Stella 8000SW vs Saltiga 5000

mii11x

Hi guys,

I'll keep it short........Stella 8000SW vs Saltiga 5000.  Both in the low speed models.

Which would you spend your hard earned on and why?

Fishing will be boat based and targeting mulloway with bait.  Rods they will be fitted to are live fibre texaliums 8-15kg 7 foot spin.  I know its overkill really for mulloway, but I like using nice gear and dont mind spending the money.  One day I might get begin targeting kings so they can be used for them also.

Ive read Alan Hawkes reviews already and still undecided.  Both have their good and bad points for high end reels.  This weekend hopefully ill get to some tackle shops and trial fit both on the mentioned rods.

Cheers

Mick

I would head towards the Stella too without looking to to deeply. In saying that I've had little to do with the high end Daiwa. That's just my thoughts right now but if I was about to spend that sort of money I would really be researching deeper and could quite easily go either way on my choice. My local tackle dealer who I trust on his advice is saying some very good things about Daiwa and their customer service, I get the impression their focus is heading more towards customer satisfaction in a product over extreme bulk sales.

16 hours ago, xerotao said:

I prefer stellas just based purely on ease of service with the stella not requiring mag seal fluids

Isn't the purpose of that is so they rarely need services. I tend to look after my reels washing them down with salta way and then giving them a light lubricant spray. I've only had to have two reels main gears serviced in the last 20years. 

Anyone who has fished on Narooma' s top considered game boats ( PlayStation and Nitro ) will know both boats are fitted out with high end Daiwa gear. 

Have you looked at the Alan Hawk reviews.

47 minutes ago, JonD said:

Isn't the purpose of that is so they rarely need services.

Have you looked at the Alan Hawk reviews.

Yes the purpose of magseal is to protect the internals. But when the fluids run out. I dont like the idea of forking out about $50 per magseal and also daiwa refusing to sell the fluid.

the reviews of alan hawks saltiga was a good. But he also removed (later reinstated) his review on the saltiga due the same reason above

http://www.alanhawk.com/misc/mags.html

but i dont always agree with his reviews as i just recently purchased a jdm spheros. But thats another story

• Like 1

Interesting that you say that Jon , my local tackle store has had nothing but problems with D and that matches my own experience, but i know guys who swear by the D brand too! My experiences have been reels sitting at D for 2 months before they are even looked at and Shimano getting reels back to me inside 10 days- i know service is not the only issue but if there is a problem with reel worth a grand or so- i want it looked at in a timely matter. For the record I have 2 Stella's-a 4000 which gets flogged and doesnt miss a beat and is the outfit that everyone who steps on my boat loves to grab, the other is a 20000 which I hardly use , too be honest I would probably just go with Saragosa's these days(got a 5000 and a 10000- both get flogged) and they seem unbreakable and damn good value for money- my two cents

Totally agree on the Alan Hawk reviews, it's rare for him to do reviews after months of hard use on reels.

I too have had issues with mid priced $300-$400 Daiwa reels, as mentioned above the only two reels needing services to the main gears happened to both be Daiwa less than 12 month old. I've also had a couple of other Daiwas fall apart which Daiwa claimed was my responsibility to check all screws on a new reel. The knob ( on the handle ) also fell off my mates dogfight on its first trip offshore. It's for those reasons I stayed clear of Daiwa for around the last 7 years, saying that I've bought two mid priced ones after my tackle stores owners advice in the last 12 months and am more than happy.

My local tackle shop told me Daiwa have been a tad slow of late for service and spares, although he said it’s taking weeks now, not months. I have a Fuego and broke the plastic part where the bail arm roller mounts. No fault of the reel, mind you - I rested the rod and reel on a seat to rerig and a swell knocked me a little off balance and I sat down on it! They put the order through on the Tuesday after Easter but it’s not here yet. So, I just bought another reel because I wanted to fish tomorrow - that’s my excuse anyway, even though I have plenty of outfits! Anyway, I’m happy with the reel itself.

• Like 1

Cheers fellas.

I have read AH reviews and statement etc.  My major concern is about servicing.  I can speak from experience with Daiwa service department taking more than 3 months in the past to service my sol 3000 and tierra 2500. 

While I comfortable performing general maintenance after each trip, servicing drags and line rollers, I don't have the ability to completely strip down a reel to service myself, so this will be a major part of my decision.

1 hour ago, mii11x said:

Cheers fellas.

I have read AH reviews and statement etc.  My major concern is about servicing.  I can speak from experience with Daiwa service department taking more than 3 months in the past to service my sol 3000 and tierra 2500. 

While I comfortable performing general maintenance after each trip, servicing drags and line rollers, I don't have the ability to completely strip down a reel to service myself, so this will be a major part of my decision.

my reels get no more than a rinse, wash with sudsy water and a re-rinse- good thing about Stella's , Saragosa's et al is that they are (ab)use and forget , I havent even looked at the line roller on my 6 year old 4000 other than to check it is still rolling (it does) , its caught well over 200 kings , crap loads of tuna, mackeral, dollies, bonito and a few jew- its tough as nails and comes out every trip and sits in front of my boat console where it cops spray, bangs, bumps and everything else- great reel

As an update, today I went to a tackle shop that had the reels I wanted to check out on my rods.  Im glad I did.  Looks like another spanner has been thrown into the works lol.  While the 8000stella felt great, the 14000stella seemed a better feel to me.  

I did try the saltigas I originally had my heart set on, but both the stella's felt nicer than the 5000 and 6500 saltiga on the rod.  My 40th in a couple of weeks, so will go and toss a coin to make my decision on which size stella's ill be getting myself for my birthday.

On 4/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, mii11x said:

As an update, today I went to a tackle shop that had the reels I wanted to check out on my rods.  Im glad I did.  Looks like another spanner has been thrown into the works lol.  While the 8000stella felt great, the 14000stella seemed a better feel to me.  

I did try the saltigas I originally had my heart set on, but both the stella's felt nicer than the 5000 and 6500 saltiga on the rod.  My 40th in a couple of weeks, so will go and toss a coin to make my decision on which size stella's ill be getting myself for my birthday.

Happy birthday (when it comes up) and I hope you catch heaps with the new reel. Cheers, bn

On 4/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, mii11x said:

Happy future birthday. I have a feeling there will be a new saltwater stella coming out this year. May see if they will release one around August. And MAYBE the current 2013 swb models may go on sale

18 hours ago, xerotao said:

Happy future birthday. I have a feeling there will be a new saltwater stella coming out this year. May see if they will release one around August. And MAYBE the current 2013 swb models may go on sale

I thought there were rumours of freshwater varieties