I've just rigged a 4-entry crab pot --  with the hard plastic closing entry pieces (this plastic is the same as the crab-bait holder plastic) Once the pvc pipe struts are in place the crab entry holes are way too big on the EXIT side and even a crab dumber than me could swim out.  What am I doing wrong? 

5ade8ebcadb44_Crabpot.jpg.c5df268bc8a495ad79698090ae352c14.jpg

Edited by WhiteBait

I think because the crabs normally walk on the bottom and the entry holes are elevated above the bottom, when the climb in the hole and fall down onto the bottom they stay on the bottom and don't jump/swim up in the water to climb out of the hole. Plus the other thing to think about is if the crab is inside the trap and can now reach the bait, why would he want to get out of the trap while it is sitting on the bottom? I think it is likely that the PVC tubes are the correctl length to hold everything tight and that the entrance holes are big enough so that the crab doesn't feel scared to walk in.

• Like 1

Looks ok to me to give a try. If you think they are getting in and getting out you could attach the float rope to the other side so the entry holes are higher off the floor of the trap but then they will be higher off the floor of the river too for the crabs to walk in to start with. Either would probably be ok