Tamworth cod

8 hours ago, Kingyjohn said:

Hey guys was just wondering wether you get cod in Tamworth if not where would be close

Yep Murray Cod all through the New England area mate. Apparently, there's been very little rain up that way though, so river levels and dam levels are low. Keepit Dam would be the nearest (from memory) between Tamworth and Gunnedah. Good luck bn

18 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Yep Murray Cod all through the New England area mate. Apparently, there's been very little rain up that way though, so river levels and dam levels are low. Keepit Dam would be the nearest (from memory) between Tamworth and Gunnedah. Good luck bn

Have to agree with Neil on this one fish there years ago for some fine cod .

1 hour ago, Kingyjohn said:

So they’d be in the river that runs through Tamworth 

1 hour ago, Kingyjohn said:

So they’d be in the river that runs through Tamworth 

Possibly! But, if I remember correctly the Peel River runs into and out of Tamworth and has very little flow. I don't recall the fishing being much good there. Keepit Dam is located between Tamworth and Gunnedah on the Namoi River and is excellent fishing. If you do decide on Keepit for a fish try to get some local worms (they're like small snakes). Deadly for all freshwater species. Good luck bn

Edited by big Neil
incorrect information

Hey mate i live in Tamworth. Fishing for cod is going great around town at the moment. Any where upstream of the town to chaffey dam has good fish.Down stream to keepit is a reel struggle. Unfortunately you need permission by the local farmers to acsess the good water .

On 5/10/2018 at 9:26 PM, Kingyjohn said:

Just wondering do cod bite on the surface all through the day and what lures should I be taking as I’ve never targeted them

cheers

Check out the "Murray Cod" article in the "ARTICLES SECTION" on here. Good luck. bn

http://www.fishraider.com.au/article/murray-cod/ 

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
link to article added
  • Thanks 1

Hey mate keepit is down to its lowest level in many years. Its so low you can see the original namoi river, the fish are still there but haven't heard any good reporys for a few weeks. Give it a go mate what can you lose. Chaffey dam has more water in it but the cod seem to shut down this time of year as the water has got cold realy quick,like i said before you probably have more chance in the peel river, you can access it  straight below the dam wall and bush bash down stream. Cheers Scotty 

This time of year the fish may be more active mid-afternoon onwards on a sunny day. If fishing from the bank worms will do it and in a boat at Keepit Dam troll lures and throw spinnerbaits around the trees. Plenty of Cod in the Namoi and in the dam. Good luck. bn