winter fishing

jmadden

any one have any tips for winter estuary fishing around sydney. what should i be using as in tackle and what fish should i be fishing for?

i mainly use soft plastics and hardbodys but am not sure on colour,type and size. cheers

The winter whiting a biting right now... shallows and head lands seems to be producing. Worms and nippers as the best bait but I've been getting results with Sugarpen hard-bodies and Zman soft plastics. Any of the colours work but i'm using motor oil and watermelon. Also been using cranka glitter nipper soft plastics with some success as well.

The winter bream is also biting hard all along the estuaries, traditional baits such worms, chicken, pilchards, bread etc are working really well. I've been using cranka crabs with great success from the banks, structure and walls. Have not caught any with hard bodies as yet but might try next weekend.

I've mainly been fishing from shore within the Hacking and Georges 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tyrone07 said:

Good time to be chasing Jewys on lures, have to put in the time and effort but the rewards are definately there 

Tyrone, I understood the best time to do this is while the tide is slack, ie an hour before and after high and low tide. Is this correct??

cheers

Richard

On 22/05/2018 at 1:47 PM, nutsaboutfishing said:

Tyrone, I understood the best time to do this is while the tide is slack, ie an hour before and after high and low tide. Is this correct??

cheers

Richard

Yeah mate definately if a tide change coincides with either dusk or dawn, fine the bait and the fish are generally not to far away.

Another good tip is to berley off the beach. Sounds strange to some people but it helps.  Two methods that i use work well

Traditional berley, freeze into large blocks and then bury in the sand. As the wash comes in it washes the berley out slowly...

Sock Method, make fresh berley and put i in a sock / stocking or hesh bag. Tie to a to a rope and rope to your rod holder. This lets you move the berley sock up and down the beach. Also if you're lucky you'll see where the worms are as well lol

Edited by connico
  • Like 1