Port Stephens Wide

Marlin01

Weather looked great so locked in a trip for Monday. Not quite the winds we were after with 10 knots of Northerly on top of left over NE slop but away we go. Launched at Shoal Bay, looked like it would be interesting on the low tide. Livies  were easy, tank full of slimies in 15min along with a few for cut baits. Bashed Out to 80 fathoms, very sloppy. Ran through a couple of current lines but temp was constant. Arrived wet and well tenderised. Rigged the rods with traces sinkers and bait, noticed we had drifted 1.2 kms in 10 minutes, obviously lots of current. Ran back to the mark and scored a king and a nice 2kg red first drop, looking good. Hard work over the next few hours but scraped a bag of reds to 4 kg, a few great kings, big goats and a weird yellow cod?  

Much better run home, entertained by the whales along the way. Low tide meant Shoal Bay was a no go with a shipload of sand on the ramp a car and boat already stuck so split to Halifax which wasn’t much better but managed to get out first attempt. 

Long day, hard work (felt it on Tuesday) but good fun and a great feed of fish. No pics, I was flat out all day. One pic of my share of the vacuumed fillets!

285E14B2-DA9E-40F0-9EEA-76EF131B772B.thumb.jpeg.0aee00dc16ccedbec98de6c7378995c3.jpeg

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Nice feed mate, I've got to get one if those vac seal machines. How long does the fish last in the freezer doing it that way?

I’ve eaten fish frozen for 18 mths and it’s been fine. I would say safely twelve months and it’s like it was caught yesterday! That said buy a good machine (sunbeam is hard to beat) and also good quality bags or rolls, cheap stuff is rubbish and will waste good fish. 

40 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work there! Your persistence paid off. The ramp at shoaly has been shocking of late! I’m assuming you went to almark? 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Not Allmark but not far away, easy 2.5-3knts of current, marked a few big fish mid to top water, maybe sharks. Lots of toads or jackets also, lost lots of gear gets exxy with 32Oz leads 8-( .