Slimy Mackerel, Squid and Yellowtail

kevinc

Hi everyone,

I've been fishing for a while and have been visiting places like Botany Bay, Port Hacking and Port Kembla. Just started trying to catch my own bait and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to target Slimies, Squid and Yellowtail e.g. burley, rigs, techniques? Also, where would I be most likely to find them? I am fishing land-based so my access to certain spots are limited! :D

Kevin,

Hi KevinC,

Welcome to Fishraider.

I've done multiple advice columns on catching squid going back years. Do a search on my posts and take the time to really read them and if you need clarification then please message me. I get a lot of my squid shore based so your limited access is not such a limitation.

Regards,

Derek

Mate for yakkas normally just burley with some mushed up bread and I add some tuna oil  you can add pilchards or what ever you feel to the mix, usually around most wharfs and rock walls  if you keep constitently burleying up they usually show up by the hundreds, you can use the sabiki bait jigs although they can be a pain in the arse when they tangle,  I prefer just a size 12 hook  unweighted with a small bit of bread or pilchard even tiny bits of chicken breast works good pretty hardy.

• Like 1

Well done KevinC and I appreciate the update.

If you can catch cuttlefish then you can catch squid. They have smaller tentacles (apart from the gigantic cuttlefish that I've seen turn up near the heads) than squid so it can be a little harder to jag them. I came up with a rig to specifically catch them as I think they make a great snack sized bait for the kings.

Up in Pittwater I know a few people who prefer using cuttlefish over squid for chasing kings.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

What I found the cuttlefish would do is, they would grab the jig from the side and wouldn't go for the end with the prongs so it made it hard to hook them.

Cheers,

Kevin

That is where the short sharp jab with the rod tip comes in to set the tines of the squid jig. My rig for chasing cuttlefish uses a small squid jig such as a 1.8 or a 1.6 which makes it easier to hook up.