LBG setup

Mutch22

Hey guys was down south yesterday fishing for kings, we do a lot of live baiting but a fair few guys down there had the big over head reels with the short game fishing rods it's got me interested in a big way I want to live bait for tuna this winter and really want to get into this properly I'm thinking about investing in a overhead setup I have a few high end spin rod and reels but I don't have any experience in the overhead rod and reel department  do any guys have any advice on what type of setup I'll be needing ?!

cheers lads 

If you’re down Currarong way, Beecroft Peninsula, you can go with a shorter rod because it’s deep in close and you don’t have to deal with so much lower rocks at your feet. My current 15kg game rod was originally built as a 10kg rod on a JS980X blank (6ft) with standard Fuji guides and a roller tip. It was used land based and in a boat when I could get a ride. I found I could get a bait out under a balloon OK if I could find the right drift. My reel in those days was a Daiwa Sealine 450 star drag which caught a fair few fish. However, a lever drag is a better option and I now use (in the boat) a Shimano Tyrnos 30 2 speed ($349 at the time from Dinga, now site sponsors) and I recently bought a 20 2 speed privately (new in box) for $250 - couldn’t resist. If you can get your hands on some old Fishing World or Modern Fishing magazines you can find lots of useful articles on LBG. Steve Starling, John Ashley and others wrote a lot of articles on LBG before they got into boats. ?

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

If you’re down Currarong way, Beecroft Peninsula, you can go with a shorter rod because it’s deep in close and you don’t have to deal with so much lower rocks at your feet. My current 15kg game rod was originally built as a 10kg rod on a JS980X blank (6ft) with standard Fuji guides and a roller tip. It was used land based and in a boat when I could get a ride. I found I could get a bait out under a balloon OK if I could find the right drift. My reel in those days was a Daiwa Sealine 450 star drag which caught a fair few fish. However, a lever drag is a better option and I now use (in the boat) a Shimano Tyrnos 30 2 speed ($349 at the time from Dinga, now site sponsors) and I recently bought a 20 2 speed privately (new in box) for $250 - couldn’t resist. If you can get your hands on some old Fishing World or Modern Fishing magazines you can find lots of useful articles on LBG. Steve Starling, John Ashley and others wrote a lot of articles on LBJ before they got into boats. ?

What he said!

Also if you can find any articles by Bobby Russo, a local LBG legend in the 80s. He wrote the occasional article for fishing world.

Not sure if you are allowed to fish The Tubes anymore but certainly there were many great Yellowfin and black marlin takes from there.

Cheers

Jim

Tubes is still open- good luck with a landbased tuna in winter these days- last one was caught in about 1989! Look seriously your best hope for tuna off the rocks is the north coast in autumn, and thats a different scene to the Jervis Bay fishery. Longer rod- 8-9 ft, probably better off spinning than livebaiting as livies can be really hard to get other than at Tomaree and Charlotte- lighter gear , I mainly fished 10kg up there as the fish are mainly Longtails and mack tuna- biggest issue is getting sharked

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Tubes is still open- good luck with a landbased tuna in winter these days- last one was caught in about 1989! Look seriously your best hope for tuna off the rocks is the north coast in autumn, and thats a different scene to the Jervis Bay fishery. Longer rod- 8-9 ft, probably better off spinning than livebaiting as livies can be really hard to get other than at Tomaree and Charlotte- lighter gear , I mainly fished 10kg up there as the fish are mainly Longtails and mack tuna- biggest issue is getting sharked

Last one taken in 1989!  OMG!  Shows how old I am but more to the point how disappointing it is.

Sorry if mislead anyone... obviously I am a little out of touch with the South Coast LBG scene. Sometimes I forget how blessed we were in what is approaching 4o years ago.

We live baited off those rocks huddled up against the cliffs behind The Tubes for long sessions which would of course be much less likely to result in a end in a tuna or marlin than bag one. There were certainly some long waits between fish.

Hooking them of course was only part of the problem while getting spooled or pulling a hook was too often the result.

Anyway... here a link to the  Jervis Bay of the past on Steve Starling's website

http://www.starlofishing.com/angling-adventures/paradise-lost-jervis-bay-reflections/

...and here is Bobby Russo's account ... its an interesting read.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Cheers boys appreciate the feed back! I was fishing the tubes on Saturday!  I'll definately have a read up on those articles appreciate that mate, I'm tossing up between maybe a  daiwa saltiga dogfight 8000  still looking at rods to match or an overhead it's just I have never used a overhead but it's definately on the cards there's way too much gear to buy it drives me crazy but I love it hahha!

cheers guys appreciate the help!

That reel will be ok for longtails/kings , small tuna - line capacity not up to scratch for marlin off the rocks, especially knowing what is sometimes hooked at the tubes-with the warm water thats hanging around- i reckon their should be a few longtail still around on the north coast but im long out of that scene so dont have a grapevine these days.