Wooli - Spanish Mac with video

Scratchie

G’day raiders,

just a quick report for today because I’m completely stuffed. Left the bay at 130am with mate Dom and Bevy. Arrived at Wooli at 7am. Boat in the water by 730 and headed out the bar. For anyone who hasn’t done that, take a change of undies! 

Anyway, we collected bait, headed to our mark. Trolled live bait for a while then we seen a whoosh. The boys threw some sticky’s and we’re on! Long story short, managed one big Spanish each (12kg range) a couple a Mac tuna released and made it back to the cabin safely! 

Bring on day two!!!!!! 

058B40AD-2933-4629-AF52-1C66B9D1CEE8.thumb.jpeg.3a54d5c521132a9acb16f9a1e64ca03d.jpeg0580D507-FE73-48B7-8641-3D937F899ECB.thumb.png.10bc3389b2b0a24277fe1da2e351d3dd.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Some good fish there mate.

Not much room left in that fridge/freezer

Cheers! Agree, not sure where to put the rest if we head out tomorrow! Weather not looking that good! :(

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, JonD said:

I should be there but my daughter has gone to Mallacoota bream fishing with her boyfriend :angry2: it's time for me to find a more reliable fishing buddy:angry:

Well Jon, the drive was worth it yesterday but looks like we’re land locked today! 

Thank you so much for your intel. It took a little while before they turned up but they were pretty much where you said! It was interesting to note that they wouldn’t touch the livies but loved the stick baits. 

Thanks to the other raiders too that offered up information. And to rickmarlin who text me a few gps marks! Your all champions! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Well Jon, the drive was worth it yesterday but looks like we’re land locked today! 

Thank you so much for your intel. It took a little while before they turned up but they were pretty much where you said! It was interesting to note that they wouldn’t touch the livies but loved the stick baits. 

Thanks to the other raiders too that offered up information. And to rickmarlin who text me a few gps marks! Your all champions! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

It's quite a trip from down here in Narooma, the worst is getting around Sydney with a boat I find.

My plan b is the shore when the wind picks up, just find a deep looking gutter and flick a big bait into it. On one trip we had two jews first and second cast 10kg and 12 kg. Second night we had a big tailor first cast followed by two more jews after cutting up the tailor as bait, lost a very big Jew in the surf when the 80lb leader broke.

The river fishes well for bream and flathead too but if you don't mind the light class gear.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JonD said:

It's quite a trip from down here in Narooma, the worst is getting around Sydney with a boat I find.

My plan b is the shore when the wind picks up, just find a deep looking gutter and flick a big bait into it. On one trip we had two jews first and second cast 10kg and 12 kg. Second night we had a big tailor first cast followed by two more jews after cutting up the tailor as bait, lost a very big Jew in the surf when the 80lb leader broke.

The river fishes well for bream and flathead too but if you don't mind the light class gear.

Thanks Jon! We are going to fish the wall and beach for something different. The bar would have been ok this morning but nowhere to hide out there. It’s blowing 25kts now s/w. Might pull the pin tonight and head to crowdy early morning! 

We found our jews further north up the beach ( mid town ) which was a short walk from where we were staying. There were small Jews from the breakwall but only about 50cm. Not sure if you're caught many jews but we followed our noses when we caught them, we could literally smell them ( part of being in such good numbers up there ). 

The south west should still be ok for the shore.

• Thanks 1

Hi Scratchie I was in Port Stephens for a wedding last weekend no fishing though - went for a drive with the better half headed out to Anna Bay and checked out Boat Harbour while doing a lap low and behold what do I see, a boat in then driveway with the un mistakable Markings "Scratchie" 

I could not stop laughing all this time reading Fishraider articles and there your boat was, nice rig by the way

Blairy

7 hours ago, blairy69 said:

Hi Scratchie I was in Port Stephens for a wedding last weekend no fishing though - went for a drive with the better half headed out to Anna Bay and checked out Boat Harbour while doing a lap low and behold what do I see, a boat in then driveway with the un mistakable Markings "Scratchie" 

I could not stop laughing all this time reading Fishraider articles and there your boat was, nice rig by the way

Blairy

Well that’s disappointing! Traveling to Port Stephens and not wetting a line. :(

And yes it was definitely mine! Tough part of Australia to live in but someone’s gotta do it. 

I'm not sure if Port Stevens is to big a place to know most boat fishers but a friend of mine moved there a few years back Tony Dawson, not sure what boat he now owns. Just thought if you were that prominent in town to find maybe you knew him too.

Great post as usual scratchie :biggrinthumb:

I actually didn't realize mackerel made their way done the NSW coast so far.

Just one thing Id like to suggest is that if you intend to freeze any kind of meat or fish a food vac machine is worth its weight in gold.

It will reduce freezer burn & keep the fish/meat so much longer. 

I find mine essential for when I catch more than I can eat or when I take game like deer or rabbits that I want to enjoy 3 or 6 months later ;)