Successful day on Cowan creek + feeding frenzy

Jords boi

Launched the tinnie at half 6 yesterday morning at apple tree bay and headed up the creek. Managed 4 big yakka (35cm-40cm) in Waratah bay, although wanted some smaller ones for live-baiting but not luck haha. Then headed around to what I think was Looking Glass bay near Cottage Point and not 5 minutes after anchoring down, some garfish started jumping around and soon more and more were getting chased around the bay by some bigger fish. All of a sudden they were right around the boat and we saw 3 or 4 massive fish that looked like kingfish but they looked and swam more like tuna and had the incredible girth of tuna. I’ve been told kingfish don’t grow too big there and big ones aren’t found in Cowan creek but these were huge (Close to a metre I’d say). Any idea if these were just rogue large kingies or something else? Managed to get a couple big bream and blue swimmer crabs for lunch too, so a good day all in all! 

Edited by Jords boi

Yakka's at 35-40cm are huge, sure they weren't Tailor ? and Kings grow to well over 1 metre and do frequent these waters. Sounds like you had quiet an adventurous day in what is normally quiet waters. Right place at the right time , doesn't happen all that often and I hope you made the best of it while it lasted.

Thanks for the good read and keep at it.

Frank

4 minutes ago, frankS said:

Yakka's at 35-40cm are huge, sure they weren't Tailor ? and Kings grow to well over 1 metre and do frequent these waters. Sounds like you had quiet an adventurous day in what is normally quiet waters. Right place at the right time , doesn't happen all that often and I hope you made the best of it while it lasted.

Thanks for the good read and keep at it.

Frank

Yeh that’s why I was surprised! Had the exact same markings as a yakka yellow tail of the same style. Unsure what else it could’ve been for that size, defs not a tailor as we caught some tailor at that same spot but they were small throwbacks. 

Any advice on catching those big kingies and what set ups to use? I felt annoyed and frustrated that I missed an opportunity to catch one but I wasn’t prepared or set up. 

Thanks!

A few big cowanyoung around a t the moment but a bit more common out at sea-having said that Cowan is a weird place and all sorts of things turn up there , tuna could be mack tuna at that size, certainly seen them up Cowan before

Nice job, what a run in that would’ve been with those kings. I believe you can get away with anything as light as 9-12kg for inland bays rivers but outside you want to go heavier. Livies like squid and yakkas go great. 

Im heading to berowra creek at the moment. Last time I was in Apple tree bay I watched a green sea turtle just cruise around the creek end for about half an hour was a cool experience. 

9 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

A few big cowanyoung around a t the moment but a bit more common out at sea-having said that Cowan is a weird place and all sorts of things turn up there , tuna could be mack tuna at that size, certainly seen them up Cowan before

Yeh I’m thinking they could’ve been Mack tuna with that girth and the markings and colour. It was a pretty incredible thing to witness. One of them chased a garfish so hard the garfish hit the hull of our boat and then became the fish’s breakfast 

Cowan Creek used to be a consistent spot for longtail tuna. That was a long time ago - maybe pre-1930s. They are reported periodically nowadays.

I’ve seen big longtails in Towlers Bay and around Scotland Island so they will travel quite a long way up the estuaries. I saw these around April or May, so towards the end of the warm water.

Great post Jords Boi, some big sedentary kings move into estuaries in autumn and winter and become very choosy about bait/food. Live  or fresh (not frozen) squid are certainly the go, but live gars are excellent in autumn and not that hard to catch - small Owner “mosquito” hooks (no 12-14) just cover the hook tip (fresh yellowtail, squid or bread (gluten mix is good).