ID Fish. "Sand Mullet and Silver Trevally"

Chasin'tale

Question

IMG_20180424_082501.thumb.jpg.9adb9aba0c8d41d8a33c141448c39488.jpgCaught these mullet at The Entrance. Thinking bottom is a sand mullet but not sure if top one is same speciesIMG_20180423_101105.thumb.jpg.dbc3eab75c1bd8fb997bf7ef5a40d22b.jpg

Caught this trevally at The Entrance also, don't think it's a juvenile silver trevally though. Any feedback would be helpful, thanking you guys in advance

10 answers to this question

Right hand fish in last photo is a sand mullet. The orange spot in front of the pectoral is diagnostic, as is the round black spot at the top of the pectoral fin base. In the sea mullet, the pectoral spot is blue and more elongate.

the one on the left is harder to see - can’t be sure.

Edited by Volitan
  • Like 1

The Mullet looks a tad old (Eyes are dull and body dried out) so hard to ID, but I would say a Sea Mullet. "Mugil cephalic Linnaeus"

And the Trevally I would call a Long Nose Trevally. "Carangoides chrysophrys"

Always happy to be wrong though. :)

BF

Edited by Blackfish

Thanks BF always happy to learn a few things from the more experienced fishermen. Never knew that about the silver trevally. When I looked at pics online of the blue trevally the markings looked similar but I noticed the blues tail is more deeply forked then the 3 silvers I pulled in at The Entrance. All 3 of them had the stripes but they weren't big fish. Just a side note all 5 of my kids caught at least 1 fish that day. Great seeing my kids learning the species of fish they catch and they enjoy watching them swim away when they release them.

• Like 1