Hooks for poddy mullet

Mutch22

Hey guys we were using poddys today trying for Jewies I just had a long shank through its bottom lip I had one hit but dropped it, looked like a Jew mouthed it by the look of the mullet, I normally use circles on yakkas and squid but they are only small poddys we had today a circles I would like to hear your thoughts would be much appreciated!

cheers mitch 

I use poddies a lot as I love chasing (and releasing) big flathead with my best two both 97cm and don't use anything but big mouth or Kale style hooks hooked through mouth and out before the eyes.  These pull out like a circle and usually lip hook the fish.
I also chase jewies and wouldn't use those hooks but use Gamagatsu 

Computor glych Ill try again

I use poddies a lot as I love chasing (and releasing) big flathead with my best two both 97cm and don't use anything but big mouth or Kale style hooks hooked through poddies mouth and out in front of the eyes.  When fished softly without striking these pull out like a circle and usually lip hook the fish.

I often chase jewies and wouldn't use those hooks or circles as I believe they are more likely to pull out without hooking up due to their bucket mouths.  However I will use a light circle when fishing 1 or 2kg line when jew fishing in ANSA comps.  I also wouldn't use long shank hooks with live bait as I believe they impede jewies from turning the livies around to swallow head first.

I use Gamagatsu octopus hooks size 6/0 to 10/0 for jew depending on size of bait and prefer a sliding 2 hook rig where possible. There are plenty of sites on-line that demonstrates how to tie a sliding 2 hook rig. I believe the Gamas are the most popular hook among dedicated jewie fishers.
Ron

• Like 1

Hey man Ive been using mustad penetrator hooks for livebaiting little poddys, they're light gauge but still fairly strong. 3/0 is a good universal size, Pin em under the chin and out through the top of the nose