Bait tube

Volitan

Just back from a short holiday in NZ. No time for fishing unfortunately but I did get to visit a few tackle shops. They have quite a bit of stuff over there that I haven’t seen here - maybe it is for sale here but I haven’t seen it.

I bought a few things to try out. First of these to try was bait tube. Basically, it’s a stretchy fabric tube which you stretch over mushy baits like pilchards. Tie it off at top, and maybe at bottom, with some bait elastic. Simple idea, just never seen it in use here.

where I fish land based it takes a very long cast to clear the weed beds, and pickers abound. It’s disheartening to finally get the bait out there and then feel some little taps and you know your pilchards probably gone, so I thought bait tube might keep the bait on long enough to get a decent result.

so I tried a pilchard wrapped up in bait tube. My main concern was that the fish would shun it because it’s so glaring and unnatural. I was surprised to get bites even before I had the chance to get the rod into the spike. A good sized bream hooked up a few moments later - so that fish at least wasn’t worried about biting into something so unnatural. I thought I was onto something good, but unfortunately it was a slow morning and the bites slowed right down on both the sleeved and unsleeved baits from then on.

The main negative of the stuff was that when you retrieve a bait that’s been chewed over a bit you have a mess of hook, bait sleeve and bait elastic to sort out. Maybe I’m using it wrong, but it seemed to pretty much negate any benefit.

Its not something I’d use in the majority of fishing situations.

Maybe at night, in murky water, and maybe when I want to use several pilchards at once it might be worthwhile.

Anybody else used it? Prepared to share your experiences?

photo of product below.

A21D626E-BDC9-49FC-AFBC-E85AA22D65F1.jpeg

Edited by Volitan

Hi Volitan. I purchased a while ago rather similar tubes off ebay for the similar purpose. They were made of similar to onion bag material however they are stretching enough to fit a pilchard and presentation would be better.Never tried them in the water as I prefer lure fishing now. Can post a photo if I still find them.

Yep, stick a photo up if you have one.

the stuff I bought is synthetic. I thought it would be a carefully chosen natural fibre that would go a bit transparent in water but not so - just seems too bright and unnatural to me.

I bought some at a shop yesterday. It actually looks better then the stuff I bought in NZ - lighter and less obtrusive.

so it’s easily available here - anyone else use it. If so, how did you go about using it and did you get a result?

cheers

10 hours ago, savit said:

May take a while to find. 

Volitan, I sent you a PM with ebay link as not 100% sure if these links are allowed on forum.

Got it. Thanks.  

I guessed this stuff was originally intended for something else, would never have thought of looking there though.

cheers

3 hours ago, Volitan said:

Got it. Thanks.  

I guessed this stuff was originally intended for something else, would never have thought of looking there though.

cheers

PVC tubes, baloons and inflatable kids pools - just to name a few - were not designed for fishing either :)