Ultra Light Bream Reel

Niffa

Hey guys,

I am looking into getting a new reel on my new 1-3lb Ultralight Bream rod. I was thinking Luvias 1003 or the new Stradic FB (please don't make this another S vs D thread) but am unsure. My budget is around $300 (+/- $50). I am open to overseas option and would prefer the reel to be suitable light (approx. 170g). Hope this narrows it down. 

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

I am an S man. Luvias may be slightly out of your budget. Maybe a fream or caldia? The new Stradic fb is also a nice reel

go out to a store and have a feel of them. Maybe even see if you can bring in the rod you plan to pair it with to see how they feel on it?

also dont forget to spare some budget on line!

Thanks for the replies. I can get a luvias from jp for around 300. I have the Caldia Z, freams and stradic FK. They make the rod super butt heavy. The Stradic Ci4+ may be a shout for $219 though.

I have stradic fa, fb, fk and Daiwa Aegis on my 1 to 3  and 2 to 4 rods, the ci4+1000 fb is the lightest but the 2006 Aegis feels so good. But the tournament drag is a pain, so many turns to get some decent drag.  And a max of only 2 kg.  Stradic FK 195 grams, if it is too heavy then the fb at 160 gram is your best choice.  Luvias 2004 is 175 grams ?  Howard.

I have a Stradic FJ 1000 I bought used for 60 bucks. It is by far the best reel I have ever used, and was so good I bought a Stradic 2500 for my jewfish spinning setup. Imo they are by far the best reel in their price bracket, and for light weight breaming you really don't need anything more expensive.

Edited by Aardvarking

Thanks for all the replies again, the only reason I requested recommendations on a lightweight reel is because it is going on an ultralight (1-3lb) rod with torzite guides and a skeleton seat. It is super unbalanced if the reel is any heavier than 180g.

8 hours ago, xerotao said:

Seems like you are going all out. Buy the best and lightest you can afford!

I actually got it at a really good price. It is a Megabass Shoreluck SLL-68ULS Limited, beautiful rod. Well above its rating though. Handled a solid ep in structure as its first fish. 

I ended up with a 13 certate 2004... spent a little bit extra, though it should last for a long while. I balanced better than a stradic fk 1000 and luvias 2004 which seemed odd considering it weighs 225g. Awesome little reel.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2018 at 7:31 AM, Niffa said:

Thanks for the replies. I can get a luvias from jp for around 300. I have the Caldia Z, freams and stradic FK. They make the rod super butt heavy. The Stradic Ci4+ may be a shout for $219 though.

Im a S man but purchased a Luvias a few weeks ago. Main reason for me to purchase the Luvias  was its made in Japan the Stradic is not sadly.Very happy with the reel.

On 5/2/2018 at 5:41 PM, Niffa said:

I ended up with a 13 certate 2004... spent a little bit extra, though it should last for a long while. I balanced better than a stradic fk 1000 and luvias 2004 which seemed odd considering it weighs 225g. Awesome little reel.

Good choice. I’m a metal bodied reel fan, even if they weigh slightly more.