Lake Illawarra whiting

DaveBM

Sorry, no pics, but I got 5 nice whiting in about half an hour yesterday, at the start of the runout tide on the sand banks east of the bridge from the northern shore. Was using pipis from a for-humans seafood shop (about $3 for a double handful!). Fished the last of the rising tide for no result, and was starting to think of home when suddenly every cast was bites ahoy. Largest went 38cm, which was a bit of a struggle with the ultra-light gear - krappy Kmart rod with a 2500 and 2kg line.

Eating notes: I've always liked really fresh sand whiting (I'm from WA, so the almost totally white ones) as sashimi. But when I did that with the smallest of these yellowfins for entree, it was a little too al dente for my wife's taste. I could see what she meant, it was kinda chewy, but the 3yo daughter wolfed it down so good signs there. Obviously the panko crumbed fillets from the rest were superb, so no big drama.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rah said:

Nice write up Mate. I struggle to get a bite in the lake. It does my head in, so i tend not to fish it very often.

Cheers 

Rah

Until Sunday, I'd only ever caught one keeper bream. This was a big improvement.

Pretty new to the area... what would your best landbased tips be around Wollongong?

Edited by DaveBM

6 hours ago, DaveBM said:

Until Sunday, I'd only ever caught one keeper bream. This was a big improvement.

Pretty new to the area... what would your best landbased tips be around Wollongong?

To be honest I never catch anything in the gong. Usually shoalhaven for flatties and around that area in the creeks up in the fresh for bass but both in the warmer months. 

There has to be fish in the lake but I just can't seem to find them. A lot of people tell me you need a boat to hit the drop offs. 

Have caught decent bream in mullet creek but that was about 7 or 8 years ago. Haven't gotten anything over 12cm in there with the kids since. 

I've been scoping Google maps for some new spots lately and have a few I'm keen to try when I have the time. If any produce I'll let you know. 

Have you tried Wollongong harbour?

I've only lived down here for just over a year. Haven't yet found good access to Macquarie rivulet above the Weir to put the kayak in, but when I do I think that would hold some decent bass. 

Cheers

Rah 

Mullet creek under the freeway produces nice sized bream on prawns and as for mac rivulet, think you can access it from behind the now empty nursery near the Albion park turn off roundabout. Not sure how to get a yak in there but have walked up to the fresh for bass and perch. If you want to fish the salt at the rivulet best option would be Darcy Reserve near the car dealerships, has a toilet for the kids

Edited by Lungfai76
Additional info

On 30/05/2018 at 8:22 AM, Lungfai76 said:

Mullet creek under the freeway produces nice sized bream on prawns and as for mac rivulet, think you can access it from behind the now empty nursery near the Albion park turn off roundabout. Not sure how to get a yak in there but have walked up to the fresh for bass and perch. If you want to fish the salt at the rivulet best option would be Darcy Reserve near the car dealerships, has a toilet for the kids

Thanks Lungfai. 

Yeah not the best for yak access there. Haha. 

Will give darcy reserve a go. :)