Any tips on where are the land base spots on Hamilton Island?

elite

Hi Raiders,

Heading to Hamilton Island in a couple weeks and will get on a charter.  No time to rent a dinghy as well as doing a charter unfortunately.

However ,  I would really like to do my own fishing land based.

Will be taking up 2 rods (light and a Mid to heavy range) - 4,000 Daiwa and 10,000 Shimano Saragossa + Lures.

I've read posts here from years ago and hoping I could get a more current suggestions.

Thanks in advance all!

There are quite a few spots you can wander too (or if you have one of the golf carts, drive too).  The first would be the rock wall protecting the boat harbour, plenty of GT's and small Queenies to be had along there.  There is also a small wharf nearby (off Airport Drive) that I believe is accessible but never fished it myself.

What I did last time I was there was take a walk north, there is a good walking track and the beaches you can access all have good reef edges and sand to fish.  I got plenty of little reefies and pelagics on a mix of plastics along there, the best one I found was Catseye Beach (I think?).  I am sure there are better fish there, but I didn't encounter them that trip.  There are more beaches and headlands to look at too.

The 10,000 Saragosa is an overkill I would think though? 

Cheers

Windy

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

There are quite a few spots you can wander too (or if you have one of the golf carts, drive too).  The first would be the rock wall protecting the boat harbour, plenty of GT's and small Queenies to be had along there.  There is also a small wharf nearby (off Airport Drive) that I believe is accessible but never fished it myself.

What I did last time I was there was take a walk north, there is a good walking track and the beaches you can access all have good reef edges and sand to fish.  I got plenty of little reefies and pelagics on a mix of plastics along there, the best one I found was Catseye Beach (I think?).  I am sure there are better fish there, but I didn't encounter them that trip.  There are more beaches and headlands to look at too.

The 10,000 Saragosa is an overkill I would think though? 

Cheers

Windy

Thanks Windy!

I was hoping to use the sargaossa for livebait under a float for any thing big that happens to take it...hopefully stop it with that

Cool - i'll scope the area

I'll take extra lures