Coogee to Bate Bay

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

We do most of our fishing off the Northern Beaches and that is largely because i have a good understanding of the under water terrain, fortunately this provides consitent success and finding a feed on almost all trips. That being said Botany is actually more convenient for me but gets set asife because i havent got around to collecting gps marks and coordinates for my fav eating fish . Having recently aquired some seabed charts for coogee to bondi I spent some time interogating the charts and marking likely gps coordinates to test out. Sunday was the day and the conditions were fantastic.

Arrived at Foreshore boat ramp at 6am and the car park was almost full, with the que backed up all the way to the traffic lights! Id imagine they locked the gates at 7. Did anyone get in after that.

It was interesting to see some big game boats getting launched and was curious to know what theyre chasing this time of year? Late season Marlin perhaps.

There was an early morning breeze which made drifting a little difficult but that was resolved when we deployed the sea anchor. What a great little invention they are.

This breeze died out around 9am and ironically around midday the breeze was entirely gone. I remember dropping the paternoster in 64m and the line went down in almost a straight line. Eventually the line started heading to the front of the boat as the under water current appeared to be moving north faster than we were stationary on the surface.

Tried a whole bunch of new marks from Bate Bay all the way to Coogee wide and happy to report that we managed a nice mixed bag of a dozen red spot whiting and a dozen flathead. Also managed one pigfish.

Couldnt find any legal snapper to take home but overall very happy with the result especially considering it was really an exploratory trip.

Thanks for reading

Sam

A688DF81-6BC2-41BD-8466-8B95E7B9707B.png

• Like 3

On 07/05/2018 at 8:25 PM, Stu-SP said:

Nice report Sam, they were probably chasing all the yellow fin tuna off Sydney at the moment. Also still marlin and dollies about.

Cheers mate, the gamefishing section on FR has all but dissappeared this season so i dont have any intel !  Where abouts did you hear about the run of tuna?

On 09/05/2018 at 7:40 AM, GoingFishing said:

Cheers mate, the gamefishing section on FR has all but dissappeared this season so i dont have any intel !  Where abouts did you hear about the run of tuna?

There are posts all over Facebook with people getting them off Sydney. A mate of mine got a 60kg model last weekend, out past browns in about 100 fathoms.

12 hours ago, Stu-SP said:

There are posts all over Facebook with people getting them off Sydney. A mate of mine got a 60kg model last weekend, out past browns in about 100 fathoms.

Are you sure about 100 fathoms? Maybe about 30 kms away? 

Tell the people posting on BragBook to do some reports here for us :) Stu 

Have to admit that Foreshore rd is the last pace I would launch from on any weekend day.

Its just the way my roster works but I really enjoy the bay when I get a day off from Monday to Thursday as there is no one or no agro around.

Surprised you didn't do some trolling on either side of the heads for Kings as this is the 1st thing I would do if I have an ocean going boat before heading deeper.

I have been on a few charters south of port hacking before Coalcliff that produced some nice flatties but then again catching anything up to 80cm is pretty common inside botany bay so I don't really go on charters anymore for that reason.

Good to see you came home with a feed anyway :D

Edited by kingie chaser