Trailer repairs

garfield28

G'day all, 

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has fixed up a boat trailer that had a bit or rust or found it not worth it and bought new or second hand? 

My trailer is in need of repair mainly in what I guess you would call the undercarrige, the part that has the axle and spring connected to it,  and I'm contemplating having a go at buying some lengths of SHS and re-welding a new undercarriage and either get it hot dipped or buy it already pre-galed. 

Has anyone else here done something  similar or maybe more and found it cost effective and easy enough to do?  I'm hoping so and would love to hear what you did and possibly a few pics. 

Thanks 

Geoff 

1 hour ago, garfield28 said:

G'day all, 

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has fixed up a boat trailer that had a bit or rust or found it not worth it and bought new or second hand?

I replaced the cross members on my old trailer years ago with new ones welded in and it was well worth it to me as it cost a small % of a new/second hand trailer.

My trailer is in need of repair mainly in what I guess you would call the undercarrige, the part that has the axle and spring connected to it,  and I'm contemplating having a go at buying some lengths of SHS and re-welding a new undercarriage and either get it hot dipped or buy it already pre-galed. 

The running gear like axle/s springs,hangers,hubs etc are usually the first to go on any trailer especially ungalvanised ones(Getting rarer on boat/trailers) along with the last and second last cross members and 1\3rd of the way up from the end of the side rails towards the front of the trailer.

Getting things like trailers hot dipped galvanized can be an expensive excercisd depending on prep and size.

The issue with buying any steel you plan on welding that's already galvanised is you have to prepare that steel by grinding the galvanising off the ends to then weld them together and that weld in itself will need to be protected usually by applying cold gal which is nowhere as good as the hot gal in durability.

Has anyone else here done something  similar or maybe more and found it cost effective and easy enough to do?  I'm hoping so and would love to hear what you did and possibly a few pics. 

Thanks 

Geoff 

I welded new Cross members in my old trailer and new sections of side rail in then cold galed the welds in/out.

It was an easy job for me because that's what I do and if you know how to mark up,cut,weld etc it is a easy weekend job.

I don't have photos as I did it in the early 90,s and didn't bother to take any but if you search on Google I've seen plenty of posts of people building/refurbishing their own trailers.

Hopefully this helps you make a decision mate whether you take the plunge or not.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, garfield28 said:

Geoff. As you would probably know I have built repaired and altered many trailers in my day, sadly not as active these days and too far away to be of help to you.

But it can be done far far cheaper than buying a new trailer and for a welder it's a pretty easy job, just apply twice as many coats of cold gal as you think it needs and leave plenty of drying time between coats.

To have a trailer hot dipped you have to strip it down completely and by the time you do this you could almost have the repair job done.

Frank

Just now, frankS said:

Geoff. As you would probably know I have built repaired and altered many trailers in my day, sadly not as active these days and too far away to be of help to you.

But it can be done far far cheaper than buying a new trailer and for a welder it's a pretty easy job, just apply twice as many coats of cold gal as you think it needs and leave plenty of drying time between coats.

To have a trailer hot dipped you have to strip it down completely and by the time you do this you could almost have the repair job done.

But I will add, IF you are not a experienced welder, pay to have it done.

Frank

5 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Thanks for the tips Fab. I'll get some pics up so you can see the area I'm talking about. 

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Frank

Frank, I do know you have mate, had I been closer I would have come and saw you and asked for some advice or even tried to talk you into helping me :-) 

Thanks for the the advice mate, and I hope you are well, sing out if ever you are up this way Frank you're a legend. 

Here is the undercarriage that has the rust. As you can see it is completely separate from the rest of the trailer so my plane if possible and makes sense money wise is to remake that whole section and bolt it in place of the old rusted one. 

IMG20180527144525.jpg

IMG20180527144543.jpg

You cannot notice it in the pics as much, but the arrowed areas are where it really needs attention. They have previously had plates welded over them in the past it would appear but the rust is pretty bad in these areas. 

IMG20180527144545.jpg

10 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

I’ve got the same problem on the the cross members, Rusting out bad where the bend is.

Got quoted $600 for welding in 2 galvanised ones. A lot cheaper obviously if I do it myself which I’m considering .

Wow,  $600 to have 2 new pieces welded in, could only imagine then how much they'd be asking to replace a whole undercarriage then!!

I had same problem with trailer I bought with my current boat.  Cost me $1000 to replace all cross members.  Repairer said you couldn't weld galvanised steel and could only cold gal.  What a rip-off and waste of money.  Regardless of how hard I tried new members only lasted about 18 months before rusting out from inside.  Was lucky enough to get $600 for it  when 2 blokes desperate for a trailer to relocate moored boats interstate fight over it on ebay after I insisted on inspection before they bid.   I bought a new trailer but went from double to single axles due to cost.  The lesson is make sure new parts are well galled before welding even though welding will still have to be cold galled.

Lesson for all is that cross members have to be well flushed out after use to get rid of salt.  This is easier said than done and I have designed a flushing wand for the job.  Having trouble downloading photos with new PC but will post details on this forum when sorted.   Ron 

The problem welding galvanised steel is you need to grind it off to weld and the heat  produced also effects the area. If you prep the area, paint properly and coat the crap out of it with some form of corrosion prevention it should last for a while.

try not to fully submerge the trailer helps as well

Geoff. It looks to me like except for the front Xmember which attaches to the front draw bar it is a bolt on sub cradle. If I am right an exact copy of the cradle could be welded up with black steel and then taken to the galvaniser and hot dipped, this would make this part of the trailer new and you would only need to have the front Xmember dealt with by cutting and welding and cold galled . You would then not get this part of trailer wet. So should be a lot cheaper than buying new.

I don't know if my health and location could cope with the job but try and find a reasonable fabricator and get a quote, they would need to see trailer to give quote.

Frank

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, garfield28 said:

The main outside rail that holds it all seems to be pretty good still... 

IMG20180527144721.jpg

IMG20180527144727.jpg

IMG20180527144743.jpg

The port side outer frame that is curved looks like there may be a problem as well so may not be as simple as first thought.

Frank

17 hours ago, frankS said:

The port side outer frame that is curved looks like there may be a problem as well so may not be as simple as first thought.

Frank

Will take a closer photo of that whole area Frank but mainly (hopefully) surface rust 

Geoff. If you can see rust on a gal trailer it's coming from the inside out so not good news, unusual for a trailer to rust that far up, the previous owner must have sank the trailer a few times.

The side of that frame can be cut out and piece welded in but IF bottom of rail also rusted it's a lot of work.

Frank

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Geoff. If you can see rust on a gal trailer it's coming from the inside out so not good news, unusual for a trailer to rust that far up, the previous owner must have sank the trailer a few times.

The side of that frame can be cut out and piece welded in but IF bottom of rail also rusted it's a lot of work.

Frank

I know you know your stuff Frank and I respect what you say,  so would you be suggesting a new trailer then mate?