Fly Fishing Tasmania

Hi all,

Had the pleasure of spending a week hiking through the Western Lakes in Tasmania stalking browns on fly. Long story short, the fishing was hard with numbers down on last year. The guys I was with reckon we saw 50% less fish than any other year. Happy to take their word as they have 30 years of annual trips between them. Low water levels following a hot, dry summer appear to be a factor as we found a few almost dead fish in some of the higher, almost dried out tarns. 

All fish caught on dries (adam's parachutes) though we did fish wets early in the trip as it took 3 days before the first scale was turned. Some of the sight fishing was awesome if not infuriating, with the biggest fish of the trip around 5lb with some bigger fish lost.

While the fishing hurt sometimes, the scenery more than made up for it with plenty of wildlife to make up for the fish. 

Here's the highlights: 

• Like 4

Hi jdanger, what a great report and video of your experience in the highlands of Tasmania. Some very nice fish and unusual critters in the mix...very well done. I'm 71 and not very computer literate but can you try to explain how you managed to get the entire "Youtube video" in your post when there is a limit of 4.88 MB? I've compressed photos just to fit into the required parameters. Are we watching a "link", even though the video appears to be in the Fishraider report? Cheers, bn

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi jdanger, what a great report and video of your experience in the highlands of Tasmania. Some very nice fish and unusual critters in the mix...very well done. I'm 71 and not very computer literate but can you try to explain how you managed to get the entire "Youtube video" in your post when there is a limit of 4.88 MB? I've compressed photos just to fit into the required parameters. Are we watching a "link", even though the video appears to be in the Fishraider report? Cheers, bn

Lucky for me youtube videos embed as a link so fishraider doesn't cop the bandwidth. Otherwise i'd be around 100 times over the limit!

Glad you enjoyed the vid neil. No shortage of wierd and wonderful creatures in the Tassie highlands!

• 6 months later...