Brisbane Water Mulloway

tyrone07

G’day all, had a very small window to fish a tide change in a well known location in Brisbane Waters and marked some good fish on the sounder. Managed a nice soapie on a 4inch zman swimmerz in Pearl White my pretty much go to lure at the moment. Have had a couple of sessions now with not a fish boated but that is fishing for Jew on lures very frustrating, good to get that smell on the boat. Hearing good reports out of the Hawkes so I hope it’s a better few months then this time last year.

2EE61926-E52D-407B-A436-41E761FA6F17.jpeg

• Like 8

Congrats on a great catch! Do you mind explaining what size jigheads you use and how you work the plastic? I bought a bunch of swimmerz in 4” and 6” recently but can’t get the fish to hit it. Have had plenty of follows all the way to the boat but no decent strikes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ledge said:

Congrats on a great catch! Do you mind explaining what size jigheads you use and how you work the plastic? I bought a bunch of swimmerz in 4” and 6” recently but can’t get the fish to hit it. Have had plenty of follows all the way to the boat but no decent strikes.

G’day mate my jigheads vary from 3/8, up to an ounce in certain conditions, majority of the time I fish a 1/2 ounce. I usually fish in depths of 6-15 meters, I generally keep it fairly simple just single hops along the bottom. 95% of hits come as the lures sinking back to the bottom, always need to maintain contact with your lure, few little hints when you give the lure the hop follow it back to the bottom by slowly dropping your rod tip towards the water as the lure sinks, strike at the faintest of touches, and cover as much water as you can. I generally find in the deeper water you won’t get as many Flathead but the ones you do get are always solid. If you wanna practice your techniques I’d fish shallower depths with the smaller swimmerz and lighted jig head say 1/4 and target lizards specifically. They will happily hit lures and gets you practice as to striking at the right time etc.

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

Nice catch Tyrone. Yet to catch one with a lure so you e inspired me. Curious as to why you seem to fish brissie waters more these days instead of offshore?

4 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Nice catch Tyrone. Yet to catch one with a lure so you e inspired me. Curious as to why you seem to fish brissie waters more these days instead of offshore?

Haha mate I generally get six days off after my block of shifts so fish as much as I can, I love chasing fish just as much in the estuaries as I do heading offshore. I fish solo a lot so am more comfortable fishing Brizzy Waters to be honest. I still head out on my own on a good day, I find catching Jew on lures the most rewarding but challenging species to target 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sam bros said:

Love the photo with the Plastic in its mouth!!

Thanks mate, you can see I only just pinned it in the top lip, plenty of times I have either missed them or pulled hooks.