A good day...

I've been itching to get out on the river before the water levels drop to the "UNABLE TO USE BOAT " level. I've had the time, but 40 km /hr wind or the only rain for the past 6 months, has kept me home. Yesterday it all looked good although the weather here in the MIA has started to get a bit cold. I headed to Narrandera where Jewdreamer and I went recently, armed with a few repaired spinnerbaits and lures. The beach upstream of the boat ramp has left a very narrow channel which has a huge log plonked in it. Whether I could navigate past it crossed my mind but I played safe and went downstream. I trolled my favourite Stumpjumper for about half a km and passed another boat with a man, woman and child aboard. They had scored 1 Cod and were deeply engrossed in making it 2, so I crept past them, still trolling. NOTHING DOING! The river gets really shallow round the old railway bridge so I turned around and started casting a lure into the snags as I headed back upstream. I worked some of the snags that the other boat had worked, STILL NO LUCK. After I passed them, I crossed the river and changed to the old favourite red /black spinnerbait and my luck changed almost immediately. 

I love the challenge presented by spinnerbait casting. A few cms short and nothing. The best cast is one that hits the snag and the spinnerbait drops real close to the hidden structure below the water. Yesterday I was casting really well. One cast hit the fork of a branch where it entered the water. The spinnerbait teetered on the fork before slowly dropping into the water. I watched the blades slowly rotate as it started its descent then BOOF. The fish leapt from the water and landed in the forked space momentarily. A flick of its large tail and it was back in the snag. BUGGER, it has me snagged. I let line out but it didn't budge. Intent on getting my favourite spinnerbait back I attached the lure retriever pole and whacked the lure. Amazingly it came free and a somewhat stunned Murray Cod made its way into the boat (low 60s). I ended up with 4 Cod, 2 of which were keepers, but let them all go for another day. Here's a few pics from the day. Cheers, bn.

IMG_0315rs.thumb.jpg.d77596bd5ae0f14d106967b7fce9c975.jpgIMG_0316rs.thumb.jpg.bdf416cd496dc014d5a9feacd23616a2.jpgIMG_0319rs.thumb.jpg.cbe0dd33cca20a71c2894643c0c3a6db.jpgIMG_0317rs.thumb.jpg.f77e389c2f6961c8a0bee2c2bdff6e48.jpg

These stumps are usually a metre under water.

IMG_0320rs.jpg.fb3a236c18bc03b2c1cd11b2dbec051e.jpg

The boat ramp...

IMG_0321rs.thumb.jpg.fdea3b3d2b9610eb1b36f6b727bc025d.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Great work BN. We only have tides to contend with. It must be frustrating on a nice day when you can’t get your boat out there! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

It sure is. Can always fish from the bank of course but even that presents problems when there are metres of mud to contend with. I always feel sad that the fish may be suffering. bn

10 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

Nice photos BN, looks like it was a pretty good session, hopefully the water level comes back soon!

It will drop even more between now and September when irrigation needs increase. Virtually no rain for more than 6 months, if we don't get a lot in Winter the dams will be very low levels. Cheers, bn

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, Lizardboy said:

Love casting spinnerbaits to snags, glad you still have your trusty red one!

Yep, great fun and rewarding when the perfect cast gets hammered. bn

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Is there a nicer fish than a freshwater Cod love fishing for Cod one of my top fish 

Only 4 weeks to go and I'll be into them again. The water level is definitely going to be low but if the flows are slow it will give me a rare opportunity for some lure and spinnerbait fishing in Summer when the fish are most aggressive. Watch this space, bn

8 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Only 4 weeks to go and I'll be into them again. The water level is definitely going to be low but if the flows are slow it will give me a rare opportunity for some lure and spinnerbait fishing in Summer when the fish are most aggressive. Watch this space, bn

sounds good mate looking forward for further reports