VHF radio suggestions

adkel53

I am looking to purchase a new VHF radio for my 4.55m Quintrex to replace an old 27 meg one. Required for close inshore work only - up to 3km offshore. Any suggestions as to brands and models I should be looking at (or avoiding!). I note that some have the controls on the face of the unit itself and others (a bit more expensive) have them all on the microphone. Advantages/disadvantages of each?

What length aerial will I need?

1 hour ago, adkel53 said:

I am looking to purchase a new VHF radio for my 4.55m Quintrex to replace an old 27 meg one. Required for close inshore work only - up to 3km offshore. Any suggestions as to brands and models I should be looking at (or avoiding!). I note that some have the controls on the face of the unit itself and others (a bit more expensive) have them all on the microphone. Advantages/disadvantages of each?

What length aerial will I need?

The higher you can get the aerial the better.  

For VHF you should do the licence course.   If you contact Marine Rescue or look on their website, you could go the 1 day course first and it will give you a better idea of what features you may like.  

If you think you want the DSC function I’d be checking what’s compatable with your current electronics. 

• Like 1

Aeriels are tuned to match the radios range but distance covered can improve if you raise the mounting placement such as the top of roof, rocket launcher etc.  It is better to buy matching aerial/radio and some brands have  aeriels in 2 lengths but longer is better.  I prefer base with removeable aerial rather than a fixed one as I remove when traveling and to get it out of the way when casting lures to tuna etc.

I have a GME with front controls and have had no issues so far.   Having controls on mike can be helpful if radio is mounted in an awkward position or you have a wet boat and want to mount in a protected area but they are pretty waterproof these days anyway.   Ron