Rigging your own gang hooks for Tailor?

macca02

Looking to target some tailor off the beaches with Gang hooks, just wondering if anyone here makes up their own and links them with swivels?
if so what hooks e.g. (Gamakatsu Gangsters, Mustad 4202d etc) and swivel brand/size do you use? i feel like it might be a bit of trial an error getting the right hook and swivel combination.

48 minutes ago, macca02 said:

Looking to target some tailor off the beaches with Gang hooks, just wondering if anyone here makes up their own and links them with swivels?
if so what hooks e.g. (Gamakatsu Gangsters, Mustad 4202d etc) and swivel brand/size do you use? i feel like it might be a bit of trial an error getting the right hook and swivel combination.

Back in the day I did a lot of Tailor and Salmon fishing from the beach and really didn't see a need for swivels. I used to buy the (open-eyed) hooks in lots of 50 and gang them together carefully, making sure that the hooks were in line. I used to make up 3 hook gang sets and 4 hook gang sets as sometimes the pillies were small and sometimes quite long. NEVER had any problems with this set up. bn

Standard Mustad 4202's are fine for off the beach, if you are chasing more serious fish Mustad 7766 Tarpons are the way to go, the 4202's are a bit soft, my young bloke landed a 22 kg Spanish Mackeral on a set of 4202's and they were very nearly destroyed in the fight , it was an unlucky fish to say the least!

Guest Guest123456789

Eagle claw 4/0 open eyed hooks. Attach a swivel to the last hook. You’ll need a pair of pliers to close the eyes.

8 hours ago, PaddyT said:

if you are chasing more serious fish Mustad 7766 Tarpons are the way to go

I used to do this. the straight eyes on the 7766 were stronger than the conventional 4202. Now days i use gamakatsu gangsters as they dont rust due to the finish on them and are sharper for longer.

Link them up with size 12 or 10 swivels.

Edited by xerotao
spelling

In my humble opinion Mustad "Limerick' 8260's, Mustad 4200's and Mustad 7766 'Tarpon' are the most economical,efficient and durable hooks for ganging. If you can find some of the older "tinned" varieties rather than the newer "Duratin" treated ones even better as their corrosion resistance was far superior. Some older tackle shops may have a few- these came in the old white paper/cardboard boxes of 100 as opposed to plastic boxed 50's of today.  8260's and 7766's are straight, 4200's kirbed. In my opinion there's no need for a swivel/s in the gang/flight

I usually use small gangs made of baitholders (with bent eyes) for small bait fishing. Caught anything from whiting to small sharks using same gangs in estuary. Though would not use them offshore or on larger pelagics.

I have got some smaller Mustad open eye hooks however their eyes are facing the side (like on inline single lure hooks), not the hook point. Anyone knows the purpose of the design?

On 06/04/2018 at 8:23 PM, xerotao said:

I used to do this. the straight eyes on the 7766 were stronger than the conventional 4202. Now days i use gamakatsu gangsters as they dont rust due to the finish on them and are sharper for longer.

Link them up with size 12 or 10 swivels.

Thanks Xerotao exactly the info i was after.
What brand swivels do you use? And also are you using the straight shank or offset gamakatsu gangsters.

Think i'm going to try them as i have bought pre-made mustad ones before and they're definitely not as sharp as gama's.

I'm going to experiment with some rigged without swivels, one rigged with swivels linking each one, and another rigged with just a swivel on the last one/connecting to the line.

I do think the swivels would allow for extra bait movement and prevent fish throwing the hooks/dehooking themselves.

55 minutes ago, macca02 said:

Thanks Xerotao exactly the info i was after.
What brand swivels do you use? And also are you using the straight shank or offset gamakatsu gangsters.

I just use black instinct swivels

im sure they are offset gangsters

I’ve made a couple sets of ganged hooks for myself. I prefer to chain them together with wire. If you leave the loop of the wire just a bit oversize, then when you crimp it down it acts similar to a swivel except you don’t have to add swivels. I make the bottom hook one size larger than the top 2-3 hooks. 

Due to the flexibility of the wire and the loops, it makes it much harder for the fish to get enough leverage to spit the hooks or open the eyes. The wire also means it stands up to toothy fish without worries. 

Depending on what kind of fishing you’re doing, you can also thread on some lumo beads or tubing over the wire as you go.

I use straight shanks because it's a bit easier to get everything to line up properly without twisting in the water but I’m sure if I wanted to fuss with it a bit more the offsets would work just fine. 

Edited by MainframeJames

14 hours ago, JonD said:

I've caught jews with gang hooks hanging out of their mouths that have opened during who ever it was that hooked them, hence the reason I don't use them. 

Jewies are normally our primary target when fishing the beach so I am too scared to use gang hooks even to get tailor for bait in case we hook a jew and the gangs open up. I have had salmon and kingies open gang hooks more than a few times. I snell 3 octopus hooks close together on 30 or 40lb trace if i need to fish for tailor for bait while jewie fishing.

47 minutes ago, Captain Spanner said:

Jewies are normally our primary target when fishing the beach so I am too scared to use gang hooks even to get tailor for bait in case we hook a jew and the gangs open up. I have had salmon and kingies open gang hooks more than a few times. I snell 3 octopus hooks close together on 30 or 40lb trace if i need to fish for tailor for bait while jewie fishing.

I use ocky hooks with 6/0 to 10/0 the most commonly used by myself. The 10/0 have no problem catching salmon and tailor, at that size there is a good amount of hook sticking out of the fillet allowing for an extremely high hookup rate. I've been surprised to catch even small tailor bellow 2kg with gang hooks hanging from their mouths that have opened during capture.

27 minutes ago, JonD said:

I use ocky hooks with 6/0 to 10/0 the most commonly used by myself. The 10/0 have no problem catching salmon and tailor, at that size there is a good amount of hook sticking out of the fillet allowing for an extremely high hookup rate. I've been surprised to catch even small tailor bellow 2kg with gang hooks hanging from their mouths that have opened during capture.

I use 6/0 - 10/0 octopus or octopus circles for my main Jewie rigs. I just use 4/0-6/0 for the pillie rigs depending on the size of the pillies.