Stick Bait - New

Spool

Want to get into stick bait lures though need help. I wanted to get 2 one for surface and one sinking. I have a Shimano Sahara X spinning rod which is 7 foot 4-8kg.

What weight stick bait would be good for this rod? And I want to catch a lot of different species such as: Kingfish, Jewfish, Tailor, Trevally and occassion Snapper so what length stickbait would be good for this? I will be mainly land based aswell.

Besides all of that what is the difference poppers and stick bait?

Thanks look forward to your help.

Edited by Spool

Popper = Large mouth at the front that will cause a lot of resistance when retrieving. This resistance create noise and large splash that will attract pelagic fish. Poppers are surface lures 

popper.jpg.d7b346b02c3d0f3094b1ce0cde27439a.jpg

Stickbait = A stick that has been moulded and painted to look like a bait fish. They come either in floating or sinking. Sinking will be determined by their weight / buoyancy coefficient. Look on the packet normally they will advise either floating or sinking.

Stickbait.jpg.e5d11edb1a192c899dbd5b3ed3b2e862.jpg

Generally the fish species you are looking for, you will need a lure between the size of 90-200mm. They do get larger. I prefer lures sized between 120-180mm. Smaller fish will take large lures and large fish will take small lures though so finding a happy medium is great. IMO Its really the colour and action that matters most.

Regarding your rod, the Shimano Sahara X Spinning. I cannot find much info on the rod, but you want to see what weight of lure it can effectively cast. The action of the rod will determine the lure weight and effectively casting distance.

For brands, things can get out of hand very quickly in price. Since you want to start off using lures I would suggest the Rapala series of lures initially. Though if you wanted to invest in some thing more flash, then I would point you to nomad lures. There are literately thousands of brands out there ranging for $10 to 100s of dollars for a lures

Check youtube for methods of retrieve. For a beginner i would recommend mastering walk the dog and the sweep.

Edited by connico
  • Like 1

i think the sahara x are instore shimano model for boating camping fishing store (you know where you purchased it)

judging by its specs. its probably just a rebranded shimano rod. maybe even previous model catana i assume.

the samaki flash is a sinking stickbait stile lure (half metal, half plastic) which will work well for a variety of species like, kingfish, bonito and tailor etc.

Most rods have optimum line bs rang followed by casting weight range printed near front grip.  

Rod code 702sw is prbably either 7ft 2in Salt Water or 7ft 2 peice Salt Water.

51 minutes ago, campr said:

Most rods have optimum line bs rang followed by casting weight range printed near front grip.  

Rod code 702sw is prbably either 7ft 2in Salt Water or 7ft 2 peice Salt Water.

With a lot of shimanos i have found they dont tho

I have a sahara (different model to spool's ) and a cazna both dont have it:mellow: