Different type of Hooks

Spool

Just recently went to buy some hooks today I have bought a couple but don’t know much about them. 

Gamakatsu Live Bait: What is the purpose and how is different to the Octopus hook? Is a hook set required with these?

Gamakatsu O’Shaughnessy: What is the purpose of this hook? Is it just another long shank?

Gamakatsu Octopus Hook: I wanted to get this hook but it only came with a inclined eye which I read somewhere this hook is only for snelling which is not what I want. I usually tie a knot above the eye. Do they sell straight eye ones because I could not see them anywhere.

As far as I am aware Gamakatsu Live Bait hooks are just a more robust live bait hook  designed for tougher fish species that can bend or break a hook.

Good for Kings and Tuna.

As far as the other hook types you have mentioned I think their Octopus hooks come in all kinds of configuration.

Hooks are a very interesting subject. I have read in a commercial fishing study on Snapper that circle hooks out fished all other types of hooks tested in long line fishing.

There are many factors in play here of course, long lining effectively means the fish hook themselves . This is bait fishing not live baiting and certainly its a more passive fishing technique than many of us use.

My personal experience is that J hooks out fish circle hooks but I don't use them with set baits because of the gut hook problems for catch and release.

I think there are some ex-commercial fishermen in the Fishraider community so they may be able to comment on what commercial fisherman use.

Thanks for posting the question Spool.

Cheers

Jim

What are you targeting mate, and what baits would you be using. 

1 hour ago, fragmeister said:

As far as I am aware Gamakatsu Live Bait hooks are just a more robust live bait hook  designed for tougher fish species that can bend or break a hook.

Good for Kings and Tuna.

As far as the other hook types you have mentioned I think their Octopus hooks come in all kinds of configuration.

Hooks are a very interesting subject. I have read in a commercial fishing study on Snapper that circle hooks out fished all other types of hooks tested in long line fishing.

There are many factors in play here of course, long lining effectively means the fish hook themselves . This is bait fishing not live baiting and certainly its a more passive fishing technique than many of us use.

My personal experience is that J hooks out fish circle hooks but I don't use them with set baits because of the gut hook problems for catch and release.

I think there are some ex-commercial fishermen in the Fishraider community so they may be able to comment on what commercial fisherman use.

Cheers

Jim

+1 What fragmeister said 

2 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Good for Kings and Tuna.

Cheers

Jim

Mostly Kings and Jews. Occassion Trevs, Snapper and Flattys.

Do they sell straight eye Gamakatsu Octopus Hook?

Hi Spool. As far as I know, the OCTOPUS hook has an eye that bends away from the shank. O'SHAUGHNESSY hooks have a straight shaft/eye. What are you fishing for? It's nonsense that Octopus hooks are only used for snelling. They are ideal for that use but are also perfect for tying the uni knot too. So come back with what you intend to target and people will give you the right advice on the best hook to use. Good luck bn

A lot of these are a re Named , Modified Suicide hook..   I have been using this hook for 60 years for bait fishing, NOT snelled. They are designed NOT to snell. The eye is in line with the point when pulled. Super effective. Hence the name !! Not good For catch and release.  These days I use Black Magic KL circle hooks, especially with grandkids. Super effective, but don't strike!! let the fish swim away and the hook will lock into it's jaw!! Some say these are better snelled, but I don't bother !! Howard.

Edited by bluefin

The angle of the eye to the shank is deliberate. The eye of the hook and the point of the hook are parallel  for a reason.!

A straight eye would need a different point design.  So a different hook Design.

Edited by bluefin

As Bluefin said 'Octopus'(originally a style I think branded by Edgar Sealy + Co) are what is known as Suicide Hooks (I also always refer to them as suicide's Bluefin!) and came in various different models made by Mustad Hooks. They don't come in other 'shapes' - that would make them something else! Working in a big tackle shop in Sydney in the late 70's they were by far our most popular bought hook and used for anything from Luderick to Yellowfin Tuna. From memory, some various types of Mustad suicide were as follows: 9263 single strength 'standard', 9262D same with 2 baitholder slices on shank, 92554 double strength(the biggest seller and we carried the full range in increments of 1 from tiny size 12 right up to 12/0) 9254 same as previous but with straight point instead of curbed, 92558 double strength with 2 baitholder slices on shank,  92553 S- stainless. There were also many other variations but all the same shape. I still have some of all these in my collection and use them when I fish. Many are still available, some in different gauges eg 'Penetrator" and coatings eg "Big Red". I agree that they are extremely effective for most fish and if I could only choose one hook pattern this would certainly be it

• Like 1

I fish for jewies a lot and wouldn't use anything but the Gamakatsu Octopus Hook in size 6/0 to 10/0 depending on size of bait.  These can be Uni knotted on end of line but I always use double sliding hook rigs for jew so I can adjust to size of bait..

Hooks with a kirb or twist have a slightly better hook-up rate than straight hooks however can cause line twist in strong currents.  Straight unkirbed hooks are used in strong currents and also when trolling baits or swimming livies and squid such as when downrigging or bridling baits.  My preferred hook when drifting livies for flathead is the Kale or widemouth hooks which aren't kerbed.
Ron