Jewfish

ARC H

Gday raiders

Recently I've been doing research on getting a jewie of the beach

But I would like to hear peoples opinions on rigs and baits for the fish

I am only thinking about a 60-80cm fish for starters anyway :lol:

I've got a 6-10kg starlo stick 11ft and 4000 daiwa Aird with 30 lb braid

There has been some great information in previous threads and would love to see some in here and maybe someone but myself could be helped

Cheers ARC H

You are in a good spot for them. My favourite bait for them off the beach is fresh squid or fresh squid strips. I take self caught frozen squid to use as strips as backup in case i cant catch a squid on the afternoon i'm fishing. If squid are hard for you to come by then fish with metal lures or pilchards on gang hooks to catch a tailor and send out strips from him.

Your outfit is fine. I would fish a rod length of 30-40lb shock leader and then a running sinker rig with either a ball sinker or a star sinker on an ezy-rig style sinker clip. I tie a little piece of rubber band half a metre above the sinker or sinker clip to stop it sliding too far up the line and tangling the leader knot, it is better if it doesn't go through the guides when casting. I would fish a 40-60lb trace from 40-40cm long with two snelled 6/0-8/0 octopus or octopus circle hooks to suit the size of the bait. Try to find a gutter that looks at least waist deep close to the beach that has deep water access like where the surfers paddle out between the sand banks. Try to fish a high tide around dark or up to a few hours after dark. You will catch fish on all moons and all tides so fish whenever you can but if you have a choice these times might be favourable. Tailor are easiest to catch at dawn and dusk. So ideally if you get to the beach an hour or so before dark to try to catch the tailor and have high tide an hour or so after dark then that would be convenient. Beach worms are also good bait but get alot of pickers, whereas the squid strips will survive the pickers better. I find i get less sharks on squid than fish baits.

• Like 2

thanks a lot captain spanner!

plenty of useful info in there for me

?

dumb question but is a squid strip just cut from the hood?

cheers

Edited by ARC H
question

I would suggest pulling the head and guts out and keeping as one or two baits, skinning the hood and keep the wings in tact for a bait each, cut the hood open down one side so it opens like a big triangle and cut it into strips, normally from the tip down so you end up with long triangle baits. I put the top hook in the tip of the strip, make sure there is a bit of slack line between the two hooks so the strip stays straight. This will make sense when you do it if it doesn't quite make sense now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Spanner said:

I would suggest pulling the head and guts out and keeping as one or two baits, skinning the hood and keep the wings in tact for a bait each, cut the hood open down one side so it opens like a big triangle and cut it into strips, normally from the tip down so you end up with long triangle baits. I put the top hook in the tip of the strip, make sure there is a bit of slack line between the two hooks so the strip stays straight. This will make sense when you do it if it doesn't quite make sense now.

it makes sense thanks

Some pretty good info there ^^^^

I run mono off the beach, I just find it easier for long casts, and having that stretch helps absorb a lot of tension in the line too. It's more comfortable to fish with I reckon.

Bait and presentation is important for sure, but the key is picking the right gutter to fish. If conditions are right and you know you're in the best gutter along that beach then it's only a matter of time till some jew turn up. Sometimes it's more a matter of patience than skill lol 

• Thanks 1