Painful fish revenge

GoingFishing

I have had many flathead spikes over the years which usually hurt like hell, but yesterday one of those darn bastards got me right on the middle finger, square in the knuckle.

Holy f$&ker it hurt, in fact i laid down in the cabin and im pretty sure i semi-passed out. Most of the time i get spiked from the two spikes off the side of their head but this time it was the tall spike off the top of the dorsal fin that got me. Dont know if that makes any difference

So that got me wondering. Whats your most painful fishing experience???

Mate dropped a flattie on his foot yday and the large spike off the gill embedded in his foot to the bone next to his little toe  the langauge was thick till we got the spike out  i then rubbed slime off the belly of the flattie to relieve the pain  the spike was 10mm long..i couldnt help laughing but he couldnt see the funny side..rick

Had caught a bag of Luderick at the gutters at Fairy Bower and held up my biggest for the day for a comparison to my mates best one,it flipped free of my grip and I instinctively tried to catch it mid air. Bad move me! It turned 180 degrees and the clear tip on the front dorsal  went underneath the nail on my middle finger penetrating about half an inch under and snapped off. I could see it clearly but couldn't get to it to get it out and nearly passed out from the pain. Had a Fortescue and a Black Trevally(Spinefoot)sting both shocking and fractured skull fishing(didn't feel that as out cold) but the Luderick spine was genuinely unbearable and agonising

Flicking big hardbodys fir kings, hooked a big tailor , wasn't happy not a king... skull dragged to the boat, reefed him up, treble got embedded in my inner thigh whilst fish still wriggling, couple of f bombs until I cut the split ring, but I then had to cut my skin with a sharp knife to release the treble ?, mates laughing, I wasn't happy! 

Red rock cod spine deep under my finger nail was pretty extreme, had me vomiting on the boat floor and an extreme temperature for a few hours.

The worst was a small black and white stingray that swam into my face and when I gently tried to guide it over my head it stuck its spine through the palm of my hand ( luckily not in my face). The pain at the time was quit simular to the rock cod and soon spread up my arm stopping me from using it or even moving my fingers. For weeks simply taking a shower and having water drops touch that hand brought back pain like an ellectric shock. It took many months to fully recover, my advice is to be extremely careful around stingrays.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Not sure who wins. Waza or JonD.

Waza how'd you crack your head fishing??

If it's a competition  :) I might just add the pain from a stingray can effect both bladder and bowel functions ( didn't really want to take the story that far :D:D) As mentioned fever but with that comes an almost complete body disfunction, muscles become so relaxed that the vomit and other fluids almost run out of you as you lie on a concrete boat ramp.

Edited by JonD
  • Confused 1

Had a treble go in one side of my finger and out the other. I was in the kayak and would've had to load it back on the car myself, so I had to take it out myself on the kayak. Grabbed my pliers and tried yank it out, took me 8 tries to actually get it out. Was unbelievably painful.

57 minutes ago, JonD said:

If it's a competition  :) I might just add the pain from a stingray can effect both bladder and bowel functions ( didn't really want to take the story that far :D:D) As mentioned fever but with that comes an almost complete body disfunction, muscles become so relaxed that the vomit and other fluids almost run out of you as you lie on a concrete boat ramp.

talk about competitive!!!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Aardvarking said:

Had a treble go in one side of my finger and out the other. I was in the kayak and would've had to load it back on the car myself, so I had to take it out myself on the kayak. Grabbed my pliers and tried yank it out, took me 8 tries to actually get it out. Was unbelievably painful.

Better to cut the hook so you can push it thru without the barb... Still hurts like crazy though. 

when I was 14b was wrestling with a mate in my bed room somehow ended up with one barb of a hand spear in my thigh had to be cut out 18 stitches but more shock and worry at that age than pain just thought Id tell the story :)

G'day Nutsabtfishn I used to fish The Mattens at Dover Heights(for 22yrs) and due to effort involved getting down the cliff we nearly always stayed overnight. On the 'skull' trip  we got to the clifftop to view the swell on arrival and there was still a 'westerly rollback swell' rolling in which was too big. We normally would have gone and fished White Rock at Bradleys Head instead  but there was a gale-force westerly forecast for that night,meaning excellent fishing on the first morning after the big swell. Without knowledge of the westerly coming we wouldn't have gone down,but we decided we could always go and fish up on "Magpie" as it was still too rough on the lower ledges. Magpie was a 8x12ft wind eroded 'ledge' that sat about 60 ft above the sea on a section of cliff that was undercut and you could drop straight below into great snapper water. Only problem getting to magpie was a section where you had to lean in facing the cliff and shuffle along a foot wide ledge for about ten or so feet,then the ledge widened to about 3ft for about 10yards then a little wider at the spot. When you leaned in, at your back was a 60ft sheer drop to the water. After fishing for a few hours we decided to go back to our gear base 'the cave' as it's known,for a feed and to store our fish. We then went to climb  back up on "magpie"(Eastern suburbs anglers club calls the spot 'scarecrow'- AFA(my old) club call it "magpie") to resume fishing. On this trip we'd taken a new member 'Bob' who was on his third trip down the cliffs, so mate Ross and I carried the gear and Bob had the torch. Ross inched across first followed by Bob,then I passed the rods along and leaned into the wall. Nearly at the 'wider' part you couldn't see your feet as several smaller protruding ledges about chest high needed to be negotiated past. Bob unknowingly shone the torch in my eyes and I became momentarily blinded- at the worst imaginable spot. I knew that any movement left was a 60ft drop to certain death,so I dived in to the right and belted my forehead on one of the small protruding ledges. I remember rolling left and then blacked out. When I awoke about half an hour later, Bob was kneeling just past me and was holding my left arm, I was on my back and my right leg was dangling over the edge. Ross had managed to climb past/over me and had gone back to the cave to grab the 50 metre pulley rope. I tried to move but was too dizzy,then Ross was back with the rope. They decided the only thing they could do was tie my left arm to the cliff in one direction and my left leg to the cliff in the other direction.No helicopter or other rescue method was possible from this location as it was a wind-eroded ledge,cut  into a 400 ft high cliff wall and I remained there for about two hours until I felt stable enough to move,as I still had to negotiate the narrow part to get back to relative safety. All I remember about inching along that part of the cliff is that they re-tied the rope around my waist and one each about ten feet either side of me kept me in towards the cliff. That part negotiated and I managed to climb the eight feet back down to the cave. We were expecting four more guys from the club to join us during the night and just stayed at the cave until they arrived about 1am. We had a tiny first-aid kit(first time we'd taken one in years) that had 1 small bandage and someone put it on me. There was heaps of blood,but it had dried and matted with my hair. The sea got pretty big that night and we saw the lights of our mates coming down the cliff,some 800 metres away. It took them over an hour to do the usual 20 minute walk from the climb to the cave as they had to go well up into an area of huge fallen boulders about 100 metres back from the ocean to avoid the sea and nobody fished again that night.  I still had to climb the cliff the next day and the boys put a 'safety rope' around me keeping the rope fairly tight as I climbed the 140 odd foot wall. I went to Western Suburbs Hospital and had a small skull fracture and delayed concussion.  There are several reasons I put this whole story on. Firstly, Don't go rockfishing when the swells up even if the forecast/weather map are favourable,go home and return when suitable. Don't fish spots such as magpie where no help is even possible as things DO go wrong. Always have an adequate first aid kit. Take the time to formulate several 'emergency' strategies for worst case scenarios and make sure your "location and duration" are known to others so as to alert help 

37 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

G'day Nutsabtfishn I used to fish The Mattens at Dover Heights(for 22yrs) and due to effort involved getting down the cliff we nearly always stayed overnight. On the 'skull' trip  we got to the clifftop to view the swell on arrival and there was still a 'westerly rollback swell' rolling in which was too big. We normally would have gone and fished White Rock at Bradleys Head instead  but there was a gale-force westerly forecast for that night,meaning excellent fishing on the first morning after the big swell. Without knowledge of the westerly coming we wouldn't have gone down,but we decided we could always go and fish up on "Magpie" as it was still too rough on the lower ledges. Magpie was a 8x12ft wind eroded 'ledge' that sat about 60 ft above the sea on a section of cliff that was undercut and you could drop straight below into great snapper water. Only problem getting to magpie was a section where you had to lean in facing the cliff and shuffle along a foot wide ledge for about ten or so feet,then the ledge widened to about 3ft for about 10yards then a little wider at the spot. When you leaned in, at your back was a 60ft sheer drop to the water. After fishing for a few hours we decided to go back to our gear base 'the cave' as it's known,for a feed and to store our fish. We then went to climb  back up on "magpie"(Eastern suburbs anglers club calls the spot 'scarecrow'- AFA(my old) club call it "magpie") to resume fishing. On this trip we'd taken a new member 'Bob' who was on his third trip down the cliffs, so mate Ross and I carried the gear and Bob had the torch. Ross inched across first followed by Bob,then I passed the rods along and leaned into the wall. Nearly at the 'wider' part you couldn't see your feet as several smaller protruding ledges about chest high needed to be negotiated past. Bob unknowingly shone the torch in my eyes and I became momentarily blinded- at the worst imaginable spot. I knew that any movement left was a 60ft drop to certain death,so I dived in to the right and belted my forehead on one of the small protruding ledges. I remember rolling left and then blacked out. When I awoke about half an hour later, Bob was kneeling just past me and was holding my left arm, I was on my back and my right leg was dangling over the edge. Ross had managed to climb past/over me and had gone back to the cave to grab the 50 metre pulley rope. I tried to move but was too dizzy,then Ross was back with the rope. They decided the only thing they could do was tie my left arm to the cliff in one direction and my left leg to the cliff in the other direction.No helicopter or other rescue method was possible from this location as it was a wind-eroded ledge,cut  into a 400 ft high cliff wall and I remained there for about two hours until I felt stable enough to move,as I still had to negotiate the narrow part to get back to relative safety. All I remember about inching along that part of the cliff is that they re-tied the rope around my waist and one each about ten feet either side of me kept me in towards the cliff. That part negotiated and I managed to climb the eight feet back down to the cave. We were expecting four more guys from the club to join us during the night and just stayed at the cave until they arrived about 1am. We had a tiny first-aid kit(first time we'd taken one in years) that had 1 small bandage and someone put it on me. There was heaps of blood,but it had dried and matted with my hair. The sea got pretty big that night and we saw the lights of our mates coming down the cliff,some 800 metres away. It took them over an hour to do the usual 20 minute walk from the climb to the cave as they had to go well up into an area of huge fallen boulders about 100 metres back from the ocean to avoid the sea and nobody fished again that night.  I still had to climb the cliff the next day and the boys put a 'safety rope' around me keeping the rope fairly tight as I climbed the 140 odd foot wall. I went to Western Suburbs Hospital and had a small skull fracture and delayed concussion.  There are several reasons I put this whole story on. Firstly, Don't go rockfishing when the swells up even if the forecast/weather map are favourable,go home and return when suitable. Don't fish spots such as magpie where no help is even possible as things DO go wrong. Always have an adequate first aid kit. Take the time to formulate several 'emergency' strategies for worst case scenarios and make sure your "location and duration" are known to others so as to alert help 

Great story, glad you survived to pass the wisdom learnt.

I was spinning for tuna in Stockton bight years ago in the boat when my bro/in law went to cast an 85 gram lure and the bail arm snapped shut the lure came flying round and buried two hooks of the treble in my upper forearm..we had to get the lure off the split ring then cut the hooks apart with sidecutters as the hooks had buried in the muscle and I couldn't move my hand..he couldn't drive a manual so I had to drive landcruisert home one handed and back boat in then off to hospital for an hour of surgical removal...not fun...rick