Berowra creek firing combined monthly report

mattfinn

Over the last month I’ve been fishing berowra creek from the ferry up to the scouts hall fairly regularly in the kayak. I’m compiling a large report as the fishing has been really good on the flattys and bream working either strike pro blades, 4.6gm in shallows and the 9.6gm in deeper water around the boats. My other go too lure has been the 100mm squidgy biotough wriggler in bloodworm which has nailed me a lot of flathead over 40 and a cracking bream I got today that went 43cm. 

Its all been a major learning curve for me after a disappointing bass season, and I’ve found it most productive working mangrove edges and the drop offs from the sand flats. One day from memory I had a hot bite for thirty minutes where I waded the flat and was getting fish a cast. 

Today I launched at the ferry on the west side (around 9:30) and worked around the moorings to start the day. Was frustrating to say the least, snapping line, and then losing a 70cm+ flatty next to the yak in the first half hour was hard to take. Was pretty quiet for a while with the drop of the tide so I made the decision to work up the creek to the begining of the flats where the waters quite deep and lots of weed beds. This paid off with some good mid 30s flathead around but was highlighted by a 43cm bream I caught on previous mentioned squidgy wriggler. Was a very solid fight and had my fears I’d pull the hooks on it, quick picture and I released him for another day. Called it not long after this to finish the day on a high, back in time to start work at 4. 

Thanks for reading. Will put up another report after the weekend. 

AFCB0E5F-7380-4E0C-986E-C8A4D09F5AAB.jpeg

2B71E028-BF16-4335-831B-743FDDA87847.jpeg

35928D9A-A9D5-4666-874A-AAFEE1F0D5F3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottyboy said:

Top report mate. Haveyou ever fished further up the creek past Crosslands? I yous to catch bass and a few bull shark's up there back in the day. 

Cheers Scotty 

I have landbased around the galston gorge area but due to the lack of rain didn’t this season. I do plan to fish further up the creek past crosslands next summer. A mate of mine that originally showed me crosslands has and had some success. I’m curious how far up you have to go before it turns fresh. 

At the waterfall.  There are pools above it with bass, But I am going back 30 years !!!!  The creek in front of the  Crosslands boat ramp has a pool at the end , have caught Flathead there.  Howard.

A couple of km's up from the reserve there is a series of rock bars and depending on tide height and how much rain the fresh will met some where there. Thats were the bull shark's live. 

Cheers Scotty 

Nice outing in the kayak. It's a beautiful spot up there.  I've had a few kayak trips from Berowra lately, with only minor success so far. A few small bream but about it. Have you found any particular phase of the tide (end/start of run in/out) works best?

I took the kayak downriver to Calabash Bay and got a few flatties. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 10:47 AM, seasponge said:

Nice outing in the kayak. It's a beautiful spot up there.  I've had a few kayak trips from Berowra lately, with only minor success so far. A few small bream but about it. Have you found any particular phase of the tide (end/start of run in/out) works best?

I took the kayak downriver to Calabash Bay and got a few flatties. 

I prefer to launch at the ferry on a run in tide and work my way up. Or I like to launch top of the high at crosslands and work the run out...

I find the the biggest thing is just staying in contact with the lure especially on the drop. Go heavier blades around the 7-10gm until you get into 3m or less I find is pretty successful. 

6 hours ago, mattfinn said:

Heres a video of the bream I nailed recently. Have a lot of editing to do but was recently sightfishing flatties in a just over a foot of water on the bottom of the run out. 

Cool vid, nice fish, funny commentary ?

15 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Cool vid, nice fish, funny commentary ?

Yeah, about that. Thought it was best to just mute it need to find some new “safe” words... hahaha

12 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work! That bream certainly gave you some stick. Ahhhh, the challenges of netting a good fish from a yak! Well done :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Sure did, was glad I didn’t have to go too hard on him with the open water, original footage was over 3 minutes but I cut it down. Good stalemate at one point, have since invested in a slightly longer net which made my last trip a lot easier. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mattfinn said:

Yeah, about that. Thought it was best to just mute it need to find some new “safe” words... hahaha

Sure did, was glad I didn’t have to go too hard on him with the open water, original footage was over 3 minutes but I cut it down. Good stalemate at one point, have since invested in a slightly longer net which made my last trip a lot easier. 

Yes normally I would have removed the vid but you muted after the one magic word. Apologies to the ladies and young folk. 

I have had this problem many a time videoing raiders at work :(

Look forward to more just be careful of the audio content ;)

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Yes normally I would have removed the vid but you muted after the one magic word. Apologies to the ladies and young folk. 

I probably would not worry too much about a bit of language. It seems that the "F" word is pretty much part of most people’s vocabulary. It certainly gets used a lot on the golf course…. Especially when I play.. ?

On 6/8/2018 at 9:57 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Yes working on it. Sorry everyone 

• Like 2