Gerringong & Kiama Fad

Stu-SP

Hey Raiders, 

It was my first time putting the boat in the water since moving down to Gerringong 6 weeks ago. My mate drove down Friday night for an early start in the morning. Our plan was to hit the Kiama Fad then chase either kings or snapper on the way back in. I received a message off another mate saying the fad doesn’t fish that well, but we decided to stick to our original plan.

We launched and Gerringong at 5:45am to see only two trailers in the car park. We found some bait not too far from the boat ramp. The yakkas were thick in numbers! We had about 10-12 so decided to call it and head out to the fad. The wind and swell made it a bit of a lumpy and bumpy trip out, be we arrived smack on 7am. Only about 4 other boats out there at this stage. We put out a few livies and threw stickbaits on the first few drifts. The stick baits only caught the smaller speciemens ranging from 50-60cm. Great fun on light gear, especially when they get aerial. However the livies did the trick on the bigger models. My mate caught his fist ever Dollie going 66cm that went in the esky and about 4-5 others, all released. I managed a keeper, my biggest going 77cm and about 3-4 rats. The wind was picking up and we were down to our last two livies so we decided to to one last run. About 100m past the fad, I start losing line quickly. I saw this one come out of the water and it was the biggest of the day... I tightened up the drag a little as it was heading towards another boat after some solid runs! After a 10minute fight, a failed gaff shot, a failed tail grab we netted her!! She went 102cm and went into the esky for a feed. My mate stil had his last Yakka and we did two more drifts for nothing. Decided to head in to a spot at the back of Rangoon island for some kings. 

We threw plastics and jigs for some rock species them my mates livie got hammered! He had two really solid runs and he couldn’t stop it and it ended busting him off on the reef. We called it for a good king, even though we didn’t get a look at it. The wind started to get up so we called it quits and headed back into the ramp to clean the fish. Pulled the boat out at 11:30am. Dinner was sorted for our family, my friends family and the neighbours for last night and tonight!!

Absolutely loving the south coast!

Tight lines, Stu.

DAC5F690-1FE7-4385-98C6-489B671D72A1.jpeg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Welster said:

Great report and photo.  The last drift comes up trumps again.

Always one more!

9 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Awesome photo! Your both smiling! Gotta love when a plan come together! Well done :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Love it when a plan comes off, also let my mate know that the fad did produce that day ?

9 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Good Dollie mate, so much fun on the light gear 

They are a great sporting fish

25 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Thats a cracker dolly mate well done ! Would have put up an entertaining fight for sure.

By any chance did you check the water temp 

Sorry mate I didn’t, we fished it from 7-9:30am. There was a fair bit of current pushing from the north. The drift was pretty quick but most of our hook ups were after we were south of the fad, sometimes 200m plus.

12 hours ago, rozza_b said:

Nice work and also welcome to town :D one of the trailers you would have seen would have been me and my mate, few nice fish caught over the weekend 

Thanks Rozza! What boat were you in mate and did you have any luck? I’m in a 460 coast runner with a blue bimini. Hopefully I’ll  see you out and about soon and say g’day. I’m keen to learn some local knowledge of the area, it’s a good start!

On 13/04/2018 at 10:13 PM, Stu-SP said:

Thanks Rozza! What boat were you in mate and did you have any luck? I’m in a 460 coast runner with a blue bimini. Hopefully I’ll  see you out and about soon and say g’day. I’m keen to learn some local knowledge of the area, it’s a good start!

Hey mate, yeah got a few reds and bonnies nothing special, got hammered by jackets......was out in my mates open tinny that day think it's blue, mines a 4.8m centre console Quintrex with green sides over white bottom. If you see me about come over and say hi ?

Edited by rozza_b

On 15/04/2018 at 1:26 PM, sam bros said:

Nice work mate

That is a stonker dollie 

Thanks Sam Bros. Tasted amazing too!

I’ll try and upload another pick

8 hours ago, rozza_b said:

Hey mate, yeah got a few reds and bonnies nothing special, got hammered by jackets......was out in my mates open tinny that day think it's blue, mines a 4.8m centre console Quintrex with green sides over white bottom. If you see me about come over and say hi ?

Nice work. Yeah mate I’m sure we’ll cross paths at some stage! I’m looking forward to finding some reds in the area.

A7EAA80C-3203-45FB-BF4C-10FCFC2C8C9D.jpeg

0B6151E8-CF05-4C7E-BEE7-07511B665BE3.jpeg

• Like 1