Tips for fishing for bait eg yakka

Jords boi

Heading off to Cowan creek Friday night and staying over on a boat till Saturday arvo this weekend. Hoping to go after some Jew and some other stuff so we are looking to catch some yakkas and other baitfish we can live bait with. I’ve got a rod set up with a sabiki jig and have been told sometimes putting bread or squid on the end of the little hooks works sometimes. I’ve had some luck with yakkas at Waratah bay down on Cowan creek but was wondering what are some helpful hints and tips hunting yakkas. 

I’m only fairly new to fishing more seriously so am trying to soak in as much knowledge as I can from all you wise raiders so all your help has and will be much appreciated! 

JordsBoi

Edited by Jords boi

put squid on the hooks its tougher than other baits so stays on longer

and mush bread in a bucket with water and throw out handfuls here n there as burley

once you have burleyed them up you'll get as many as you want in 10mins

Edited by ARC H

You should find yakkas anywhere close enough to the ocean where the water is clear and clean.

Look close to the shoreline on  rock outcrops with kelp.

Like  Arc says burley up with soaked bread .. mix with a pilchard to add a little oil and fishing flavour. Don't over burley.

I generally use a small long shank and a small piece of pilchard towards from towards the tail end of a pilchard but as soon as I catch a yakka or a slimey I fillet it and cut it up into small baits... I think this works best and the yakka baits in particular are very firm when they are freshly filleted.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

As above and when I used a subiki I used a star sinker on the bottom the taught line seems to make them hook themselves (no give) but I bait all three hooks normally. They cant resist it. I have had good results with a handline small splitshot and long shank hook.

3 minutes ago, blaxland said:

As above and when I used a subiki I used a star sinker on the bottom the taught line seems to make them hook themselves (no give) but I bait all three hooks normally. They cant resist it. I have had good results with a handline small splitshot and long shank hook.

As above but I prefer the split-shot a foot above a size 12 or 14 longshank(Mustad 4540half) to the sabiki, you can literally 'pole' yakkas one after another when they turn up in your bread+oil burley. As fragmeister said, don't use too much burley, just a fine trail will see them within a few metres of the boat, you want them to stay around the whole night. There's usually thousands of yakkas, hardyheads and garfish in places like Waratah this time of year. More than likely a few hairtail around also, we were catching them this time last year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

As above but I prefer the split-shot a foot above a size 12 or 14 longshank(Mustad 4540half) to the sabiki, you can literally 'pole' yakkas one after another when they turn up in your bread+oil burley. As fragmeister said, don't use too much burley, just a fine trail will see them within a few metres of the boat, you want them to stay around the whole night. There's usually thousands of yakkas, hardyheads and garfish in places like Waratah this time of year. More than likely a few hairtail around also, we were catching them this time last year

Nothing wrong with sabiki, I just find you can catch bait much quicker with the baited hook. We usually have at least one yakka competition to while away the time on 4-5 day houseboat trips, and we take 2 plastic laundry baskets with a bike tube around the outside and shake the yakkas off straight into the basket, which does away with the need for a noisy aerator also. you can use virtually anything for bait but tiny pieces of tuna with skin on enables you to catch heaps on the one bait

• Like 1

plenty of bait in Cowan at the moment, up the bays on the edge of the weed is as good a place as anywhere, most bays will have yakka's - sabikis arent as effective up in Cowan as an unweighted bait- if you really have your heart set on a jewie dont waste your time with yakka's- live or fresh squid or cuttlefish is the go in Cowan- look in the same places as above on the weedbeds.