Vintage Len Butterworth Glassmaster

Ryder

Hi Raiders

Im looking for some advice.

I picked up this rod today from the tip buy back center for $5IMG_2018.thumb.JPG.f36f1e0d17b7f9e348519740acc460e1.JPG

It's 11ft long 2 piece labeled 'Estuary'. The first guide has a ceramic insert, the next 4 and tip are all metal. It has a whipping action and I'm thinking it might be a Bream/ Blackfish rod. It's the older style brown sanded blank.

Although its old and two piece it doesn't have a ferrule. As it is the top section sides inside the bottom section only about 4 cm. 

Is this normal or does it need to be repaired.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

IMG_0788.thumb.JPG.5d5d76328f9c808b645794f8669c8402.JPG

After heaps of research ( funny how much leads back to fishraider) I think the ferrule has gone missing. 

Ive booked it in for a trip to the rod doctor.

The pattern in the glass is really cool, I know it's early and Butterworth used other fibreglass blanks before producing their own. IMG_2023.thumb.JPG.f929e4354d3ae49364376d33893d61c1.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

That’s a lot cheaper than I thought, might have to dust the off and get the beach rod redone.

i have great memory of playing in the sand with him while he soaked some baits.

Seriously, have a think about doing it yourself. It’s really satisfying. A good tackle shop will advise on the guides, binding thread, fillers and epoxy. It’s a bit old school but go to your local library and look for a book “Understanding Fishing Tackle” by the late Dick Lewers. There’s a whole section on rod building. There are plenty of other books too... and then there’s YouTube.

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, Mullet Head said:

Hi all, I have been a Len Butterworth Schneider glass Alvey person for 45 years now and I just got asked what the numbers mean on his hand written signature to the right of the Power Rod emblem, this one has Miami Beach 5.5 6122? Any one know please?

6122 usually means 6 wraps of glass 122 inches or 10 ft 2 in - how long is it? The 55 might be SS which indicates rod type 'SS' = 'Surf Spin' denoting the rod's action

Edited by wazatherfisherman
more info
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...