Do you use Swivels with lures ???

Cage

After a long break  from fishing I'm about to get back into it and I'd like to try some lures and soft plastics.

Most of the rigs I've found don't mention using a swivel which I find surprising. 

Any info appreciated.

Thanks 

Cage  :beersmile:

I put a swivel on the split ring on the front of my chromies and i make sure there is a swivel somewhere in the system, even a snap swivel, if trolling skirts or christmas trees but not for plastics, stick baits or hardbodies. If trolling a hardbody that i know misbehaves on occasion i might have a swivel 1-2m above the lure so the line doesn't twist as much if the lure keeps blowing out. Just tie the leader to the braid with a leader knot and then the leader straight to the jig head.

• Thanks 1

Guest Guest123456789

+1 swivel attached to split ring attached to lure. I saw Paul Worsteling from ifish with a metal jig lure and he used split rings and swivels to attach an assist hook. I’ve been meaning to try it.

depends on the lures you intend to fish 90% of the lures I fish a swivel or snap would destroy the action even with bigger lures for cod spinning etc.... I use a loop knot I find swivels and snaps are just another thing than can fail

• Thanks 1

I tend to change lures a bit, so I often use quality snap swivels, rather than retrying loop knots. I never tie directly to a split ring and will use a swivel or a solid ring.

If a snap swivel is likely to affect lure action too much, have a look at the Norman snaps. They are small and light and easy to attach.

• Thanks 1

My personal preferences are dependent on the balance between time and effectiveness. Most lures will work much better using a loop knot. Less chance of them tangling and smoother, more realistic action. That goes for cast or trolled lures in my opinion. Spinnerbaits ... ALWAYS tie the leader directly to them. Same for soft plastics. That covers effectiveness. However, if you want to save time then, by all means, use swivels. Understand though that they will tangle up more often and (sometimes) not work as well. I never attach the line or swivel to a split ring, always the lure directly. 

That's my opinion. Cheers, bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Aardvarking said:

What do you mean by using a swivel? Do you mean tying your leader to a swivel which does straight to the lure, or do you mean having a swivel further up the line?

I've bought an assortment to try and some have a swivel on a ring attached to the lure and I guess those lures are designed to track without spinning.

But with something like a squidgy where you use a jig head, I can imagine that set-up spinning like a top and I was thinking that attaching the hook to a swivelled leader with a lefty's loop would be a good idea.

I have no idea about how they work so appreciate all the helpful advice.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Cage said:

I've bought an assortment to try and some have a swivel on a ring attached to the lure and I guess those lures are designed to track without spinning.

But with something like a squidgy where you use a jig head, I can imagine that set-up spinning like a top and I was thinking that attaching the hook to a swivelled leader with a lefty's loop would be a good idea.

Thanks

Cage it's not necessary to use a swivel with soft plastics, Just tie your leader directly to the jighead and put the soft plastic on. Always test swim it to ensure it swims well. Whether to use a swivel up the line (or not) can depend on where you're fishing too. Remember that the more terminal tackle applied, the more chance of getting snagged up. bn

Guest Guest123456789
13 hours ago, Cage said:

Thanks

Just a uni knot. Loop knots IMO don’t do much (if anything) to improve the movement, are weaker and more complicated to tie.

swivels are good for metal spinning lures

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

21 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Just a uni knot. Loop knots IMO don’t do much (if anything) to improve the movement, are weaker and more complicated to tie.

swivels are good for metal spinning lures

I sometimes tie a loop knot at home but use a uni knot if tying at sea. Ball bearing snap swivels when trolling minnows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Cage,

Think about what you are trying ACTUALLY trying to achieve with the swivels or knots and then fish accordingly.

I buy duolock clips and matching rated swivels and combine them. I fish hardbodies and soft plastics and the following is my logic with both my bream gear (4lb) and snapper gear (15lb).

On bream gear at times I use slices (5/10gm Halco twisty) and squid jigs. In this case I will use a swivel arrangement at the working end of the leader to reduce twist in the line caused by the Twistys and to allow me to quickly swap out squid jigs when working an area. If using plastics I find the arrangement a little too clunky so just tie straight to the jig head.

On the snapper rod I will again use the swivel when fishing hard bodies, slices and squid jigs as it allows me to change out lures quickly without losing leader. As soon as I go plastics I don't bother with the clips and just tie straight to the lure again as it is clunky and secondly it is another item which can go wrong.

My thinking on loop knots changed recently. I use them on the fly rod and a few other lures but in general I'm starting to think they are a complication which doesn't often add an advantage. When the tow point of the lure starts to put heavy pressure on the loop knot you end up with a kink or bend at that point at which time I think the loop knot will no longer act as a loop knot. I will continue to use it on some of the really light lures which won't put enough pressure on the loop to affect the line but for the other lures I will just stick with my go to uni knot. My feeling with the loop knot on the heavier lures is that it has very little impact on the action of the lure.

BTW I will not use a swivel or clip arrangement between mainline and leader. I will only use them directly to the lure. For some of the lures I use a fast retrieve is required and a swivel passing through the runners is a great way to damage them if you don't spot the swivel in time. The lure complete with swivel is easier to spot.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Guest123456789

Newsflash: you can easily attach and detach a swivel to a split ring

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

7 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Newsflash: you can easily attach and detach a swivel to a split ring

Well, maybe if you have split ring pliers handy... my nails just won’t cut it! ?

Edited by Berleyguts
It’s 2:30am and I just did a 6 hour round trip to Sydney!

I'm not putting a swivel near any lure that doesn't need it, if it doesn't cause line twist, then why use a swivel?  If I'm trolling a plastic occy for kings or tailor then I'll use a swivel. Soft plastics generally track straight, so no swivel and no snap, and if I can see to tie one, a loop knot gives them the perfect action. Snaps are perfect for hard bodies when you are trying to find the one that the fish are going to go near and you are changing them often, good quality ones don't fail, snap swivels on straight tracking hard bodies offer nothing.

Matt

Guest Guest123456789
4 hours ago, macman said:

I'm not putting a swivel near any lure that doesn't need it, if it doesn't cause line twist, then why use a swivel?  If I'm trolling a plastic occy for kings or tailor then I'll use a swivel. Soft plastics generally track straight, so no swivel and no snap, and if I can see to tie one, a loop knot gives them the perfect action. Snaps are perfect for hard bodies when you are trying to find the one that the fish are going to go near and you are changing them often, good quality ones don't fail, snap swivels on straight tracking hard bodies offer nothing.

Matt

Hi Matt,

My own personal preference but I have tested metals with and without a swivel in a swimming pool and was surprised how much better the swivel metal lure looked in terms of imitating a fleeing baitfish. Seemed to get that nice wobble. I also prefer to snaps as  the entire lure looks shorter. Lots of variables maybe different metals would look better with a snap swivel. 

I agree a uni knot straight to a jig head is the go - no swivels required.

I put a swivel on metal slices simply because otherwise there isn't somewhere to tie line to, it don't like to tie directly to a split ring, it doesn't really work. But where the metals have a solid loop on the front, I usually don't bother with the swivel because then you have to add a split as well. Like the little gillies metals which kill the bonito and salmon, I just tie them direct. 

Matt

Guest Guest123456789

That is true those little 10 gram lures better tie direct. The halco twistys 20 gram plus I’ve found the swivel improves them out of sight