Hawkesbury Handline Fishing

Jords boi

Always been a fan of handlining when I’m on a boat, I find it gives a cheaper alternative to having lots of rods out at once and can get more of a chance of catchig with more lines out, especially for catching yakka and other baitfish. I recently purchased a couple big handlines (40/60/80lb) and have added them to the arsenal when out in Cowan creek or Pittwater etc (the local for me).

Last week as mentioned in a previous post I managed to catch a couple big blue swimmer crabs on said handlines as well as a couple decent bream (31cm & 29cm). On my 80lb line I had a huge slab of yakka on a big hook (unsure of size) and after 20mins or so of it sitting just above the bottom of a real deep section of Cowan creek BOOM the hand reel line went off and I slowly grabbed it and let the line flow out and it was extraordinarily heavier and stronger than the bream caught earlier on the handline. After 10 seconds or so the line snapped and the hook/sinker gone. Would love to know what people think might’ve been the culprit. It was around a section of Cowan in between cottage point and Cowan point. 

As a result of this somewhat disheartening event (thought I was on to a monster catch and dinner), I’ve rigged one of my big hand reels with a wire trace ready for next time. I’m heading out to Cowan the next two saturdays in search of revenge and I’ll make sure I report my journey. 

Would also love to hear stories of people’s experiences with handlining and any advice would be greatly appreciated, maybe even stories of raiders’ biggest catch on a handline??

Thanks all!

Edited by Jords boi

Guest Guest123456789

They are great especially on a small boat. Allows you to have heaps of Pre rigged set ups without requiring annoying rocket launchers etc or have a boat full of trip hazards. Tackle stores must HATE hand lines, as you say they’re dirt cheap and have a long life.

Good mate who lives near Gladstone always had 200lb handline setup with 12/0 and would only use it if we caught a 20cm plus Moses Perch for live bait. Caught some big Cod, Shovelnose lost Barra, Sharks etc. One day in 6 metres with bait set straight down line goes off followed by Dolphin cartwheeling literally over the boat thankfully pulling the hook in the kaos.  Sufficiently traumatised he has never done it again. Be careful as you never know what you might hook up to. 

3 hours ago, Jords boi said:

Always been a fan of handlining when I’m on a boat, I find it gives a cheaper alternative to having lots of rods out at once and can get more of a chance of catchig with more lines out, especially for catching yakka and other baitfish. I recently purchased a couple big handlines (40/60/80lb) and have added them to the arsenal when out in Cowan creek or Pittwater etc (the local for me).

Last week as mentioned in a previous post I managed to catch a couple big blue swimmer crabs on said handlines as well as a couple decent bream (31cm & 29cm). On my 80lb line I had a huge slab of yakka on a big hook (unsure of size) and after 20mins or so of it sitting just above the bottom of a real deep section of Cowan creek BOOM the hand reel line went off and I slowly grabbed it and let the line flow out and it was extraordinarily heavier and stronger than the bream caught earlier on the handline. After 10 seconds or so the line snapped and the hook/sinker gone. Would love to know what people think might’ve been the culprit. It was around a section of Cowan in between cottage point and Cowan point. 

As a result of this somewhat disheartening event (thought I was on to a monster catch and dinner), I’ve rigged one of my big hand reels with a wire trace ready for next time. I’m heading out to Cowan the next two saturdays in search of revenge and I’ll make sure I report my journey. 

Would also love to hear stories of people’s experiences with handlining and any advice would be greatly appreciated, maybe even stories of raiders’ biggest catch on a handline??

Thanks all!

Even though I have a huge fishing tackle collection I still love handlining Bream in the rivers and Flatties outside- you rarely miss a 'proper' bite.   Biggest-   On our 2nd "annual hairtail trip"(done 27 now)one of the guys Ross, who was new to fishing, slowly and excitedly pulled a big flathead on a heavy handline to the low 'duckboard' at the back of the boat for gaffing. Before I could gaff it, he swung it onto the duckboard(low platform) next to our feet. A second later the most massive Mulloway of all time did a slow-motion roll right on the surface only a foot away, looking for the flathead. It was there for a few seconds and I could have gaffed it easily except third mate Doug grabbed my shirt from behind and pulled me back on purpose. It was a home-made gaff from a wooden broom handle and the opposite end to the hook had a loop of venetian blind cord to put your hand through, which I had done. It's lucky for me Doug was so quick thinking because that giant Jewie would have knocked us off the platform and we all agreed it would have drowned me for sure. That was in Refuge Bay in Cowan in 1988

7 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Even though I have a huge fishing tackle collection I still love handlining Bream in the rivers and Flatties outside- you rarely miss a 'proper' bite.   Biggest-   On our 2nd "annual hairtail trip"(done 27 now)one of the guys Ross, who was new to fishing, slowly and excitedly pulled a big flathead on a heavy handline to the low 'duckboard' at the back of the boat for gaffing. Before I could gaff it, he swung it onto the duckboard(low platform) next to our feet. A second later the most massive Mulloway of all time did a slow-motion roll right on the surface only a foot away, looking for the flathead. It was there for a few seconds and I could have gaffed it easily except third mate Doug grabbed my shirt from behind and pulled me back on purpose. It was a home-made gaff from a wooden broom handle and the opposite end to the hook had a loop of venetian blind cord to put your hand through, which I had done. It's lucky for me Doug was so quick thinking because that giant Jewie would have knocked us off the platform and we all agreed it would have drowned me for sure. That was in Refuge Bay in Cowan in 1988

That’s incredible, what a sight that would’ve been. I’ll be heading to refuge bay this weekend, here’s hoping! 

I would be guessing it was a Hairtail that bit you off with 80lb line, either that or a shark.

I am 71 years old and been fishing since a age that I can't remember , I have an enormous amount of fishing gear but I still enjoy the feel of a hand line, not 80 lb more like 6-12 lb . I used to fish 40 lb line back in the day in the mid 60's and 70's out at the Peak off Sydney and have caught some mighty big fish with hand line, some of which are small Yellowfin tuna to around 30lb ( hardly never measured or weighed fish back those days ) Cobia, Wahoo, Snapper and many more species that frequent the offshore reefs.

Very rarely use them these days but still have a couple in the boat. Got a wall full of them in the shed.

Frank

• Like 2

8 hours ago, frankS said:

I would be guessing it was a Hairtail that bit you off with 80lb line, either that or a shark.

I am 71 years old and been fishing since a age that I can't remember , I have an enormous amount of fishing gear but I still enjoy the feel of a hand line, not 80 lb more like 6-12 lb . I used to fish 40 lb line back in the day in the mid 60's and 70's out at the Peak off Sydney and have caught some mighty big fish with hand line, some of which are small Yellowfin tuna to around 30lb ( hardly never measured or weighed fish back those days ) Cobia, Wahoo, Snapper and many more species that frequent the offshore reefs.

Very rarely use them these days but still have a couple in the boat. Got a wall full of them in the shed.

Frank

my first guess was a shark, but interesting that you say it couldve been a hairtail. 

Thats amazing! wouldve been a pretty crazy experience bringing in one of them on a handline. I'm with you, love the feel and the whole primitive nature of it. 

• Like 1

I see you have said that the line snapped and you lost your sinker and hook and everything. Was the sinker sitting on the hook or was it up the line a bit above a swivel or similar and if so, how far above the hook. If the sinker was straight on the hook then you could have been bitten off, likely a shark if it was very heavy and loaded up before it cut through the line.  If the sinker was further up the line and you have lost the lot then that is different. The line might have had a nick in it or got scuffed around a rock or something on the bottom, was the line rough or scuffed near where it snapped? A second fish might have bitten the sinker during the fight but less likely, if it was a big fish (possibly a shark) and the line was under alot of tension when it snapped then the fish might have swung his tail through the line under tension causing it to break. 

1 hour ago, Captain Spanner said:

I see you have said that the line snapped and you lost your sinker and hook and everything. Was the sinker sitting on the hook or was it up the line a bit above a swivel or similar and if so, how far above the hook. If the sinker was straight on the hook then you could have been bitten off, likely a shark if it was very heavy and loaded up before it cut through the line.  If the sinker was further up the line and you have lost the lot then that is different. The line might have had a nick in it or got scuffed around a rock or something on the bottom, was the line rough or scuffed near where it snapped? A second fish might have bitten the sinker during the fight but less likely, if it was a big fish (possibly a shark) and the line was under alot of tension when it snapped then the fish might have swung his tail through the line under tension causing it to break. 

Sinker was just sitting on the line not tied on by itself. It’s brand new so doubt there would’ve been nicks or damage to the line. I’m heading out tomorrow and I’ve got wire trace on it now so hopefully won’t get bitten off again!