Botany Bay

Penguin

Hi everyone

We decided to take our boat out to botany bay on Saturday and see if we could catch a few fish for a feed.

We loaded up on yakkas and then proceeded to downrig them around a few markers, Mollineoux Pt

and the Bare Island bommie. We had no luck at any of these spots. At this stage we found a spot to anchor up 

and soak a few baits. After we got a good burley trail going we started to get some hits. Most fish were undersize

Trevs and Snapper with the odd Bream thrown in the mix. We had a live yakkas out but something kept biting

their heads off. I decided to not waste our headless yakkas and filleted them up. We sent yakka fillets down into

our berley trail. We started to get takes form Kingies every now and again as the school would pass by. Sometimes

we had double hook ups. We landed a few and lost few. The biggest for the day was lost on the anchor rope.

We kept four legals 65-68cm and released 8 or 9 just undersize models. We also landed a 54cm Tailor. We lost

a few more Tailor due to being bitten off near the hook. 

We called it a day after that and headed back to the ramp.

Here is a couple of pics. The little guy is my godson Thomo.

IMG_0295.thumb.jpg.b255c48d1552d76bc6bdbd979513b4b8.jpgIMG_0299.thumb.jpg.bb9e7ef3a05ed63e37ac1d2fbe897a08.jpg

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, anthman said:

Were all the kingie caught on yakka strios floated in the berley? Weightless?

Yes, with a loose drag and line being stripped at a rate to match the current.

On 5/19/2018 at 2:34 PM, kingie chaser said:

Care to share the approx. area where you were anchored up?

I'm heading out early next week & would like to target kings doing the same thing.

Over at the Kurnell side of the bay between the sticks and the the oil wharf.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Penguin said:

Over at the Kurnell side of the bay between the sticks and the the oil wharf.

Thanks mate, been all over the place trying for a kingie but I think its one of those right place right time things in the bay, this time I am going to use a similar strategy & anchor up & spent some time there with heaps of burley.

Wednesday looks like the day weather wise :thumbup:

Cheers for the info :D

On 5/21/2018 at 3:34 PM, kingie chaser said:

Thanks mate, been all over the place trying for a kingie but I think its one of those right place right time things in the bay, this time I am going to use a similar strategy & anchor up & spent some time there with heaps of burley.

Wednesday looks like the day weather wise :thumbup:

Cheers for the info :D

Best of luck to you and hope you get a few.

4 hours ago, Penguin said:

Best of luck to you and hope you get a few.

Thanks for that. 

Went out today armed with sh*t loads of burley, as in a pilchard log, 2kg pilchards & even stuff I had saved in the freezer from my last trip, caught livies & still came up with zip.

Anchored east of the cans for about 1.5hr, anchored & at molly for about 1.5hrs & anchored at 3rd runway for about 1.5 hrs.

Oh well, that's fishing :lol:

Nice day out there though but nothing around, water temp was 17 so may be the reason or I'm just out of luck with being there at the right time.

Anyway that's my fishing in the bay done till after winter but I will keep trying as one day my luck has to change :thumbup:

• Like 1

Have been out twice in the last couple of weeks, there's a stack of bait (yakkas and big slimeys around) but couldn't raise a king at either Molineux, the drums, near the oil refinery or the airport. Tried live baiting on the top, the bottom, butterflied yakkas with and without weights, fillets. Nothing. We didn't have fresh squid which might have helped.

Picked up a couple tailor trolling around towra.

• Like 1