JeffCarrera

Hello raiders!

so I've recently started surf fishing for whiting. My first couple of attempts was somewhat successful, as I managed to get on to some fish (mainly targeting whiting/bream). On both occasions the fish were biting but I had to cut both outings short as I was shivering in the cold being wet from the waist down. Even today while I was fishing from 10am-12nn I couldn't fish for much longer as being wet plus the cold wind made it unbearable (was just wearing short pants and shirt + windbreaker jacket for the top).

What sort of clothing do you guys normally wear when surf fishing in winter to keep warm (I know it's not really winter yet, but I plan to fish the surf in winter too to avoid the crowd). Any thoughts/experiences on noeprene waders with gum boots or wetsuits? waders seem a bit bulky and wetsuits might be good but your feet will get wet too?

thanks in advance for any input.

I go wetsuit bottom half, wetsuit socks and shimano evairs. Waders are warmer/drier but mobility is restricted if youre walking a long way and are a hazard if you get in the water

• Like 1

Google kokotat dry pants and have a look at them. They're a light, gortex wader and are sealed around your waist so if you get knocked over in the shore break they won't fill with water like a more traditional wader, plus they're comfortable to walk long distances in.

I've been using them for a couple of years and haven't found anything better. I wear a pair of hard soled wetsuit boots over the feet and a pair of tracky dacks underneath keep you warm as toast.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Google kokotat dry pants and have a look at them. They're a light, gortex wader and are sealed around your waist so if you get knocked over in the shore break they won't fill with water like a more traditional wader, plus they're comfortable to walk long distances in.

I've been using them for a couple of years and haven't found anything better. I wear a pair of hard soled wetsuit boots over the feet and a pair of tracky dacks underneath keep you warm as toast.

Which model pants do you have mate? Do you run the goretex sock model or just the gasket and wear neoprene booties for warmth? I would imagine that the gore tex socks might not be so crash hot for walking around in shoes full of  sand.

Wetsuit bottom + wetsuit shoes + thermal top + fishing shirt + wind breaker makes for a comfortable fishing. Also I don't actually get into the water. The winter bream and whiting are 15m from the shore line.

Are you standing in the water??? Even for normal / summer fishing I don't stand in the surf... 

Edited by connico

1 hour ago, Captain Spanner said:

Which model pants do you have mate? Do you run the goretex sock model or just the gasket and wear neoprene booties for warmth? I would imagine that the gore tex socks might not be so crash hot for walking around in shoes full of  sand.

I wear the ones with the sock. The wetsuit boots keep all the sand out. You need a pair of boots 1 size larger than your normal shoes to allow for the gortex. I wear a pair of thick socks under the kokotats and stay warm and dry. 

I might look into it, thanks for that. Do you know any physical stores that stock the stuff that i can walk into and look at it? Do the chest parts of the bibs detach or are they one piece with the pants. I think i might get a bit hot with a bib all the time.

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

I live down the coast and got mine in a local kayak shop, kayakers use them to stay dry in winter too.

Mine never came with a bib, just a velcro adjustable, stretchy waist band. 

Thank you. Is that the shop on the left (heading north) in the industrial area near the big round abouts in South Nowra near Oportos etc?

Wetsuit pants + Wetsuit Socks/booties is the best approach IMO. They're comfortable, keep you warm and if you did get knocked over they're safe unlike waders.

I searched for a bit and tried a few different products but found the above combination the best. 

I got some 3mm neoprene pants (think the brand was aropec) and 5mm neoprene boots/socks (idry).

I'd go the slip over wetsuit boots as opposed to zip up one's, I initially was using zip up one's but it's just annoying having to get the sand out of them and the zipper after every trip.

Those 5mm lined neoprene boots might be overkill for during the day - I wear this fishing at night in the middle of winter and find it keeps me warm. The top half is up to you, I usually just wear a t shirt and a good wind/rain jacket with Velcro cuffs so I can keep the wind out. If it's really cold I'll wear a thermal top underneath all of that. 

How big the surf that you're in? How deep do you go? I have both wetsuit and waders as options - for calmish waters I usually go waders as there is pretty much no chance of me tipping over. Plus it's quicker to get on and quicker to clean and dry, cheaper as well (~50 on eBay). Any rougher waters , definitely go a permutation of wetsuits boots, top and bottom.

On 5/22/2018 at 3:49 PM, ChristoperHrycyk said:

Good to hear you getting some...what bait you been using...I'm crap of beach worming...

yeah, just starting to learn this style of fishing. I use beach worms, bloodworms. Most would say live worms are the best but I find that frozen ones work good too.

3 hours ago, anthman said:

How big the surf that you're in? How deep do you go? I have both wetsuit and waders as options - for calmish waters I usually go waders as there is pretty much no chance of me tipping over. Plus it's quicker to get on and quicker to clean and dry, cheaper as well (~50 on eBay). Any rougher waters , definitely go a permutation of wetsuits boots, top and bottom.

I try not to go when the swell is above 2 meters. I usually wade up to knee/just above knee level depending on how far I wanted to cast, but yeah as connico stated, whiting  and bream are usually close from the shore so I probably don't have to wade in the water at all. Might need to go a little further though when spinning for tailor, salmon etc.

Thanks everyone for the response and advice. Looks like wetsuit pants socks and shoes combo is the way to go, but since waders aren't too expensive I might give them a go too. Definitely worth the sweet white flesh of whiting fillets. Cheers!

Edited by JeffCarrera
add sentence

PVC waders on top of thermals (or thick cotton shorts) and thick wool socks are ok for me for short (a few hours) wet winter fishing sessions.  If there is a risk of falling I would use wetsuit parts, otherwise consider breathable waders.

I tend to wrap my kids pretty well in secondhand or old season snow suits from St Vinies etc but for myself it's just old tracksuit pants and any old jacket or coat I can get my hands on. It's funny I remember a time before kids when both my wife and myself bought ourselves decent gear from boating stores and camping stores around Sydney, now the kids get all the good stuff.

Also check out motorcycle pants as they are often well made, warm and waterproof, though they can get a bit to warm.

If I’m not fishing at night it just shorts, bare feet and an old sloppy joe or a swannie. Maybe a light spray jacket. Keep a towel and a change of clothes handy. The fish are usually in close so need to wade out to cast out beyond the breakers. ? At night, trakky daks, maybe still bare feet - I hate sand in shoes and socks and I love the feel of sand between my toes! Oh, and a little bit of rum or port for internal warmth! ?

PS. If it was really, really cold, I’d fish somewhere else like a breakwall or a jetty. ? Of course, then I saved up enough for a boat. ?

• Like 1