Warranty n Reel Care

Spool

1) Is this true or completely false? Does Shimano void warranty if you use different brand of oil and grease on their reels? I also heard that Shimano don’t make oil anymore so I am using Daiwa oil and Okuma grease is this all okay for warranty?

2) When removing old grease and oil to apply new. What is the best way to remove?

3) I usually clean my reel with water and a damp cloth. Was wondering is there a better way to remove the salt?

Thanks FRaiders.

For number 2, acetone is a good way to get rid of old grease, because it is very strong and doesn't leave a residue. Keep in mind it is a pretty dangerous chemical, wear gloves and avoid breathing in the fumes. It will also destroy anything painted surface or plastic, so only use it to clean purely metal parts.

If you have one, an ultrasonic cleaner is a great way to clean bearings and parts very easily and quickly. Fill a little glass jar with the acetone and put it in the cleaner, but don't put the acetone straight in because it will destroy the plastic. If you don't have one I would recommend buying a cheap one off ebay for 10 bucks or so, because without one it is really hard to get all the grease out of bearings, and it takes ages.

1. I occasionally get my reels upgraded with different carbon drag washers and during this upgrade i get a service as well. Shimano has never complained or said anything when I have had a reel serviced with them after the upgrade has been done. YMMV

2.  Acetone or if you're old school methylated spirits. You can soak or wipe away.

3. Spray bottle with demineralised water, spray and wipe. You can also lock the drag on sealed reels and wash them under the tap. MUST LOCK DRAG before washing under the tap!

2 hours ago, connico said:

MUST LOCK DRAG before washing under the tap!

Locking the knob down tends to over squash the drag discs and grease out. Most decent reels these days have a rubber seal on top of the drag. No need to lock the knob down on them. 

Every reel i own gets the following treatment and most of gear gets used and abused - left exposed to spray  and wind at the front of my center console. I dont own any cheap and nasty gear but have plenty of gear that is 15 plus years old (TLD's , Stradics, Torium) and the gearing/drags are still as good as new. The reels are left with the drags done up at "strike" while in the boat, when i get home i rinse them with the hose on a "shower" setting, wash them with a soapy sponge and then wash down again. I put them away after shaking off excess water and the next day back all the drags off and give a light spray with Tackleguard . I dont service my reels unless their is a problem , and to be honest cant be bothered doing it myself these days so send them to Shimano for any problems and that would be at the rate of 1 reel per year out of about 20 reels. My bail rollers all roll, my drags are smooth and my gears dont grind- reels are much better than they were when I started and simply dont need a huge amount of service- as long as they have all the salt cleaned off them and feel smooth there is no need to stuff around.