Ripper day

codymanly

Hey guys,

havent much luck fishing my usually spots on the northern beaches, in fact I’d say I’ve none at all. Nevertheless I had the day off so I thought I’d get cracking and see if today might be the day, partially because fishingreminder.com told me today was supposed to be good, but mainly becaus I’m sick of my girlfriend laughing that I never bring anything home for a feed.

anyway, within about five minutes of burlying up I think I see a flash of something green, so I chuck an unweighted pillie down on my 2-3 kilo bream rod and watch it slowly sink about a foot below the surface... and bang! I was on to a nice Watson’s leaping bonito!! It was a super fun fight on such light gear! He gave three or four epic runs each time I got him close to the jetty, before I finally got him up. 

And then it was on. For about 20 minutes this huge school of Bonnie’s just went nuts for every pillie I chucked it. I pulled up 8, and kept 6 for dinner. They ranged between 40 and 50 centimetres, and all of them gave ridiculously good accounts of themselves.

some kings eventually turned up and I tried unweighted Bonnie fillets and flicking metals at them, but apparently learned from the bonitos mistakes and they kept clear. 

just a really fun day ending my two year bonito drought it style!

thanks for reading,

cody

97DEB5AE-E3D3-45C6-8D7F-A3B72770E6F6.jpeg

4AD54BCB-3B49-4345-A86C-562B087AD871.jpeg

6D3BA0D4-9190-4BF6-B870-DA8C6001FF72.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice work Cody, bet that was so much fun.

A lot of fisho's stick their noses in the air at the thought of eating Bonnies but if treated right by killing & bleeding them immediately & putting them on ice they are great eating.

Really nice looking fish there.

Enjoy. 

12 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice work Cody, bet that was so much fun.

A lot of fisho's stick their noses in the air at the thought of eating Bonnies but if treated right by killing & bleeding them immediately & putting them on ice they are great eating.

Really nice looking fish there.

Enjoy. 

Agreed,

After bleeding and chilling, the most important bit is to keep as cold as possible so it stays firm, fillet, skin and cut all of the bloodline out as soon as possible so you end up with 4 nice clean white strips of flesh