plenty of fish, not much size

Got out on the kayak around Nambucca chasing bream on the high tide started with the usual technique of working the mangrove edges and shallow weed beds for zip.  After a lot of frustrating casting started woring some deeper weed edges and lamost immediately the bream started coming, most were small but they were really aggressive and fighting well above their size. 

20180517_105053.thumb.jpg.78912940d2902af17c50022d7c563f61.jpg

20180517_105429.thumb.jpg.f643cdc33576d89d1b938ec1a45cd047.jpg

these were the bigger fish needless to say the average size was low but still fun, got a couple of small big eye trevally, pike and flathead to complete the kayak session.

With a bit of time to spare had a bit of a ladbased session to finish off, working along the rocky edges a black spot came out and nailed the lure right at my feet which turned into a tug of war trying to keep him out of the reef but finally convinced him to come ashore

20180511_133324.thumb.jpg.87f11bb6116e00aafc5cf0ac4590b8c0.jpg

he measured up 36cm probably about the limit of cod on 8lb leader any bigger I would have been dusted

continuing to work along managed another reasonable bream a long pause seems to be doing the trick at the moment

20180515_130148.thumb.jpg.8b8005fcb7459eda54bf18a839ab2c4b.jpg

hit the breakwall to finish off the water was crystal clear and the bream were there in good size and numbers but not playing the game then over a big piece of shallow reef a school of blue-fin trevally appeared, these guys can really be frustrating they love to chase lures but often refuse to hit them after about 20 casts I'd all but given up and then all hell breaks loose, the fish took off along the wall somehow avoiding all the other fishing lines in the water then back down again, I'd forgotton how stubborn trevally can be but if you guide them rather than bully them you can bring them in on quite light gear

20180516_122210.thumb.jpg.0fc27ac09570af2e323fece3aeec169e.jpg

a beautiful fish breaking a pb which has stood since 2014, a really nice fish to end an awesome session 

cheers for reading 

Dave 

Another fantastic report with pics Dave. Oh, how I envy you your youth and skill. That Black Spot Cod is a magnificent looking fish as is the Blue Fin Trevally. You certainly know what you're doing. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

Looks like a great session Dave,shame about the size but looks like fun. Better than work.

Also the Trevally could be a Thicklip Trevally rather than a Bluefin. Good looking fish.

cheers mate, your right it's a "thicklip trevally" a mate said the same thing this arvo, I can see the difference now just as attractive as a bluefin and I'll never complain about catching something different

6 hours ago, Aardvarking said:

It's funny, this time of year you tend to catch bigger fish, but lethargic fighters and less of them. You were catching heaps of small good fighters, the exact opposite of what you'd expect. Guess that's fishing

you can never predict it, I've caught most of my trevally (all the northern species) in the middle of winter, thats what 
I love about fishing you never know what you'll catch next

13 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

you can never predict it, I've caught most of my trevally (all the northern species) in the middle of winter, thats what 
I love about fishing you never know what you'll catch next

Very true. I caught my first and only hartail in the middle of summer in the middle of the day in a spot known for kingfish not hairtails. A year earlier we went on a week long trip to catch hairtail, and ended up with a kingfish by-catch in the middle of the night in the middle of winter, in a spot known for hairtail.

Edited by Aardvarking
  • Like 2