TwinPower SW 5000

Spool

In the process of buying the Shimano 5000 Twin Power SW yet still very uncertain of the things I need to know. I will have a couple of questions.

1. Contemplating 5000 and 8000 size but need help. Will the 5000 size be enough for the fishing I will do? Would 8000 be too heavy and big for all day use? 

I will be doing a lot of inshore, land base and occasional offshore game. 

The fish I will be targeting inshore are metre Kingfish and Mulloway.

Offshore game I will be targetting fish like Mackerel, Tuna, Sailfish etc.

1. Would 13KG max drag be enough for the above targets? Or is this more than enough?

1. Just a rough estimate what would be the weight of the fish this 5000 reel could be able to handle and catch? Would I be able to catch fish around 20-50kg mark?

1. Just want to know if this reel is made from Japan only? 

Thanks sorry for the rookieness. 

Go the 8000, the 5000 could land big fish but it wouldn't be something I would be wanting to regularly be doing with it.

If you think you will be ok targetting 20-50kg then using an 8000 all day should be easy. The rod you use will play a big part in handling an outfit all day. Something comfortable and more on the parabolic side ( bends right through rather than just the tip ) make using an outfit all day quite comfortable. The 8000 is pretty light anyway.

Edited by JonD

Realistically if you are going to catch the species mentioned then the 8000 is a good all rounder.

Of are you hoping to catch these species? As JonD mentioned the pairing rod is also important.

I can cast my 5000 and 6000 reels for 4-5hrs then get tired. but after an 1hr on my 8000 my arms ache. mind you i dont have the biggest arms.

Hey bud , read my reply to your questions on the Stradic 4000-you can land a 50 kg fish on 6 kg line if your gear is up to scratch- BUT reels are not winches- stop worrying about max drag pressure etc etc- a 1 M king weighs about 8-12 kgs depending on condition etc, same with a jewie- the drag is meant to release line under pressure- not be locked up, as to your original question the Twinpower is a fine reel but you will get better bang for your buck with the Saragosas- as for size- are you mainly land based or shore based- what method of fishing are you using?bait/lures/trolling- how about you tell us a bit more about your situation and we can give you some more specific help- how big are you?how much experience do you have etc etc

The Saragosa is good for both land or shore based since its both light weight and sealed. I would suggest looking at a 6000SW and comparing the features of the Twin Power you are looking at. For the price of a twin power you could both a 6000SW and a 10k Saragosa :P Just saying

6 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Hey bud , read my reply to your questions on the Stradic 4000-you can land a 50 kg fish on 6 kg line if your gear is up to scratch- BUT reels are not winches- stop worrying about max drag pressure etc etc- a 1 M king weighs about 8-12 kgs depending on condition etc, same with a jewie- the drag is meant to release line under pressure- not be locked up, as to your original question the Twinpower is a fine reel but you will get better bang for your buck with the Saragosas- as for size- are you mainly land based or shore based- what method of fishing are you using?bait/lures/trolling- how about you tell us a bit more about your situation and we can give you some more specific help- how big are you?how much experience do you have etc etc

How much different in size is the 5000 to 8000? Is it just deeper spool or the whole reel is abit bigger?

More info: I already made my mind on the Twin Power. I am mainly going to be land based and inshore boating. Chasing metre plus Kingfish. Occasionally go offshore to target big game fish. I will be using the reel all day so what size is good for the task?

I will be using stick baits and poppers. Also use bait on float and bottom bashing. And live baiting aswell.

I already have a light setup for smaller fish which is a Stradic CI4+ 4000. But overall my main target with TP are big Kings. Would a 5000 be enough? Should I get a 8000 later on for when I dedicate more trips going offshore? 

Edited by Spool

12 minutes ago, Spool said:

How much different in size is the 5000 to 8000? Is it just deeper spool or the whole reel is abit bigger?

More info: I already made my mind on the Twin Power. I am mainly going to be land based and inshore boating. Chasing metre plus Kingfish. Occasionally go offshore to target big game fish. I will be using the reel all day so what size is good for the task?

I will be using stick baits and poppers. Also use bait on float and bottom bashing. And live baiting aswell.

I already have a light setup for smaller fish which is a Stradic CI4+ 4000. But overall my main target with TP are big Kings. Would a 5000 be enough? Should I get a 8000 later on for when I dedicate more trips going offshore? 

Have you ever caught a king over 1m ? With luck on your side ie no reef or structure for a king to get you into then the 5000 will stop the odd one. Even with a 8000 you will still lose some kingfish as they are ultimate fighters for their size. 

I have no worries heading offshore chassing bluefin of 25-80kg on my saragosa's and twinpower in the 8000 -10000 range but stopping kings over 1m is a whole different story. 

I went with the 5000 TP today. I felt the weight and it feels good to use for all day. What do you guys think of the 8000 to use all day? Abit too heavy?

Also I have some stuff I need to find out:

1) I got the brand new TP and when I spin it doesn’t seem smooth as described. Also when spinning it will make abit of a spinning whirling noise. Is this normal for new reels? Will it be better once broken in and how long does this take?

2) My Stradic 4000 feels much smoother and lighter when spinning the handle. Is this normal for it to be more smooth than the TP? Anyone have the same two reels can you tell me your experiences.

Paranoid at the moment need some clearance lol

Edited by Spool

Can't say I understand what you are on about with the reel not feeling smooth, surely you spun the handle when you were comparing it with the weight of the 8000, if in doubt take it back and compare it with another.

As for the comments of using it all day, how are we meant to know your age size and general fitness level. As a comparison my daughter was  around 40kg when she started using a 10000 at 10 years old on kings and tuna and never complained of it being hard going. She now uses a 25000 saragosa on marlin tuna and even deep dropping ( now 17 years old and 50kg ). If you are jigging all day in shallow water to 60m a 150-200g jig should be enough, once you get into deep jigging where you are in 100m + then bigger jigs will be needed especially if there's a bit of current and wind. 

As mentioned in my last reply have you caught 1m kings before? The 8000 would be more suitable if targetting them regularly. 

_JDP3938.jpg.de3fa8b1d17f09e1807bbae6306ded6d.jpg

_JDP4156.thumb.jpg.025aaa2ed6d4715b2f1036c3b164993f.jpg

Edited by JonD
  • Like 2

You won't be using the Twinpower to chase breams or flatties up the rivers, nor will you be using the Ci4 to be chasing kings off the rocks. You can't compare the two in my own opinion. 

Edited by Rob81