John Dory Fishing

wazatherfisherman

3 hours ago, noelm said:

My most consistent catches are when I target Flathead around this time of the year, it's common to pull up a Flathead with a Dory hanging on, I fish in about 30m of water this time of the year, so maybe they hang around before heading into harbours and places like that.

While your doing a flathead drift for blue spots over sand?

• 1 year later...

@wazatherfisherman It finally happened today mate! Thanks for all the tips - definitely helped me get onto my first John Dory! 👍 

Caught a beautiful 56cm fish using a rig inspired by your teachings!

3 way swivel and heavy 8oz snapper sinker, 1.4m sinker line, and a short 40cm line to the hook to prevent the livie moving around too much. The longer sinker line keeping the livebait in the strike zone off the bottom.

IMG_2679.thumb.jpeg.0876e381b0227ba4a8cd6e1ef48ce6be.jpeg
IMG_2676.thumb.jpeg.665722f5c1e6df2d7a99f065ca51dc70.jpeg

IMG_2683.thumb.jpeg.315b9bf611bd5cc9afbdc6a87dd364cb.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

The longer sinker line keeping the livebait in the strike zone off the bottom.

Dory will swim at different depths, wherever the food is swimming about. Quite often close to the bottom, though at times I have observed them swimming through schools of whitebait at mid depth in the bays of the Hacking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Sensational Chris! Bet you enjoy eating it! Did it 'sing' to you while in the bag? They are special and way rarer than in times past

Yeah Wazza, it sang me the song!

Can’t wait for dinner!
Eaten them before, but never one I’ve caught myself.

16 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Dory will swim at different depths, wherever the food is swimming about. Quite often close to the bottom, though at times I have observed them swimming through schools of whitebait at mid depth in the bays of the Hacking.

Wish I could find them in the hacking - I tried a few times around Gunnamatta last year with no luck. They are an elusive ghost fish!
I also remember reading one of those fishing spot guides that said that they had been caught around shark island.

4 hours ago, Larkin said:

Wish I could find them in the hacking - I tried a few times around Gunnamatta last year with no luck. They are an elusive ghost fish!
I also remember reading one of those fishing spot guides that said that they had been caught around shark island.

I have not fished for them for many years in the Hacking. They were a regular catch 30 or so years ago.

Have caught a couple around shark island, a long time ago.