New or second hand outboard

Allgearnoidea

Hi all,

New to the forum and hoping for some advice.

I bought a 1976 5 metre fibreglass Steber last year. Has a 1975 Johnson 70hp outboard.

Hull is in good condition, but outboard is buggered. Worked well for a while but is now too unreliable.

I was planning on replacing it with either a reasonably new (last 15yrs) outboard (around $4-5k), but my mrs had someone in her ear suggesting something new as more reliable, warranty, last longer etc

Im happy with less power (50hp or so), but at $10k for new I’m finding it hard to justify to myself.

Ill probably use it a couple of times a month.

Any thoughts on if New is worth it? I’ve been told to wait for the boat show as apparently they have good deals. 

Any advice appreciated!

thanks

Jim

Some of my best motors have been 2nd hand and my worst is brand new.

Its unfortunately a little bit of luck of the draw, if buying 2nd hand I would be looking for the newest engine with the lowest hours with documented service history and factor in a full service as peace of mind.

eg

2014 60hp with 80hrs and full service history is better than a

2016 60hp with full service history and 400hrs in my opinion 

P.s also price in fuel line and tank upgrades, batteries, wiring, motor fitting and controls being set up along with gauges.

There are quite often good deals at the Boat show and it is only a couple of months away.  While waiting you can look for 2nd hand as sales are slow and prices are usually less now it's winter.  You can get lucky and find good deals.  About 10 years ago I bought a 60hp Mariner from a town out west that had only been in fresh water and was owned by the local outboard mechanic and proved to be a very reliable up to when I sold it.  

If I were you I would stick to major brands.  There are some cheaper Chinese brands around in your HP range that may be tempting when watching your dollars, however I would leave them alone until they are proven ok.    Ron

The phasing out of carby 2 strokes makes it a bit problematic repowering an old boat. A new 4 stroke can be 4 times what the hull is worth. The extra weight is an issue too. The Etecs are lighter and a bit cheaper. Perhaps you are on the right track looking at second hand motors.   

Regarding Chinese motors the Parsun brand has been on the market for quite a while and there doesn't seem to be too much in the way of problems. Bear in mind though rival dealers hate them so expect a lot of disparaging sales talk.

Mate I’m not sure of the actual costs but if your wife insists on new how can you argue with that!

Most boats are lucky to get used a couple of times a month so don’t worry about that.

I wouldn’t skimp on horsepower though and would much rather a second hand motor near the max rating if the boat than a smaller new one.

I have a 90HP on my 5metre FG and it pushes it along very well.

I think that the 70 would have been a little under powered. My engine is

second hand  ETEC 2010 model. I've been very happy with it, no issues. It just took

a while to find it

I think I'd rather go 2nd hand as new like run in etc any faults might be already fixedand mainly cost 

Mines a 2004 model and it's presents and runs like new 

( 90 hours )

And if it's FG  definately go bigger if your transoms in good solid shape 

Edited by Omally

I dropped near $10,000 on a new Suzuki for an old 1978 Hull 6 years ago and glad I did. I knew I would be keeping the boat for a long time so for me it was worth it. It’s been an awesome engine. 

Buying new there is no risk, no searching and you get exactly what you want straight away. 

2nd hand is cheaper (if you find a good one). 

• Like 1

Oh another word of advice ....

Dealers mark up everything so if I was to to buy a second hand one from a stealer I mean dealer sorry 

May as well buy a new one 

My 2 cents 

Because all they've done is got it from a trade in or whatever gave it a service and doubling what they got it for a lot of good diy threads on here and the net 

Could probably even fix the one you got  with a bit of research 

Just my 2 cents