Big Smoke fishing maybe???

big Neil

So plans have been made and I'm heading o/s till 7th June. When I return to Sydney I'll be able to stay for 4 or 5 days (at least until Monday 11th). If any of you Sydney Raiders would like to take me fishing in your neck of the woods, I would be very grateful. I know I'm being a bit cheeky but what the heck...don't ask, don't complain!  If anyone fancies showing me the ropes with Hairtail or squid or blackfish...they're all on my wish list. I will have transport and (hopefully) be able to find my way around. My mobile number is 0466853633 although I don't have that "global roaming thing" so it's only beneficial when I'm in Australia. I won't have any fishing gear with me either. Cheers, bn 

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

So plans have been made and I'm heading o/s till 7th June. When I return to Sydney I'll be able to stay for 4 or 5 days (at least until Monday 11th). If any of you Sydney Raiders would like to take me fishing in your neck of the woods, I would be very grateful. I know I'm being a bit cheeky but what the heck...don't ask, don't complain!  If anyone fancies showing me the ropes with Hairtail or squid or blackfish...they're all on my wish list. I will have transport and (hopefully) be able to find my way around. My mobile number is 0466853633 although I don't have that "global roaming thing" so it's only beneficial when I'm in Australia. I won't have any fishing gear with me either. Cheers, bn 

G'day BN I would be happy to go fishing with you, we could do a combined Luderick(if I can organise some weed) and John Dory trip if you like? I have a 'vast' amount of fishing tackle including several Luderick outfits and anything else needed to fish for whatever you'd like to have a go at.  As previously stated, I don't have transport and will be home for the next few months recovering from injury, but am getting more mobile each day and sitting on a wharf is best medicine I can think of. My number is 0412 847352 Cheers Waza

2 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

G'day BN I would be happy to go fishing with you, we could do a combined Luderick(if I can organise some weed) and John Dory trip if you like? I have a 'vast' amount of fishing tackle including several Luderick outfits and anything else needed to fish for whatever you'd like to have a go at.  As previously stated, I don't have transport and will be home for the next few months recovering from injury, but am getting more mobile each day and sitting on a wharf is best medicine I can think of. My number is 0412 847352 Cheers Waza

Thanks Waza. Have entered your number into my phone and will be in touch when I arrive back in Oz. Cheers mate. bn

• Like 1

Neil. I have a few things to sort out with the wiring into my motor and a couple of odds and ends to touch up on the boat but will try and get it ready for when you are here. I have a spare bed here but only a single so if your good lady is with you, you would have to stay in separate rooms to sleep and you may have to rough it a little on makeshift bed but you are more than welcome to stay here if you like.

We could do a night session for Hairtail and a day session in either Botany Bay or Port hacking, OR possibly both if you feel up to it. I have all the gear needed. Have a mate who is a ACE with luderick so may also be able to arrange a day with him.

Frank

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Neil. I have a few things to sort out with the wiring into my motor and a couple of odds and ends to touch up on the boat but will try and get it ready for when you are here. I have a spare bed here but only a single so if your good lady is with you, you would have to stay in separate rooms to sleep and you may have to rough it a little on makeshift bed but you are more than welcome to stay here if you like.

We could do a night session for Hairtail and a day session in either Botany Bay or Port hacking, OR possibly both if you feel up to it. I have all the gear needed. Have a mate who is a ACE with luderick so may also be able to arrange a day with him.

Frank

Sounds good Frank. Should be right for accom when I get back on 7th June. My wife's aunt lives in the shire and will (hopefully) be back home by then...thanks for the offer. May need somewhere to leave my car while I'm o/s though?? Any suggestions to avoid the extortionists at the airport? I have your mobile number and will be in touch. Text if you can help re parking situation please. Catch u soon. bn

Neil. You are welcome to leave the car on my front lawn, I have parked there for 32 years and never had my car touched.

I could drive you to the airport only takes 20 minutes from my place and pick you up on your return.

My ACE mate lives in the shire so maybe good for a luderick fish?.

Frank

12 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I can bring the weed, mate I owe you a fish. And Waza I'd like to try for John Dory.

...and what about the stuff for catching the Blackfish Ryder? LOL. Thanks guys looks like my time in Sydney is pretty much organised. Can somebody let the fish know, so that they turn up too. Getting excited. Holiday AND saltwater fishing too. My phone number (in Oz) is 0466853633 and I'll be back in Sydney on 7th June. Meeting up with Frank S then. Waza is going to take me for a go at JD (to be arranged)...experts left, right, and centre. Can you text me your mobile number please Ryder? I have Frank and Wazas. Cheers and thanks guys. Neil

• Like 1

I have come up with a brilliant idea (another one). 

Why don't you three guys make the fishing arrangements and when Frank picks me up (or I go to his place in Berala), he can fill me in on what's happening. I really appreciate you all offering to take me along to learn some new experiences in the saltwater and am really looking forward to it. Whatever you plan, I'll be in it. Let me know if this is ok with y'all please. I'll probably head home on Tuesday 12th June. bn

8 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

remember Neil if you make your way further north your always welcome  at my place and we'll hit some fish

Thanks Dave that would be excellent. Might happen with a stopover on the way. Cheers and tight lines. Keep the posts happening, love reading them. bn

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

I have too many holidays accrued and my company wants me to take some time off. If you and Wazatherfisherman are heading out fishing in Sydney harbour I'd love to join you both - I just need a little heads up so I can clear my schedule for that particular day. I have a few locations for cabbage weed for the blackfish and I think my squidding skills are pretty good (I also have plenty in the freezer so we might try for a shorebased king).

Keen to meet you both.

Waza - Croydon is not a bad run from my place in Lane Cove. I drive a small hatchback with a stupid amount (only from a passenger perspective but not mine) of fishing gear in it but can make it work. :lol:

Regards,

Derek

5 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi Neil,

I have too many holidays accrued and my company wants me to take some time off. If you and Wazatherfisherman are heading out fishing in Sydney harbour I'd love to join you both - I just need a little heads up so I can clear my schedule for that particular day. I have a few locations for cabbage weed for the blackfish and I think my squidding skills are pretty good (I also have plenty in the freezer so we might try for a shorebased king).

Keen to meet you both.

Waza - Croydon is not a bad run from my place in Lane Cove. I drive a small hatchback with a stupid amount (only from a passenger perspective but not mine) of fishing gear in it but can make it work. :lol:

Regards,

Derek

Hey Derek, good to hear from you. Everybody is being asked to take extra hols these days eh? I have no idea what's been arranged at present as I asked FrankS, Waza, Ryder to come up with some arrangements and I will GLADLY fit in with them. It's quite some time since I wet a line in saltwater and I'm so looking forward to it and catching up with some of the gurus from Sydney. I'll be back in Sydney on 7th June (Thursday) and will be staying till at least 11th (Monday). I will have my car to get around and will be staying in the shire. Can I suggest that you liaise with FrankS or Waza with regard to what, where, etc. Methinks the fish had better look out with all this talent around. Cheers, bn

9 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Neil,

Keen to meet you both.

Regards,

Derek

Hi Derek look forward to meeting you also. My motto is "you can never have too much fishing gear" and I have an 'obscene' amount, mostly in storage at Kennards but will go and retrieve whatever is necessary beforehand- will be in touch re trip/s within the next week. So far, as far as I know, FrankS, Ryder, Big Neil, Yourself and I are the 'posse' with JDory, Squid, Luderick and now possibly kingies on the fishing menu over the course of the time Neil is here but am open to any suggestion/s as I was just trying to accommodate his fishing wish list, due to him living in the country(MIA I believe)   Regards Waza

Edited by wazatherfisherman
Didn't say bye!

7 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Derek look forward to meeting you also. My motto is "you can never have too much fishing gear" and I have an 'obscene' amount, mostly in storage at Kennards but will go and retrieve whatever is necessary beforehand- will be in touch re trip/s within the next week. So far, as far as I know, FrankS, Ryder, Big Neil, Yourself and I are the 'posse' with JDory, Squid, Luderick and now possibly kingies on the fishing menu over the course of the time Neil is here but am open to any suggestion/s as I was just trying to accommodate his fishing wish list, due to him living in the country(MIA I believe)   Regards Waza

Hey Waza. So looking forward to catching up with you all in Sydney. Getting all the packing, etc arranged for an early start tomorrow. I'm going to ring FrankS today and sort out details for getting to the airport on time. After that, whatever any (or all) of you arrange will be like Christmas for me. I love chasing the species that I do but there's still so much variety (of techniques) to try. Hope to see you all somewhere near the water in a few weeks time. Cheers bn

Hi Gents,

Any preferences as to where to fish? I normally fish the Neutral bay to Mosman area of Sydney harbour with trips up to Middle Harbour and Pittwater. I can pick Waza up from Croydon if the preference is to fish the South side of Sydney but locations would need to be suggested - something with a few options within an easy drive. I don't have the benefit of local knowledge down that way as I rarely fish South of the bridge.

Balmain might be a nice compromise geographically. There are a few locations which can be fished. There are blackfish in that area. There are also kings and passing squid.

With Big Neil here for a few days we can try a few different locations.

Two weeks to lock something down and I plan to apply for leave on Friday the 8th of June.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

Hi Gents,

Any preferences as to where to fish? I normally fish the Neutral bay to Mosman area of Sydney harbour with trips up to Middle Harbour and Pittwater. I can pick Waza up from Croydon if the preference is to fish the South side of Sydney but locations would need to be suggested - something with a few options within an easy drive. I don't have the benefit of local knowledge down that way as I rarely fish South of the bridge.

Balmain might be a nice compromise geographically. There are a few locations which can be fished. There are blackfish in that area. There are also kings and passing squid.

With Big Neil here for a few days we can try a few different locations.

Two weeks to lock something down and I plan to apply for leave on Friday the 8th of June.

Regards,

Derek

Hi Derek at this point I'm thinking about Cremorne Wharf as there are normally Blackfish on the western side this time of year, it is comfortable and if we 'secure' that side will be out of commuters/ferries way and I take a milk crate to sit on(at the moment I need to as am recovering from serious leg and lung injuries) I don't know if JDory will have 'penetrated' that far up yet as it simply hasn't been cold and the 'trigger' to migrate them into the harbour (I believe) is usually a reasonably strong south to north  flowing offshore current combined with predominantly SW-Westerly Winds and cooler water temperature. Having said this, as we all know, it is both the right time of season and a good location if they are around. There are often a few squid(although I haven't found it a reliable squid spot for numbers) and Kingfish often 'patrol' the location. Last time I fished there a large kingfish ruined my Blackfish session. A more reliable Dory spot is Balmoral but the tides that week are low in the morning, which doesn't really enthuse and that's why I'm leaning towards Cremorne. As the 'general air flow' has now swung towards westerlies I guess we'll just have to monitor the forecast as to wind strength. My 'basic' plan is to go somewhere in that area and hope JD's are around by then(if not already). Other options are Musgrave St, Kuraba and for weekdays(far too crowded on weekends) Balmoral or Clifton Gardens. I'd like your thoughts as the area is your usual haunt. John Dory were the original primary target and lowering some Dory lines down while Blackfishing and tossing a squid jig out seemed the favoured idea

Hi Waza,

While I was thinking the Cremorne area in general I didn't put it forward (yet) as I didn't want to hijack what others had already put in motion. At least we have a few days to play with so we can do multiple locations. One of the things I like about the Cremorne suggestion is I have a number of spots in the surrounding area which should be pretty easy for us to get to (even with your current health issues) and I can get easy parking.

I'll PM you with a few more ideas or probably call you for a chat over the next week. Saves me suffering from RSI from all the typing. :lol:

The weed and sand for the blackfish I can organise the day before and I've got some pretty good squid stocks in the freezer for the kings. I'll probably do some squidding sessions before then and then we can also try on the day and introduce Neil to the techniques and bait preparation.

Ryder and FrankS - what were your thoughts about locations which are convenient for us all to get to?

Regards,

Derek

I will be picking Neil up from the airport Thursday some time after 10am and taking him back to my place.

I suggest I fire up the BBQ and if you blokes can get to my place anytime around 12 noon or shortly after we can have a bit of a sausage sizzle and a decent chin wag face to face, I will supply the snags onions bread etc if you can bring what you want to drink yourselves and remember you will be driving home. I have coffee tea etc but no beer.

I will start another thread to invite those who want to meet Neil while he is here in Sydney.

Frank

On 22/05/2018 at 6:14 PM, frankS said:

I will be picking Neil up from the airport Thursday some time after 10am and taking him back to my place.

I suggest I fire up the BBQ and if you blokes can get to my place anytime around 12 noon or shortly after we can have a bit of a sausage sizzle and a decent chin wag face to face, I will supply the snags onions bread etc if you can bring what you want to drink yourselves and remember you will be driving home. I have coffee tea etc but no beer.

I will start another thread to invite those who want to meet Neil while he is here in Sydney.

Frank

Hey Frank that sounds great. I'll get a carton of cold ones, if you think it's a good idea, on the way back to ur place. I need to contribute something towards the event. Anyway you can let me know what's happening when I return to Sydney. I'm very happy to leave it all for you guys to sort out. For me it will be a wonderful experience getting to chat with such accomplished anglers with 100s of years experience between them.. See you all on or about 7th... till then cheers,bn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, would you be able to post or PM me your fishing itinerary if you decide on Cremorne/North side? I live close, and would love to meet and say hi when I have a chance - in case you have some local fishing sessions planned for mornings.

Well I have ran into a slight problem with the wiring of the motor on the boat so sadly it won't be up and running for this week.

So I'm more than happy to fish Cremorne wharf on the Friday and looking forward to meeting you guys at my place for sizzle and chin wag Thursday afternoon.

Waza if you can get to Lidcombe station I could pick you up my mobile 0406 906 116.

Cheers Frank

Cremorne wharf on Friday. Sweet. Means I'll try and pick up some fresh squid over the next few evenings and have a stash of squid in the freezer as a fallback.

I'll also try and get some cabbage weed after work on Thursday.