Flathead in the bucket

Toilor

With the Bonnies taking a well earned holiday I am forced to try my hand at other species. Around 4pm I threw a few light rods and some bread in the back if the car and down to a small jetty in the hope of a few gardies for bait supply.  Rigged the daughter up for gar and small sp for me. Unhooking a small bream on the gar rod and a 47cm flat chap eats the sp duly landed and dinners sorted.  Sort out bream and back in with sp, straight on you little beauty. Get him in close and see he's bigger than the last and may test the 6lb leader dead lifting the fish up.  Hmmmm knew I should have brought the net, oh well bucket it is.  If you have ever used a bucket as a net you know it fills with water and weighs a ton and is very hard to manoeuvre.  Short story long DD is up to the task despite Flat chap going mental and spraying water everywhere, working together we hoist bucket and flathead onto jetty and high fives all round.  Fish goes 60cm and provides delicious dinner. As a bait collecting mission its a disaster but a great trip all the same.  The fish in the photo with fist pump is 60cm and next pic is 47cm.

20180508_181127.jpg

• Like 3

Good couple of Lizards there mate, gotta love flicking for flatys, especially with that sky, and never a good idea lifting them in on 6lb, u only get 1 shot at it.

What system u fishing in? 

Reminds me of a session one evening when I was up in Noosa many years ago. Sitting on a jetty by the unit we had rented throwing in unweighted bread mushed into a dough on a small long shank live bait hook rigged onto a real light rod and reel. I was having fun catching small Bream and throwing them back when something more serious bent the rod. It was a Flattie up around the 60cm mark, I walked mine up onto the sand next to the jetty. The one fish fed both me and the wife... Funny how you can be targeting one species and suddenly hook something completely unexpected. 

:D