Help with surf/rocks rod reel set-up

JeffCarrera

Hi everyone,

I've been reading up on many threads on this forum and I'd like to thank everyone as I've learned heaps. I haven't really contributed much as I still consider myself a beginner, having caught only yakkas, leatherjackets, tons of baby breams and snappers (which were lovingly released back!). I've caught my first big fish (57cm bonito) the other week off the rocks at Central coast which has gotten me really excited and which leads to my inquiry:

I'm looking to get an affordable rod/reel set-up for surf/rock fishing. I'm looking to catch mainly mackerels, bonitos, trevally and of course kingfish. I'm looking to get either the 10ft (10-15kg) Penn Prevail or an 11ft (9-15kg) Daiwa Lateo. I do mostly bait fishing, but lure fishing (poppers, metal lures etc) is something I'd like to do more of. I did get myself an 10ft Ugly stik gold 6-10kg rod just this week and after giving it a go today surf fishing, I found it too heavy to be casting and reeling in for more than half an hour. I didn't think it was that heavy when I was at the store but on the beach it felt really heavy my and arm was sore after half an hour. I'd still keep the rod as a back-up, one can never have too many rods I suppose! I guess between this two rods I mentioned above, I'd like to get the lighter and more reliable rod, even if I need to pay more. Any advice on which one you think would suit my needs would be appreciated.

As for the reel set-up, is it considered excessive if I pair a 10-15 kg line weight rod with a reel on 50lb braid? Same with the rod, I'd like to get the lightest reel I can buy (with my budget) and hoping to get away with a smaller size reel which means it is suited for lighter pound braid. Is water-proofing important to you guys when you choose a reel or you can get away with meticulous maintenance habits to keep the reel in top shape (rinsing/dunking in warm fresh water to get rid of salt etc..), or is full water proofing a marketing thing from the brands?

Cheers and thanks in advance for any advice!

Guest Guest123456789

Some good questions and context there Jeff. Congratulations on the bonito that’s a great size.

Id get two set ups, a light set up and a heavy set up. The main reason is those species chase small white bait through to largish garfish and at times you need a 2 inch lure and at other times 5 inch plus. You also encounter schools of different sizes so it’s handy to have different set ups for small schools vs large schools. It’s also good for redundancy, something breaks you can keep fishing with your back up rod.

If I fish the skillion, Avoca or winney my light set up is a bream type set up 2500 reel, 6lbs braid and 6lbs leader. Rod length 7 foot 2-4kgs breaking strain. My heavy set up is a 5000 reel with 20lbs braid and 20lbs leader. Rod length 7 foot with 6-12kgs breaking strain. Graphite rods.

certain spots need a 12 foot rod for the heavy set up so it could be an idea to get this as a third rod for you heavy reel.

250 metres of Daiwa x4 j braid (x8 if you’re rich).

A 50lbs braid set up is overkill for most of what you’ll encounter (ie rat kings and bonito). Something larger though and it will be handy. Just be careful getting a rod with a lighter breaking strain that your line as you risk snapping your rod

There no such thing as a fully waterproof maintenance free reel. A $200 reel that’s looked after will last 3 plus years. By all means pay $800+ - it will be better quality but you can get away with something cheaper.

good luck with it mate!

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Hi Flatheadluke and Bluefin, thanks for the response.

flatheadluke, I do already have a light set-up, 7ft rod with 2500 sienna on 8lb braid and 10 pound leader. I went to the shop today and got a good deal on the penn prevail. I've yet to get a reel to match it, but thinking of getting a penn conflict or conflict two in medium size maybe 4000-5000 size on 30lb braid.

I agree 50lbs braid might be overkill for the fish I'll encounter 90%of the time fishing the rocks. Maybe when I get more experience, I'll up my game and target the bigger species. But for now I'm happy to get a 65-70cm kingy and the usual bonitos and aussie salmon.

Bluefin, thanks for the suggestions. The Wilson live fibre and ultegra looks like a really good set-up, but a little out of my budget for now.

cheers and tight lines!

Guest Guest123456789
On 17/04/2018 at 5:10 PM, JeffCarrera said:

Hi Flatheadluke and Bluefin, thanks for the response.

flatheadluke, I do already have a light set-up, 7ft rod with 2500 sienna on 8lb braid and 10 pound leader. I went to the shop today and got a good deal on the penn prevail. I've yet to get a reel to match it, but thinking of getting a penn conflict or conflict two in medium size maybe 4000-5000 size on 30lb braid.

I agree 50lbs braid might be overkill for the fish I'll encounter 90%of the time fishing the rocks. Maybe when I get more experience, I'll up my game and target the bigger species. But for now I'm happy to get a 65-70cm kingy and the usual bonitos and aussie salmon.

Bluefin, thanks for the suggestions. The Wilson live fibre and ultegra looks like a really good set-up, but a little out of my budget for now.

cheers and tight lines!

Be careful there can be a big difference between a 4000 reel and a 5000 reel. I’d probably go with the 5000 as the gears in particular are better suited for fighting just legal kings, big Bonnie’s, mac tuna etc. my 4000 reel is awesome for 10lbs - if I spooled it up with 20lbs I’d crank it in half I think.

For a general combo that will cover bonnies, salmon, tailor and kings (to some extent) a 9ft rod that is capable of casting up to 65g at least. Matched to a 4000-5000 sized reel with 20lb-30lb braid.

If you want something more targeting towards kings then i'd be looking at something like a daiwa demon blood 962, 50lb braid and a 6000-8000 sized reel, though this would be overkill for everything else.

I find 9ft the perfect length for spinning off the rocks.

• Like 1

If you can find a special on a Samurai Ledge I'd recommend that. Another solid rod is the Majorcraft Crostage 'shorejigging' rods.

As for reels I'd go a Stradic if you could stretch the budget but the new Sedonas are a sick reel. Super smooth. I use it as my heavier reel as I don't fish heavy often. 

On 4/27/2018 at 4:09 PM, macca02 said:

For a general combo that will cover bonnies, salmon, tailor and kings (to some extent) a 9ft rod that is capable of casting up to 65g at least. Matched to a 4000-5000 sized reel with 20lb-30lb braid.

If you want something more targeting towards kings then i'd be looking at something like a daiwa demon blood 962, 50lb braid and a 6000-8000 sized reel, though this would be overkill for everything else.

I find 9ft the perfect length for spinning off the rocks.

Thanks Macca, I'm afraid the demon blood is out of my budget for now, but I did exactly what you suggested. I went for the Penn prevail 9ft 8-12 kilo 20-70gram cast weight, and a Penn Spinfisher V 4500 on 30lb daiwa braid. This is the set-up I use for spinning for bonnies and kingies and I can cast for longer without tiring myself out too much. I also have a ultra cheap set-up 10ft Ugly stik with a jarvis walker 6000 reel which I use for bait fishing (caught a kingie off the rocks yesterday with this one)

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 5:47 PM, Niffa said:

If you can find a special on a Samurai Ledge I'd recommend that. Another solid rod is the Majorcraft Crostage 'shorejigging' rods.

As for reels I'd go a Stradic if you could stretch the budget but the new Sedonas are a sick reel. Super smooth. I use it as my heavier reel as I don't fish heavy often. 

Thanks Niffa. samurai ledge seems like a good rod but out of my budget now, will definitely consider for a future upgrade!

I went with the 4500 Penn spinfisher V, they were on sale at a shop ($125) and I thought it was a very good deal for a sealed reel so I went for it.

On 06/05/2018 at 2:29 PM, JeffCarrera said:

Thanks Macca, I'm afraid the demon blood is out of my budget for now, but I did exactly what you suggested. I went for the Penn prevail 9ft 8-12 kilo 20-70gram cast weight, and a Penn Spinfisher V 4500 on 30lb daiwa braid. This is the set-up I use for spinning for bonnies and kingies and I can cast for longer without tiring myself out too much. I also have a ultra cheap set-up 10ft Ugly stik with a jarvis walker 6000 reel which I use for bait fishing (caught a kingie off the rocks yesterday with this one)

Nice mate!

I've got a 12ft Penn Prevail that i use bait fishing off the beach for casting out big baits,
for the money they are great rods with good components and i cannot fault mine.