Port Stephens- teaching the next generation!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

I was supposed to head out with berleyguts today but after an exchange of texts baz couldn’t make it after the storm we had the other day! 

I got up at 6am (usual) and had a look off the balcony. A bit blowy but beautiful seas. Finished my coffee, woke the kids up and said, that’s it we’re going fishing! Was on the water by 8am. The plan for today was to just troll the snapper sticks around and introduce the youngest two to the ocean. Normally I don’t take them outside but today was the day to do it. Not knowing whether they suffer from sea sickness or not, I only troll the islands out the front. But what a session it was!!! The kids  hooked up 16 times, dropped 4 fish, landed 10 bonito two Big Mac tuna and the eldest lost a good longtail boatside when it seen his head and took one last run and snapped him off. He was devastated but with sore arms it was time to call it quits! I did NOT touch a rod and reel all day! Quite happy with my little munchkins! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

D1EAD7BE-CED8-407A-8394-A8A1799B5668.thumb.jpeg.9a9a1e1f9afbccf1864b98f8ccdc66dc.jpeg

• Like 4

A couple of future champions there mate, can't think of too many things that better the moment when your young ones catch fish weather it's their first or just another one of many.

You don't need to touch a rod in such surcumstances.

Frank

• Like 1

Great stuff, Jeff! So jealous! Fellow Raiders: I cancelled  a planned trip with Scratchie as my place got smashed with hailstones on Saturday night and I thought I better spend today checking the roof, cleaning up the yard and fixing flyscreens etc.  just took a drive to Fingal for a look and the water looked amazing! Devastated because work just rang me and asked me to take tomorrow off so I could have cleaned up tomorrow and fished today with Scratchie! In reality, though, my boat is full of debris from the storm, so I’ve still got to clean it out!

Glad you could get out Jeff and put the kids onto fish!

Edited by Berleyguts

3 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Thats fantastic.

I recon enjoy the photos now but in 10 ... 20 yeas time they will be family treasures.

Thanks BF. Plenty more photos where they came from! The kids had a ball. 

3 hours ago, nbdshroom said:

Awesome work Jeff. Looks like a good start already since they didn't get sea sickness.

Cheers Pete! It’s great to know they have my genes! Now as the kids grow, I still have a decky for a few years yet! 

3 hours ago, frankS said:

A couple of future champions there mate, can't think of too many things that better the moment when your young ones catch fish weather it's their first or just another one of many.

You don't need to touch a rod in such surcumstances.

Frank

Agree frank! Today was all about them having fun! They asked to go again tomorrow but it’s serious fishing time tomorrow with another raider! 

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Jeff! So jealous! Fellow Raiders: I cancelled  a planned trip with Scratchie as my place got smashed with hailstones on Saturday night and I thought I better spend today checking the roof, cleaning up the yard and fixing flyscreens etc.  just took a drive to Fingal for a look and the water looked amazing! Devastated because just rang me and asked me to take tomorrow off so I could have cleaned up tomorrow and fished today with Scratchie! In reality, though, my boat is full of debris from the storm, so I’ve still got to clean it out!

Glad you could get out Jeff and put the kids onto fish!

Cheers baz! Hopefully we have the same luck tomorrow! Yeww

Hey Scratchie, your report hit the spot for me. So many memories to look back on. Your kids will have the experience to be top gun anglers in the future and they'll always remember the time that they ALL went out and got into the fish. Of course, the fish will be much bigger and more abundant as their memories cloud with time...but what the heck. You, on the other hand, will simply put it down to being DAD. Bet you that in 20 years time, when the pitter patter of tiny grandkids come along, YOU too will remember the day when they all got out there and had a fantastic time. That's what life's about mate. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Mate sounds like best day ever not havn to touck a rod   kudos to you and younguns  theres plenty to target at moment 

It was a top day rick! The only thing that would of made it better was if they could drive too :) 

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hey Scratchie, your report hit the spot for me. So many memories to look back on. Your kids will have the experience to be top gun anglers in the future and they'll always remember the time that they ALL went out and got into the fish. Of course, the fish will be much bigger and more abundant as their memories cloud with time...but what the heck. You, on the other hand, will simply put it down to being DAD. Bet you that in 20 years time, when the pitter patter of tiny grandkids come along, YOU too will remember the day when they all got out there and had a fantastic time. That's what life's about mate. Cheers, bn

Thanks BN. That was what the day was all about! In reality, that’s what life’s about! You can have all the money in the world but you can’t buy time! 

3 hours ago, Ribs said:

Think u should add the word " team" to your boat bro, pretty good start to the holidays ! 

Thanks Craig! Yes mate, I will be adding that shortly :) 

Well done Scratchie and team - enjoy the time with the kids while you can.  My son was a gun fisho and deckie until he hit 17 and girls arrived on the scene....can't really blame him but hoping he makes a return before I'm past it -hahaha :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...well done to the scratchie tribe.i bet they all got sore arms.

Cheers mate! They were still pretty excited this morning 

36 minutes ago, Maverick1 said:

Well done Scratchie and team - enjoy the time with the kids while you can.  My son was a gun fisho and deckie until he hit 17 and girls arrived on the scene....can't really blame him but hoping he makes a return before I'm past it -hahaha :)

Thanks! Yep exactly! I have 4 kids and my 17yo has gone awol. That’s why I’m training the 2 little ones. My 13 yo is a gun decky but I’m guessing he’s only got 4 years left so time for the younger ones to step up! :) 

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Great work

cant wait til my little ones are old enough to tag along, and more importantly hope they share the passion !!

worryingly my son doesnt like eatinng fish ? 

Thanks Sam. The time together is more important than the fish! But it does make it a bit more exciting ? 

8 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Sounds like a good day out mate, wish my kids would go out but sea sickness has turned them off.

any lure in particular do the damage?

Thanks Pete! Rapala xrap 6inch diver and my favourite cheap gold bomber from Kmart with owners! 

6 hours ago, Jords boi said:

That’s incredible! Wish I was catching fish that big now not to mention at that age 

Cheers! Age doesn’t matter. Just get out there and give a go!