Self centering rollers

Bloggsy

I am wanting to fit self centering keel rollers to my trailer. I have been told by some people that you only need to fit one roller and that is the roller that the keel first contacts other wise the rollers will be fighting against each other.  Others say that you should replace all rollers with the self centering ones. My trailer has 14 keel rollers. Has anyone had experience that they can pass on.

I would lean more towards V skids that guide the centre keel onto the rollers. With self centering rollers you can still drive the boat on crooked if only one at the back.

Could you send me a photo of the trailer set up?, my email is fastrailers@optusnet.com.au and I could advise you more.

Frank

I agree with frankS.... V-skids or V-guides are the way to go.

On my trailer the last set of rollers are mounted on a gimballed cross member. With this design the rollers grab the bow of the boat as you power up, center the hull  and then roll under the hull as the boat moves up the trailer.

But with a bit of cross wind or current the hull could still get pushed to one side and miss  the first keel roller.  So I designed and welded up a variation of the V-skids which I mounted onto the rollers to guide the bow dead straight - this has virtually eliminated hull misalignment in my rig.

The pictures should explain it better than the words .....  Hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers

Zoran

image.png.662ead9f8f0668efbd3af726d3762df2.png

image.png.7ca110de8663604512ac2481775db73c.png

• Like 1

I have had mates try self centering rollers and they weren't impressed with them and they tend to chew out fairly quickly as well.  V skids are much more reliable and you have a wider area to hit if driving on.  Once bow is caught and centered it is easy to stear and correct any angle the boat may be pushed by a side wind.  I had those sprung V rollers at the back of my last rig and thought them great, but configuration at back of my current traiIer doesn't suit them.    Ron