Daiwa TD Battler vs Certate 16

ruckus213

I wan't opinions from anyone that has used one or both of these reels particularly the TD Battler.

The Battler series of reels looks like its being dropped from the daiwa light tackle line-up so it's price has dropped from $650-700 to as low as $479.

I was looking for a 3000 sized reel..do you think the Battler is worth it? or do the newer model reels have better technology? The certate 16 has mag sealed bearings and the battler doesnt.

What are peoples thoughts? i kind of just ignored the Daiwa Sol III because its made in china and the Sol 2 was shit quality. Even though its specs are great.

cheers guys

Recently bought a 2500 certate 16.  Last trip I used it for targeting jews and it performed as expected.  Smooth as silk drag and handles jews up to 80cm with ease(thats the biggest ive caught on it so far) when teamed with a loomis nrx 802s jwr.

I cant comment on the battler, but i can compare my 'tate16 to a sol type 1 in 2500 and sol type 1 in 3000.  The 'tate feels better than both of those reels, but they are getting a bit old these days hence the purchase of the 'tate.  I absolutley trash my type 1 sols and they have stood up to any challenge.  Im expecting the tate to cop many years of abuse.

What species are you looking at targeting, or whats the use going to be?

Make sure you go and try the reel on the intended rod prior to purchase.  Nothing worse than buying blind off a website and finding out the reel doesnt fit the reel seat of the rod or just feels plain weird.  95% of the time, any reputable tackle shop will price match anyway and you get face to face service should something go wrong.

Personally id pay full rrp from a tackle shop that i can actually go and check out a few reels im interested in and test fit on rods i own.  Decent tackle shops are a dying breed.  Internet shops popping up all over the place selling for less than brick and mortar shops usually have shite customer service, repsond to emails/messages in exteremely poor time and thats if you can understand the chinglish/aralish they respond to you with.

Recently bought some gear off a well known site - well i actually drove 60+km one way to the brick and mortar shop they have and guess what....i paid more than the website stated.  When queried on the price they said they couldnt offer the same price off the website to me.  I said fine, just refund the money and ill buy elsewhere.  They pretty much told me to get the f out!!!!  Fantastic customer service!!!!

• Sad 1

Thanks for the response miillx.

I actually own a 2500 certate 16' as well.

I've always felt safe when I've hooked fish (I bought it specifically for mulloway as well ) It's an awesome reel.. perfect so far.

I have a local shop that I've gone to for years, so i'm fine on that front..I just don't know if buying the older model (Battlers came out in 2014 or 2015 I think) has any disadvantages. I don't know how important mag sealed bearings are but the certate has them. Anyway..see how it goes..either way i'm sure they both kick ass!

• 2 weeks later...