Caught myself a thumb

Peter Nelson

Tried for some snapper this morning but found the going hard with the strong westerly blowing.

Plan b was working and started getting amongst some bonnies when I decided to hook my thumb, with the net twisted between the hook and thumb.

Question what is the best way to remove a bard hook by yourself?

I tried pushing it through but it was angled towards the knuckle so wasn't going that way.

I ended up working it out with pliers with a lot of blood and cursing.

Hope it doesn't get infected as its looking pretty red and swollen now.

Sorry for the out of focus photo had my hand full.

IMAG2237_1.jpg

• Sad 1

Ouch!!! Did that happen before I saw you at the ramp, Pete? There’s supposed to be a method where you use a length of strong mono and a bait needle (I think). You poke the needle in beside the hook, work the nylon around it and yank it out. I think I’d just cut the hook off the lure, leave it in and go straight to a doctor! ?

Must have been a day for dramas. I was catching livies with Scratchie at Mrs Murphy’s and put  my rod in a rod holder with jigs out while I went to give the berley pot a stir. Next thing I knew (and it all seemed to happen in slow motion), something hit the jigs and the rod and reel and some expensive braid went overboard. I loved that rod!

How windy was it out there this morning?! - made it very difficult to fish! Glad you got a few bonnies at least for your trouble. We got no snapper but got 5 bonnies. Scratchie released a rat king. We went looking for longtail in the Bay but there was no activity. Back to the ramp at 10:30 when you saw me.

Yeah mate happened just before I came in.

I was contemplating cutting it off but wanted to keep fishing, ha ha.

Made up some fish cakes and we're a big hit with the missus and kids so thanks for the idea.

Shame about the rod, I lost a good one in my kayak once,didn't even know it went as the paddle clipped it and pulled out of the rod holder sending it to the bottom?

Might try again Thursday, hopefully less wind.

• Like 1

Push the hook point out through the skin (make a new exit for the point) then cut the hook with sidecutters, push it all through the new exit. Beats pulling the barb out backwards. If its clean, superglue it, if not, dress it.

5 minutes ago, Short said:

Push the hook point out through the skin (make a new exit for the point) then cut the hook with sidecutters, push it all through the new exit. Beats pulling the barb out backwards. If its clean, superglue it, if not, dress it.

I gave it a go that way but there was a lot of resistance, don't know if it was scrapping on the knuckle and I chickened out, needed some liquid courage, ha ha

30 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Made up some fish cakes and we're a big hit with the missus and kids so thanks for the idea.

I had some bonito as sashimi at the cleaning tables. The looky loo tourists were, “horrified” is too strong a word. Puzzled, perhaps?

Fresh bonito is great as sashimi or grilled on the BBQ. I’ll be having some sashimi for lunch at work tomorrow. Going to try some in the smoker. The frozen fillets go into Thai fish cakes. They go a bit mushy when frozen but I put them in a food  processor anyway!

Edited by Berleyguts

3 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I had some bonito as sashimi at the cleaning tables. The looky loo tourists were, “horrified” is too strong a word. Puzzled, perhaps?

Fresh bonito is great as sashimi or grilled on the BBQ. I’ll be having some sashimi for lunch at work tomorrow. Going to try some in the smoker. The frozen fillets go into Thai fish cakes. They go a bit mushy when frozen but I put them in a good processor anyway!

I'm making up a brine first thing tomorrow and going to smoke a couple up.

I was hoping to get a couple of slimmies as well to try but missed out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

I was hoping to get a couple of slimmies as well to try but missed out.

Well, if you catch one at Mrs Murphy’s with a brown Shimano rod and a Shimano reel attached to it, let me know! ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Well, if you catch one at Mrs Murphy’s with a brown Shimano rod and a Shimano reel attached to it, let me know! ?

Last time I tried for bait there I kept catching small snapper on the jigs, 1 went just undersize, maybe you hooked a decent one

14 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hard to remove hook by yourself..ive taken a few out of others  with loop an pressure technique.....sometimes if wrong angle you cant poke thru...best not to get tagged in first place..rick

Yeah I try to avoid it but the bonito got some pay pack, never had one go that far in before

1 hour ago, Peter Nelson said:

Last time I tried for bait there I kept catching small snapper on the jigs, 1 went just undersize, maybe you hooked a decent one

That’s what I said to Scratchie and I’m claiming it! ? They were mega sized jigs and a did catch 2 undersized pinkies earlier.

I clipped the jig onto my ultralight flick stick which has a short butt instead of the usual rod I use for bait jigs with the longer butt. Guess it doesn’t sit in the holder as well. Scratchie called out, “Your rod!” and I casually turned around and it wasn’t in the holder but about a foot under water heading for the crack. I thought about diving in but I was rugged up and wearing an auto inflateable PFD so thought, “Nah!”. I was too slow to get to the gaff, dammit! That’s fishing, I guess!

5 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

That’s what I said to Scratchie and I’m claiming it! ? They were mega sized jigs and a did catch 2 undersized pinkies earlier.

I clipped the jig onto my ultralight flick stick which has a short butt instead of the usual rod I use for bait jigs with the longer butt. Guess it doesn’t sit in the holder as well. Scratchie called out, “Your rod!” and I casually turned around and it wasn’t in the holder but about a foot under water heading for the crack. I thought about diving in but I was rugged up and wearing an auto inflateable PFD so thought, “Nah!”. I was too slow to get to the gaff, dammit! That’s fishing, I guess!

Yes Baz ouch! I never like seeing a rod go swimming! You took it pretty well though. If it was my rod, you probably would have learnt a few new words! 

Peter, unlucky with the hook mate. They are meant for the fish :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Yes Baz ouch! I never like seeing a rod go swimming! You took it pretty well though. If it was my rod, you probably would have learnt a few new words! 

Peter, unlucky with the hook mate. They are meant for the fish :P

The trouble is, I don’t actually know the rod model or the reel model, so that I can find the same ones and replace them so the missus doesn’t find out! ?

• Like 1