. I joined here to share but I’ve been let into a little group and told to keep quite is all. 

i truly do hope you understand and I’m not coming across as someone I’m not. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nuts said:

Thanks heaps everyone!

Best Regards

Alex. 

Hi Alex welcome to fishraider. If you wish to post pics of captures that you do not wish to share any details about location feel free to post into the Brag board section. It is a collection of pics there and not fishing reports. I have removed the pics from James’ fishing report here. 

Fishraider is all about sharing info for all raider members to enhance their fishing experiences. There are lots of times members want to keep secret about locations etc and they just don’t post ;)

By all means hang around our community and we look forward to reading your reports. You look like a fine angler by the way :)

cheers mrsswordie

Many Thanks mrsswordie and I apologise for the inconvenience. :blush:

I’ll likely fumble my way around for a bit yet before I work things out and I’d like to hang around.

Thanks again! :)

5 hours ago, Nuts said:

I’ll likely fumble my way around for a bit yet before I work things out and I’d like to hang around.

Hey Nuts, don't even give it a second thought. YOU are in control of what you share on here, in regard to what your report contains /omits, nobody else. I would encourage you to do exactly what you are doing. Get involved, put up posts for everyone to read, and enjoy your fishing. No need to beat yourself up mate. bn

6 hours ago, Nuts said:

Most welcome and no inconvenience at all.

I still fumble around after 10 years heh heh

Its ok not to divulge areas like creeks n rivers as they can be overwhelmed by crowds easily  the ocean is a different matter  you can give names of rivers but its up to the individual to decide  some areas cant handle pressure  i dont divulge exacts on my cod spot  same same

Thank again everyone!

If the rest of the community here are as helpful and understanding as the people who responded here I think I’ll be very happy to hang around and share all I can.

For the past two years I’ve  mainly chased Flathead with plastics in Botany Bay and I’ve enjoyed good success. I’m more than happy to share my spots and tactics so I’ll see if I can find a relevant thread and chime in there but I’m not computer literate and only own an IPhone.

Hopefully I won’t get lost. Ah, hahaha!

Tight lines and screaming reels to you all.:)

9 hours ago, Nuts said:

Thank again everyone!

If the rest of the community here are as helpful and understanding as the people who responded here I think I’ll be very happy to hang around and share all I can.

For the past two years I’ve  mainly chased Flathead with plastics in Botany Bay and I’ve enjoyed good success. I’m more than happy to share my spots and tactics so I’ll see if I can find a relevant thread and chime in there but I’m not computer literate and only own an IPhone.

Hopefully I won’t get lost. Ah, hahaha!

Tight lines and screaming reels to you all.:)

99% of my time on Fishraider is via iPhone too