Only One Red

Berleyguts

While my wife is working in Perth, I flew over to join her for a week We visited Rottnest Island and Fremantle on the weekend and did other “touristy” stuff but the weekdays are all mine...

So... I booked a fishing charter and went chasing snapper on plastics. We left Fremantle fishing harbour about 5:45am with first light around 6:30.  The wind was blowing 18-20 knots from the east against a 2m westerly swell, which made fishing difficult. I was very happy that there were only 2 of us on the charter! We fished plastics on 1oz jig heads and 1st drop down, around first light, I hooked up and boated a 77cm red. I was absolutely stoked to say the least! Of course, the skipper said he starts to get excited around 1.2m! Minimum length here is 50cm wth a bag limit of 2. I had a few more hits and dropped a nice one but my fish was the only one boated all morning. We got back to the Harbour about 11:30 and I am currently on the train back to Perth CBD with a fish wrapped in garbage bags! I am going to have to do my best to clean it in the serviced apartment with whatever crappy knives they give us then give it to my wife’s boss to take home as we fly back to the east coast tomorrow! ??

All in all I had a great morning. My first decent red and on plastics too! Woo hoo! Now to replicate it back in Port Stephens!

8B299A2F-7F4C-490A-A7B1-8C4086F8D1EE.jpeg

63FFD340-9F67-4803-BD66-FD885C06E633.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 6

Lovely red Baz.  Now you have to break the code for Port Stephens and get one out of your own boat.  

I hope to break my duck and get one on plastic this winter.   Ron 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Good fish baz and on sps too! Your berley must have drifted from the bay :) haha! I think the smile says it all. Well done 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Jeff. I thought I was going to be providing plenty of berley - I’ve been that crook with a cold, I nearly cancelled. But my stomach held fine! The skipper reckons the diesel motors attract the fish - says the snapper follow the cray boats.

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Top effort Baz. Pity it was the only one boated. You must have thought you were in for a cracking day? Safe travels back to civilisation. bn

Yes, Neil, I thought I was in for a cracker day - I was already talking tag and release and having a go on a fly rod. It was far too windy, though!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, campr said:

Lovely red Baz.  Now you have to break the code for Port Stephens and get one out of your own boat.  

I hope to break my duck and get one on plastic this winter.   Ron 

Yes, Ron, I picked up a few more tips. Now to convert them to fish from my own boat back home!

Unfortunately, at 77cm, it was 3cm shy of my Length Only Masters. ?

5 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

While my wife is working in Perth, I flew over to join her for a week We visited Rottnest Island and Fremantle on the weekend and did other “touristy” stuff but the weekdays are all mine...

So... I booked a fishing charter and went chasing snapper on plastics. We left Fremantle fishing harbour about 5:45am with first light around 6:30.  The wind was blowing 18-20 knots from the east against a 2m westerly swell, which made fishing difficult. I was very happy that there were only 2 of us on the charter! We fished plastics on 1oz jig heads and 1st drop down, around first light, I hooked up and boated a 77cm red. I was absolutely stoked to say the least! Of course, the skipper said he starts to get excited around 1.2m! Minimum length here is 50cm wth a bag limit of 2. I had a few more hits and dropped a nice one but my fish was the only one boated all morning. We got back to the Harbour about 11:30 and I am currently on the train back to Perth CBD with a fish wrapped in garbage bags! I am going to have to do my best to clean it in the serviced apartment with whatever crappy knives they give us then give it to my wife’s boss to take home as we fly back to the east coast tomorrow! ??

All in all I had a great morning. My first decent red and on plastics too! Woo hoo! Now to replicate it back in Port Stephens!

8B299A2F-7F4C-490A-A7B1-8C4086F8D1EE.jpeg

63FFD340-9F67-4803-BD66-FD885C06E633.jpeg

Nice one Baz, what colour plastic are you using, doesn’t look like coconut ice, might be the secret weapon?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Nice one Baz, what colour plastic are you using, doesn’t look like coconut ice, might be the secret weapon?

I think that was a nuclear chicken Gulp. Skipper said it doesn’t really matter. I think it was more about the right time of day and tide. Weather conditions were ordinary - it sure blows over here!

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

I think that was a nuclear chicken Gulp. Skipper said it doesn’t really matter. I think it was more about the right time of day and tide. Weather conditions were ordinary - it sure blows over here!

Yeah I'm up north at the moment and blowing hard,dust everywhere. Can't wait to get home and get amongst them, ha ha( hopefully)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wizza said:

Great fish and photo,the halo still above your head !!

Thanks. Yeah, that would be the onboard LEDs - makes my hair look even whiter than it is! Might go see the barber and ask him just to cut the grey hairs out! My mates in Sydney saw the photo and reckon it’s photoshopped. I don’t know why they came out like that. They were taken on my phone using HDR and it was around first light. It was weird watching the sunrise over the land, rather than the sea, too!

C3B516FC-16EA-4317-BC66-8634D78DFD09.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Yeah I'm up north at the moment and blowing hard,dust everywhere. Can't wait to get home and get amongst them, ha ha( hopefully)

You FIFO? When are you back? I’m off all next week. Call me up out on the water. ?

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

You FIFO? When are you back? I’m off all next week. Call me up out on the water. ?

Yeah mate 2/1 roster

Heading back home on Thursday and planning on heading out on Monday.

Not sure about heading to Broughton or heading out a bit wider to get a few trag and pearlies. 

If it’s not blowing I might try a bit of slow jigging on some reefs. Marked some ok spots last time out so wouldn’t mind going back

• Like 1

That's a stonka Baz, just catching one fish like that would make the whole trip worthwhile.

I looked at going to Perth once for a trip Sampson fishing out of Hillary's but bought a new motor & gear for my Tinny instead, still on the bucket list though :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

...I looked at going to Perth once for a trip Sampson fishing out of Hillary's but bought a new motor & gear for my Tinny instead, still on the bucket list though :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing ;)

This skipper is an IGFA skipper and apparently pioneered the Sampson fishing over here. If you’re interested, flick me a PM and I’ll give you the details of the charter. I was pretty satisfied. All the rods sported Stellas. Might have to save up for one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

This skipper is an IGFA skipper and apparently pioneered the Sampson fishing over here. If you’re interested, flick me a PM and I’ll give you the details of the charter. I was pretty satisfied. All the rods sported Stellas. Might have to save up for one!

Al is the man if you want to target sambos in WA! 

• Like 1

I was just trawling through my phone and dug out some photos I took of the sounder on this charter. I was excited to see these arches at the time! They’re a bit blurry but you might be able to make out the GPS coordinates if you’re fishing in WA. ?

Note: It’s quite shallow a long way out from Freo. I think you have to go to the other side of Rottnest Island to hit deep water and the shelf.

B2B4307D-F422-4E70-86CC-9FEDACF2D14A.jpeg

6E5777B9-4ACB-4DC6-9D5C-E8490E8FF611.jpeg

C0718FD8-6C7B-4A0F-BB8B-4D88D4D208F6.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts