Recent outings

Hi Raiders, I just want to relate my experiences from the last few outings on the Murrumbidgee. I've been trying a lot of different techniques of late, with some success.

A few weeks back I went out for a night session off the beach. We arrived about 2 hours before dark and lugged all the gear to the water's edge. It was very low water level as we each cast our 2 rods into the deeper water located along the far bank. I had cheese on 1 rod and shrimps on a paternoster rig on the other. The area has been noted for some fine Yellas, over the years. 2 hours later and pitch dark all 6 rods go off at the same time. Sounded like someone playing "jingle bells". The other guys each had 2 small yellas and I landed 2 small Cod. NOT BAD...6 fish in a few hours. As suddenly as the bites started, they stopped and after a further hour and a half we started to pack up. Last thing to be packed up was the rods and one guy had a nice, solid 50cm Yella on which must have attached while we were loading the car. Pic of the larger Cod which I caught. Didn't get a pic of the Yella as we were packed up.

.IMG_0230rs.thumb.jpg.4433837379ceb7cd2f6e7ebfa8748ef3.jpg

The next session saw me casting spinnerbaits for hours with no result. Settled down for a bite and coffee and lobbed some bait rods in. Nothing for half an hour and then these 2 keepers at the same time.

IMG_0305rs.thumb.jpg.e8d28bae974037a189b7660fdd8b5fa5.jpg

The other day I spent 5 hrs with a mate casting lures. We tried some trolling of deep divers, Nothing doing. Casting lures and spinnerbaits into the snags brought the same result. We agreed that we'd give it another half hour and moved further upstream. There was a promising stretch ahead of us on both sides of the river so we lobbed the electric in and started cruising, adjacent to the snags. I got a nice Cod of 58cm on a spinnerbait and our enthusiasm lifted immediately. Then nothing for about 20 minutes as we crossed to the other bank. Luke had a lure on and was just about to drag it out of the water when it was absolutely hammered by a good fish, which took off for home like a rocket. A nice battle pursued, for about 5 mins, the fish pulling line desperately, before a very healthy, feisty Cod of 72cm joined us on board.

20180407_114344.thumb.jpg.56a083c5f0581625042d66d21bbd6f98.jpg

Conclusion from the past month or so is that the fish are feeding, but only for short periods of time and the times are very variable. Water levels are getting very low and there's no current, so bait fishing will be extremely difficult. Time to get some serious lure fishing done while I can still launch the boat. Cheers, bn

IMG_0226rs (2).jpg

• Like 5

Not bad mate ..72 getting up there 

Would of been mayhem with all the rods going off at once 

I'm going down for a cast tonight with the boys (haven't been for weeks )

Let Yas know if I do any good 

Cheers 

On 09/04/2018 at 10:04 AM, big Neil said:

Hi Raiders, I just want to relate my experiences from the last few outings on the Murrumbidgee. I've been trying a lot of different techniques of late, with some success.

A few weeks back I went out for a night session off the beach. We arrived about 2 hours before dark and lugged all the gear to the water's edge. It was very low water level as we each cast our 2 rods into the deeper water located along the far bank. I had cheese on 1 rod and shrimps on a paternoster rig on the other. The area has been noted for some fine Yellas, over the years. 2 hours later and pitch dark all 6 rods go off at the same time. Sounded like someone playing "jingle bells". The other guys each had 2 small yellas and I landed 2 small Cod. NOT BAD...6 fish in a few hours. As suddenly as the bites started, they stopped and after a further hour and a half we started to pack up. Last thing to be packed up was the rods and one guy had a nice, solid 50cm Yella on which must have attached while we were loading the car. Pic of the larger Cod which I caught. Didn't get a pic of the Yella as we were packed up.

.IMG_0230rs.thumb.jpg.4433837379ceb7cd2f6e7ebfa8748ef3.jpg

The next session saw me casting spinnerbaits for hours with no result. Settled down for a bite and coffee and lobbed some bait rods in. Nothing for half an hour and then these 2 keepers at the same time.

IMG_0305rs.thumb.jpg.e8d28bae974037a189b7660fdd8b5fa5.jpg

The other day I spent 5 hrs with a mate casting lures. We tried some trolling of deep divers, Nothing doing. Casting lures and spinnerbaits into the snags brought the same result. We agreed that we'd give it another half hour and moved further upstream. There was a promising stretch ahead of us on both sides of the river so we lobbed the electric in and started cruising, adjacent to the snags. I got a nice Cod of 58cm on a spinnerbait and our enthusiasm lifted immediately. Then nothing for about 20 minutes as we crossed to the other bank. Luke had a lure on and was just about to drag it out of the water when it was absolutely hammered by a good fish, which took off for home like a rocket. A nice battle pursued, for about 5 mins, the fish pulling line desperately, before a very healthy, feisty Cod of 72cm joined us on board.

20180407_114344.thumb.jpg.56a083c5f0581625042d66d21bbd6f98.jpg

Conclusion from the past month or so is that the fish are feeding, but only for short periods of time and the times are very variable. Water levels are getting very low and there's no current, so bait fishing will be extremely difficult. Time to get some serious lure fishing done while I can still launch the boat. Cheers, bn

IMG_0226rs (2).jpg

Hey big Neil did you see that big one caught down your way in the Leeton bidgey classic went 1220 mm caught on a Bardi grub absolute beast ...motivated me to get out there that's for sure didn't catch anything last night ...maybe tonight ?

• Like 1